Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2006, 20:31   #1
BHPian

Swift : Cold Engine, with higher RPM

Hi,

My new Swift, with ~300Kms on odometer, when start in the morning (cold engine) has idling RPM of 1500-1700RPM, however after driving for nearly 3-4 KMs, the idle RPM will be around 800. Is it normal and expected? During high RPM, the engine noise is clearly noticeable in the cabin, with all windows rolled up. Appreciate any info on this.

Also I am hearing rattling sound from front left and rear right doors, even on a decent roads. Any suggestion to fix this issue will be appreciated.

regards,
-manju
Old 14th December 2006, 23:47   #2
BHPian

first of all congrats for your new car. the rpm range is kinda normal for your car. so enjoy. just talk to the maruti guys about the rattles in the 1st service nd they will fix it. they did the same for my baleno
Old 15th December 2006, 00:23   #3
BHPian

Its absolutely normal for the engine to idle at a higher rpm during cold starts till the engine reaches its normal operating temperature. You will notice it idles at a high rpm after a cold start in summers also but the rpm will fall back to its normal level much faster than in winters as the engine heats up faster in summers. Hope it helps
Old 15th December 2006, 04:46   #4

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

the increased idling is normal.its the mpfi system trying to warm the engine.as you drive for a few kms,the idle stabilises around 800rpm as the engine has warmed up.
well a lot of swift owners face this issue.get it rectified in the first service.its nohing serious.
and btw congrats on your new ride.
Old 15th December 2006, 10:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Also I am hearing rattling sound from front left and rear right doors, even on a decent roads. Any suggestion to fix this issue will be appreciated.
There was a rattling problem in the Swifts which were manufactured before May 2006 but I am assuming that your vehicle is very new maybe October or November manufactured.

The rattling might be because of two things. One is that there might be an OEM assembly defect which can very easily be corrected by the service centre guys free of cost. Second if you have speakers fitted in the doors then there might be a fitting problem which the service centre guys will not repair free of cost. So if there are speakers in the doors then I recommend that you first go to the accessory shop from where you got them fitted. He will be able to do it for free.

PS: I bought my Swift in July and I have no rattling problems in the car whatsoever.

Last edited by vikram_d : 15th December 2006 at 10:49. Reason: added PS
Old 15th December 2006, 11:39   #6
BHPian

A slightly elevated RPM during cold start is normal. Since your car is new, it's probably advisable to wait for the engine to reach its operating temperature and take off only after engine revs stabilise at 800.
Old 15th December 2006, 13:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

this is not just in the swift. it applies to all mpfi cars. it is absolutely normal & good for the car. dont worry about it. try to get the rattle fixed though.
cheers
Old 15th December 2006, 14:15   #8
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply. The car was brought on 8th Dec, 06. Below car bonnet it has marked as L06, which sales men told me as Dec'06 as manufacturing month. (A-Jan, B-Feb...L-Dec). Front speakers are on door and rear ones are on parcel tray.

This saturday I will take my car to MASS and see if they can fix it.

Once again thanks for enlighting me on cold start and RPM dependence.

regards,
-manju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks