Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2006, 17:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

MUV's to have only Bucket seats upfront

Fellas,

Read this in the midday a couple of days back. All the vehicles slotted as MUV's will have to remove the long bench seat in the front and replace it with bucket seats. If not done within the stipulated timeframe, they will be fined.

Seems there was a law under the Motor vehicle act - and the authorities have only just woken up to it. The law states - there should be nothing inbetween the driver and front co-passenger so that the driver can face difficulty in driving. Its all for safety.

Better late than never I say. But then its already too late now , so many MUV's have been sold. What will all the taxi service qualis / tavera / mahindra guys do now ?

Cheers
Old 17th December 2006, 18:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

NC, i got some questions:
1)Is this mandatory all over the country?
2)Shud existing/registered MUVs convert their front bench seat to a bucket-type one?
Old 17th December 2006, 19:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rather late in the day, but welcome nevertheless. I wonder what all those Jeep Taxis in Malappuram District of Kerala are going to do - they usually pack in 5 passenger in the front seat with the driver's backside sticking out of the Jeep, with just enough space for his hands and legs to reach the steering and pedals!
Old 17th December 2006, 19:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Enforcing religiously will be a challenge. But a good one to be enforced nevertheless
Old 18th December 2006, 10:49   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I really dont see too much of a parallel between bucket seats and safety. If anything, the issues of overloading people, lack of safety belts, vehicle health checks etc. must be addressed.

There will surely be a cost issue over this. Too many people are going to be upset at the sudden realisation of this rule and wont shell out for the change to bucket seats.

Question is : Why then were the manufacturers allowed to build bench seat MUVs in the first place?
Old 18th December 2006, 12:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I really dont see too much of a parallel between bucket seats and safety.
I think the issue of 2 separate seats instead of a bench has been misread as meaning 'bucket' seats.
Old 18th December 2006, 12:52   #7
BHPian

yes i agree with Steeroid, it might be to separate 2 seats instead of having a single bench kind of seat where taxi drivers use to fill 4 people atleast in the front row which will cause distraction while shfiting the gear and also the position of the driver too..
Old 19th December 2006, 05:19   #8
BANNED

Quote:
All the vehicles slotted as MUV's will have to remove the long bench seat in the front and replace it with bucket seats.
But a MUV like Omni is already having bucket seats !!!
Old 19th December 2006, 05:37   #9
BHPian

Thank god they woke up...

Yes, this is very true that ANy MUV should have bucket seats in the front because most of the MUV's in india are used for Taxi use or goods transportation and no one should allow 3 people to sit in the front row or consume that place for keeping some stuff, front row is never meant for all these things..This row is only for a driver and a co-pessenger not for anything else.......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks