Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2018, 22:18   #46
BHPian

Re: Ford 1.4L TDCI: Injector Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
I knew about this issue and I think my car is also started signalling injector issues. It's 70k kms run 2010 make Figo Diesel. The car takes a bit longer to start, idles a bit erratically and the loudness levels have doubled.
Decided to try the diesel purge route to resolve the issue. Amazon was selling the liqui moly diesel purge by the name of rapid cleaner. Shared this doubt with Leoshashi and he assured that it's indeed the diesel purge. Ordered the same and received it few days ago. Went through several videos on YouTube and decided to involve my trusted mechanic as I was not able to figure out the feed and return lines.

At first he suggested to pour the liquid in the diesel filter but later we came out with a different solution which seemed more convenient. Also I didn't got an extra filter as shown in videos which I could fit in the return line so the second method seemed more appropriate.

We decided to feed the diesel purge (filled in a transparent bottle) into the engine by connecting a pipe into the diesel filter feed. The other end of this pipe was immersed in the bottle filled with purge. The return line was also introduced in the same bottle to collect the left over purge through a smaller pipe. Now this was set but we didn't had a connector or coupler to interconnect the feed and return lines from the diesel tank. The mechanic suggested we could collect the diesel from the tank in a separate bottle and later it could be poured back in the tank. So we also introduced a second jar to collect diesel coming from the tank.

Fingers crossed, I started the engine and it started sucking the purge from the bottle and filling it at the same time by return line. Surprisingly, the line from the tank remained dry and diesel didn't came out of it. The mechanic said that may be it has a different system and he removed the second jar.

I started revving the car and altered the rpm from time to time and after 5-10 mins the purge became hot and the bottle started deforming. Almost entire solution was used up in about 25 mins. Also noticed that the colour of the solution became darker with time.

Posting few wip pics and videos and indeed this exercise was successful. Shared before and after videos with Shashi and he too confirmed that the noise levels have come down quite a bit.

Noise inside the cabin has come down drastically and the engine is back to its refinement levels.

Anyone trying this, I would suggest to use good quality jar and pipes as things get pretty hot. If possible use heat resistant glass jars.

Ford 1.4L TDCI: Injector Failures-img_20180526_141626.jpg

Ford 1.4L TDCI: Injector Failures-img_20180526_141638.jpg

Ford 1.4L TDCI: Injector Failures-img_20180526_143509.jpg

Will try to upload the videos later as it seems the files are large and there is some problem in uploading.

Special thanks to Leoshashi and a4anurag (for his thread on diesel purge on his swift).
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 23:14   #47
BHPian

In addition to the above post, sharing YouTube links of some videos of work in progress.

Hope these links work.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 02:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
In addition to the above post, sharing YouTube links of some videos of work in progress.
Hope these links work.
I was always skeptical of diesel purge but it seems to have worked well.
Can doing this be considered a preventive measure so that injector issues don't surface in the future, or is this more as a stop-gap just delaying the inevitable?
Old 23rd June 2018, 10:05   #49
BHPian

I guess it's more of a stop gap treatment. The effect is immediately noticable but long term effectiveness remains to be seen. For preventive measures, the purge can be added to the diesel tank directly at certain gaps, say 10000 or 15000 kms.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 23rd June 2018 at 10:07.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 16:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I guess it's more of a stop gap treatment. The effect is immediately noticable but long term effectiveness remains to be seen. For preventive measures, the purge can be added to the diesel tank directly at certain gaps, say 10000 or 15000 kms.
thank you @blow horn ok!!

I've decided to try out the diesel purge too, myself. I had a few queries.
Is it safe to order it over amazon?
I found two different listings, could you help me choose the right one?
Which one did you go for?
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00CPL8OVE/?coliid=I2BSAGHZBL66F5&colid=1SLTM4TSS5RPC&psc=0&r ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-1811-Rapid-Cleaner/dp/B004X631O4/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID= NPZ2XFPCJ6XJ6S7F20R8

Also after watching some more youtube videos on diesel purging, I noticed some people using an inline filter in their set up since they bypassed the diesel filter like you did, while you did not use one. How important is it to use one? Isn't it also possible that not using a filter could cause clogging in the rail and injectors? there's a wide range of them as well on amazon (https://www.amazon.in/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...76079031&ajr=0).
Your suggestions, please?

Another question on inline filters. Are they fuel specific? Are they even specific to their application for example for fuel or water or anything else?

Thank you!!
Old 25th June 2018, 16:56   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I found two different listings, could you help me choose the right one? Which one did you go for?
Sorry to barge in between. Get the listing that is sold by Cloudtail India.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 17:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
How important is it to use one? Isn't it also possible that not using a filter could cause clogging in the rail and injectors?

Another question on inline filters. Are they fuel specific? Are they even specific to their application for example for fuel or water or anything else?

Thank you!!

I did a diesel purge using a new OE filter , connect the diesel purge to the inlet of the fuel filter and connect the return pipe back into the diesel purge .

Also , doing a diesel purge will DO NOTHING for a failed injector due to peizo electric (solenoid failure), you need to get that injector replaced !
techn0l0gist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 17:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thanks, anurag. Will do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
I did a diesel purge using a new OE filter , connect the diesel purge to the inlet of the fuel filter and connect the return pipe back into the diesel purge .

Also , doing a diesel purge will DO NOTHING for a failed injector due to peizo electric (solenoid failure), you need to get that injector replaced !
Thank you, shall follow your method.
Luckily my injectors are not shot (phew) and neither do I hear any strange or abnormal sounds when I bring my ear close to the injector area. Though I do feel that sudden but minor hesitation at around 2.5k and 3k revolutions, and sometimes the idle isn't perfect when cold. My car sounds like Blow horn's car in the first video he posted.
I'm planning on doing this because I don't want problems in the future, since I plan on using the car till it atleast does 1.2 lac kilometres. Also because from Blow horn's posts the difference from before and after is obviously noticeable.

Thank you!!
Old 25th June 2018, 19:55   #54
BHPian

Hi All,

Have an issue with my Figo. There were jerks at speeds about 100. Does not surface often but I know the issue persists. I did take it to the service center and the reading for two of the injectors were just above 1. The SA confirmed that there is no issue. So I wrote an email to Ford and they also confirmed that there is no issue with the car and the readings can be above 1 but not beyond 1.20.

The car pulls great. It has a race dynamics box. Starts normally. But I noticed that yesterday during start the car shakes a bit more that it usually does.

Now i am not that technical but I wanted to see if I should be expecting issues in the near future.
Old 26th June 2018, 15:13   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Arthur View Post
There were jerks at speeds about 100. Does not surface often but I know the issue persists.

But I noticed that yesterday during start the car shakes a bit more that it usually does.
In my case this was this behavior started around 60k kms , started getting noiser around 80k, vibrations got worse post 80k , car still ran and pulled clean except the random stalling (on clutch) and the "jerk" post 100kmph , at around 95k kms the "gear icon" flashed and it woudn't idle !
Old 27th June 2018, 12:19   #56
BHPian

Hey guys,

I happened to find some info on what the Liqui-Moly diesel purge consists of. Found it on the "Ford Owners Club" forum. I felt that it would be a helpful piece of information.
Sharing the link to that thread and quoting the specific post as well!

Quote:
Being a nosy chemist, I had a look into this stuff and it mainly consists of medium-sized hydrocarbons, both linear chain-like molecules and cyclic and aromatic ones also. So basically light oil-type stuff that burns more easily than diesel.

The 'active ingredient' appears to be 2-ethylhexyl nitrate (a specialized explosive) which is a pretty standard ingredient of additives that improve cetane ratings (they give shorter ignition delays), alongside the alternative that would be di-tert-butyl peroxide - this stuff's particularly interesting as it could be used to fuel an internal combustion engine that doesn't consume any air or at the least very little.

Liqui-moly claim their diesel purge can reduce emissions and this seems to be true - papers here and here.

Terraclean aren't so forthcoming with their material safety data sheets and the only one I can find for fuel injector cleaner says it's made up of mostly (60-100%) of petroleum distillate (a mix of hydrocarbon solvents good at removing heavy oil and grease, tar and waxes), and up to 5% each of diacetone alcohol and diethylene glycol monoethyl ether (2-(2-Ethoxyethoxy)ethanol) (both industrial solvents, found in some hydraulic brake fluids) and isopropyl alcohol (solubilises water in fuel) amongst other things.

To me it seems that you can get a Terraclean service or DIY with Liqui-moly and end up with pretty much the same result.
https://www.fordownersclub.com/forum...-diesel-purge/

PS: Oh, and I ordered my can of the purge yesterday and am expecting it to reach my place by Friday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thanks to your advice, I correctly went for the one sold by cloudtail.
Will buy the auxiliary things by this weekend and try to do the purge this Sunday!

Thank you!!
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 01:30   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hope these links work.
Hi again, what is the inner diameter of the fuel lines you have used here?

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:00   #58
BHPian

The mechanic used rubber tubes which is used in lpg gas in kitchen. I guess the inner diameter should be around 4-5 mm
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 15:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Hi again, what is the inner diameter of the fuel lines you have used here?

Thanks in advance!
For a easy source, go to a truck/LCV parts shop and ask for "diesel pipe" that goes to the pump , they'll give you a nylon pipe , i have used that to do the purge , it costs something like 50 rupees a meter
techn0l0gist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2018, 16:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
For a easy source, go to a truck/LCV parts shop and ask for "diesel pipe" that goes to the pump , they'll give you a nylon pipe , i have used that to do the purge , it costs something like 50 rupees a meter
Quote:
The mechanic used rubber tubes which is used in lpg gas in kitchen. I guess the inner diameter should be around 4-5 mm
Thanks for the valuable tips blow horn ok and techn0l0gist.

Just waiting on a few parts that I'd ordered, to arrive. i.e. A new OEM diesel filter ordered on boodmo, A set of 10 inline filters , 10 because it was cheap and I thought that I can add 1 or 2 filters each on the feed and return lines to and from the can of purge.
I'll carry out the procedure once I have everything in order!

Thanks guys!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks