Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2006, 15:16   #1
BHPian

Engine Warm Up

Every morning when I start my Lancer (2000 Petrol GLXi), I have to wait for a good 4-5 minutes before the engine starts responding to the throttle. Is this normal?

If I do not wait, the car jerks like crazy and hardly moves. I have no experienced this with the Wagon R - which is ready to go almost immediatly.
Old 14th December 2006, 16:24   #2
BHPian

I had this problem with my Yezdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyst View Post
Every morning when I start my Lancer (2000 Petrol GLXi), I have to wait for a good 4-5 minutes before the engine starts responding to the throttle. Is this normal?

If I do not wait, the car jerks like crazy and hardly moves. I have no experienced this with the Wagon R - which is ready to go almost immediatly.
I had similar problems with my Yezdi, mechanics told me its because of moisture/ water content inside that causes this. Does this give any clue ?

Does the problem happen only in winters or during summer too ?
Old 14th December 2006, 17:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't happen with any MPFi car. At max, you might have to wait 30 secs before you start moving.

I remember having this prob on our carb Esteem but not for 5 mins.

Shan2nu
Old 14th December 2006, 17:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

I face same problem but not for more than 1 - 2 min in CARB M800 i am currently driving. Never ever faced a problem with MPFi car ever. 1 self and car is ready to go even at 1degree temp..
Old 14th December 2006, 17:28   #5

same problem i have to wait more than 10 minutz !!!!!
Old 14th December 2006, 20:08   #6
BHPian

My Esteem dosent like winters

As soon as i start my Esteem 2001 MPFI it takes like 10 minutes to reach normal RPM. It stays between 2000 to 2500 rpm for this time once the engine warms up it comes back to 900rpm. Also in the morning the temp gauge dose not go above 1/4 even if i drive the car for 30KM- Greater Noida Express Highway driving at around 90-100 KMPH . Is that normal for winters.
Old 14th December 2006, 20:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Compression ratio might have dropped. Spark plugs might need replacement.

A petrol car isnt expected to be sluggish to throttle input under normal circumstances.
Old 14th December 2006, 21:42   #8
BHPian

Re: Engine warmup on an EFI car

What I do, when I first get in the car in the morning, is start the engine before doing all my other 'preparing' - i.e. putting sunglasses on, making sure my bag has everything in the right place, waving bye, etc. This should give the engine at least 30 secs of good idle time to warm up.

Then, I gently rev her (still neutral) to almost 2k rpms and let it drop (repeated twice)

Also, when I finally take off, I try to stay in 1st gear until the first 2 - 2.5k rpms before shifting to 2nd.

I know it seems like a dam' ritual (it sorta is!), but doing ALL of the above for me (car in question - Ikon 1.6) really helps with two major issues - engine warmup and the avoidance of fuel 'pooling' in the intake manifold (both of which, I think, are culprits of the much hated 'jerking'). Now the car almost never jerks even at the initial gear shifts of the day.....

However, as theMAG mentioned, no throttle response initially is something seriously wrong, most likely with your ignition......you don't have any ignition timing mods, do you....?
Old 14th December 2006, 21:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

I just pull the choke for 30 secs now days but it still jerks and i sometimes drive with choke for about 50 mtrs.. This is working ok but it still jerks
Old 14th December 2006, 22:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish View Post
As soon as i start my Esteem 2001 MPFI it takes like 10 minutes to reach normal RPM. It stays between 2000 to 2500 rpm for this time once the engine warms up it comes back to 900rpm. Also in the morning the temp gauge dose not go above 1/4 even if i drive the car for 30KM- Greater Noida Express Highway driving at around 90-100 KMPH . Is that normal for winters.
Well this happens to my esteem mpfi too and my brother's zen (mpfi). I was initially worried about this phenomenon and later came to know that its common for all mpfi vehicles to behave like this on cold start. There is a residue of fuel left behind in the fuel injectors at the end of the day and that is the reason for the car to operate at a higher rpm during cold start the next day until the additional fuel is burnt out.
Old 14th December 2006, 23:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Compression ratio might have dropped.
I think you mean compression pressure.

Shan2nu
Old 15th December 2006, 00:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Frankly i never had that problem. I agree car goes to a high rpm but only for 10 secs at max. I will try starting a MPFi tom, may be i am wrong but car never took more than 10 secs to go back to normal rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Well this happens to my esteem mpfi too and my brother's zen (mpfi). I was initially worried about this phenomenon and later came to know that its common for all mpfi vehicles to behave like this on cold start. There is a residue of fuel left behind in the fuel injectors at the end of the day and that is the reason for the car to operate at a higher rpm during cold start the next day until the additional fuel is burnt out.
Old 15th December 2006, 03:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Frankly i never had that problem. I agree car goes to a high rpm but only for 10 secs at max. I will try starting a MPFi tom, may be i am wrong but car never took more than 10 secs to go back to normal rpm.
Agreed..It doesnt take 10 minutes but maybe about 30 seconds for my car and to be on the safer side I leave it on few more seconds and I dont engage the gear (forward or reverse) before letting the engine run for atleast a minute or two when performing a cold start so as to avoid wear and tear that happens at that time.
Old 15th December 2006, 04:57   #14

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

takes my zen mpfi 1min to stabiise when started in the moning.but my hondas and the siena do not face any such problem.even when you start them in the morning they idle at 800-1000 rpm.
i guess its more pronounced with the maruti engines.maybe has something to do with the fact that zen,esteem,baleno have aluminium heads.
Old 15th December 2006, 10:55   #15
BHPian

Starts at 1200 RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
takes my zen mpfi 1min to stabiise when started in the moning.but my hondas and the siena do not face any such problem.even when you start them in the morning they idle at 800-1000 rpm.
i guess its more pronounced with the maruti engines.maybe has something to do with the fact that zen,esteem,baleno have aluminium heads.
In the case of my Petra Petrol the cold start idle RPM is about 1200+ and settles down to about 600-800 in one or two mins. Cold start Idle RPM 800-1000 is a surprise to me, have not seen in any one of my cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks