Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2018, 04:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

University of Canterbury students create world's 1st, 3D-printed titanium engine

University of Canterbury students create world's 1st, 3D-printed titanium engine-ecomarathoncarengine.jpeg

Team of University of Canterbury students designed and built The world’s first 3D-printed titanium internal combustion engine.

The single cylinder engine runs on sustainable, carbon neutral ethanol and is expected to give about 400km per litre of fuel (135km using only 330ml of fuel, which is the fuel tank’s capacity)

The engine and one-person car will compete in the 2018 Shell Eco-marathon Asia in Singapore (March 8-11) – a global event that attracts over 100 teams from tertiary institutes around the Asia-Pacific region.
Last year, with the University’s first entry in the international competition, the UC Eco-marathon team won the Design Award for their car, which was also a world-first, created out of 100% recyclable, vacuum-formed thermoplastic.

Name:  EcoMarathoncar.png
Views: 1346
Size:  730.3 KB

Source
sarathlal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 09:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: University of Canterbury students create world's 1st, 3D-printed titanium engine

Interesting, I was surprised that Titanium can be used for 3D printing. Quick google search explained that :

1. Metal powder is used for printing
2. At each layer, printer sprays the powder and a laser selectively melts the powder (and thus bonds it with previous layer)

This can be a great help for restoration of older cars where parts are not easily available.

NetfreakBombay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 10:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: University of Canterbury students create world's 1st, 3D-printed titanium engine

This is so exciting!

I have seen a 3-D printer in action twice, but on a much, much smaller scale. While it takes an eternity to "print" something, the end product is fascinating.

More iterations, in terms of size, shape and material, will demonstrate how feasible this technology is, in terms of wide-scale use. The applications, if this turns out to be sustainable, are enormous. 3-D printed organs being one of them.
Old 27th February 2018, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: University of Canterbury students create world's 1st, 3D-printed titanium engine

I believe there was another thread about 3D printing where I guess I had raised a similar question: from metallurgical perspective is 3D printing akin to casting or forging?

From what I remember the crystal grains form very differently in casting process compared to forging and that determines the mechanical properties.

These days I read that 3D printing is being touted as a solution for every problem on earth. But is it really?

Last edited by alpha1 : 27th February 2018 at 13:30.
Old 27th February 2018, 13:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Attachment 1735984

Team of University of Canterbury students designed and built The world’s first 3D-printed titanium internal combustion engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The applications, if this turns out to be sustainable, are enormous. 3-D printed organs being one of them.
Thank you for sharing. I don't know much of these things but what little I know - the Spinning Jenny - assembly line production widespread use of electricity in manufacturing - 3D printing. We could be (or most probably are) on the cusp of a revolutionary new method of manufacturing.
GE is making the machines that others will buy to do the 3D printing.https://www.ge.com/reports/epiphany-...manufacturing/
...and GE is using 3D printing to make pieces of its legendary turbofan engines. Boeing is using 3D to make titanium parts of the airframe of the Boeing 787. For quite a few decades after the advent of electricity and the assembly line manufacturing improvements, while notable, had become evolutionary. This seems revolutionary.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 14:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Whats easier and efficient to build ? Molten metal poured into mould or 3d printing ? Or for that matter stamping or forging.

So 3d printing will have its advantages in precision parts manufacturing. Maybe for prototyping complicated designs. Not sure if it can change the complete manufacturing industry. I am just saying what I think and would like to know if I am wrong.

Last edited by srishiva : 27th February 2018 at 14:10.
Old 8th March 2018, 14:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Whats easier and efficient to build ? Molten metal poured into mould or 3d printing ? Or for that matter stamping or forging.

So 3d printing will have its advantages in precision parts manufacturing. Maybe for prototyping complicated designs. Not sure if it can change the complete manufacturing industry. I am just saying what I think and would like to know if I am wrong.

From what I see in the industry, today, 3D printing is great if you want to take one or few "print-outs". The moment you decide to mass produce - it make commercial sense to cast and machine it.
Old 8th March 2018, 15:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

University of Canterbury students create world's 1st, 3D-printed titanium engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
From what I see in the industry, today, 3D printing is great if you want to take one or few "print-outs". The moment you decide to mass produce - it make commercial sense to cast and machine it.

3D printing was and still is a great way to produce one offs, try outs etc. but at the same time it is already well established as part of the production process in certain industries, e.g. airbus and Boeing are increasingly using 3D printed parts in their airplanes. So that is way past the one offs. It might not be the sort of mass market such as consumer products, car manufacturing. Personally, I think that is just a matter of time. 3D is potentially a very disruptive new technology with huge potential for many industries and applications.

Jeroen

Most Viewed