Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2018, 13:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Solved: Injector Rattle / Diesel Knock in Toyota diesel engines

If anyone notices any rattling noise in their GDFTV's between 1500-2500RPM which clears up after 2500RPM and it does not accompany with a check engine light and the dealer is clueless about it fret not. This has been reported by people abroad their GDFTV and KDFTV engines.

For a layperson this seems to be a problem but it is not, the ECU wants to learn the pilot quantity injection and teach it and it goes away. In diagnostics (either OE or aftermarket like launch/gscan) go to Power train utilities and execute the Pilot quantity learning and follow the steps. The method is the same for both old KDFTV and new GDFTV.

I had this issue in mine and yesterday took it to Toyota but they wanted to keep the vehicle in for 2 days, I disagreed coz they wouldn't give a loaner. Anyways I was able to fix it myself this morning

This occurs when the injection quantity deviates from learned and saved values and the ECU needs to relearn it. For eg extending injection duration and then suddenly taking it back to stock ID.

But if you thought it happens only on modded vehicles then its not true because it can and has happened to stock Hiluxes/Fortuners abroad (both KD and GD) which generally sees a more hard life (higher speeds, towing, used as work truck) than those in India. But anyways mine is the only one reported as on date.
Sankar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 11:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Solved: Injector Rattle / Diesel Knock in Toyota diesel engines

Day 2: All is well and there is no noise.

This specific problem was reported in 2016 and I even saw this thread last year. But like the universal law of "it won't happen to me" I too didn't care to dig in deep.

http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewto...?f=122&t=26715

Quote:
Hi Does anybody with the latest Hilux experience loud injector rattle between around 2200-2800 RPM?

I've recently bought my first Hilux (2.8 Auto - done 4000km's) and I find the injector rattle noise is really bad. Its noticable when warming up from cold and I get that, but once its running fully hot it doesnt go away. No rattle when the engine is under no stress and low rpm but when under even light accelerating throttle between around 2200-2800 rpm the rattle becomes constant, very noticable when climbing any hills when the revs increase into that RPM range.

Its really bad when the engines under load towing my boat and can sound like an automatic rifle constantly firing under the bonnet.

Anyhow, Toyota dealer had a look at it yesterday and told me it was perfectly normal and the engine analyser didnt pick up anything wrong.... surely this cant be normal? I've driven quite a few late model diesels over the last few years (PX Ranger, Hyundai Iload,Navara STX) and never experienced rattle like this. I can't imagine anyone driving a new Prado or Fortuner with the same 2.8 engine would tolerate this?

I owned a PX Ranger before the Hilux and it would occasionally make the same rattle sound for a few seconds and only under heavy throttle when the accelarator was floored!

I would appreciate your comments!
Automatic rifle fire is the correct description of the sound

Problem with Toyota (atleast the dealership here in Trivandrum) is that they don't acknowledge an issue and tries to nudge it off as if there is no issue. They don't give a loaner car either because that is like sort of accepting that there is an issue. They say they don't give loaner car during the first report of an issue.

Well they don't give loaner car for repeating issues either, for example brake issue. It still persists now after skimming rotors once and changing rotors twice and caliper once.

Sridhu's Crysta had a timing chain problem and they repaired it and offered him a loaner car for the period. If it was Nippon probably they would have denied him that also.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4337606

I wonder what kind of noise they heard in Sridhu's Crysta. If it can be described can probably help others also watch out for it.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 21:13   #3
BHPian

Here's my story over injector rattling or diesel knocking.

I have taken my recently purchased Innova Crysta 2.4 MT on highway (had hardly covered 600 km by then) and the first thing on the highway was filling unleaded / normal diesel at a Shell Fuel pump. I have trusted Shell fuel for its quality (assuming no adulteration) and right quantity filling.

Within say 50 kms, I noticed this diesel engine knock or injector rattling or this "Automatic Rifle fire" kind of sound occurring every time I accelerate above 2000 rpm. I was unable to confidently drive > 80 or 90 kmph as the dreaded sound would be heard and I would be cursing myself whether I am hurting the engine. I had a vague feeling, whether this problem could be due to the fuel quality but I dismissed the thought due to my blind trust on Shell. I completed my journey but was still irked by this problem and the thought of having no explanation for that noise.

Later at night, blindly searching for keywords that describe this noise, i ended up on this thread. Since this thread's heading did not have innova crysta, I had never gone through this thread before. Reading this gave me solace since I felt I had similar problem (although the rattling noise that I heard started from 2000 rpm onward - maybe was this hurting the turbo spooler ?) and the statement that this problem could be alleviated by a simple ECU learning technique.

On my next highway journey 2 days later, and by then the fuel in my car's tank was less than 1/4 mark and hence I filled fuel from an ESSAR fuel station (if I had a choice, i fill at ESSAR) and carried on with the journey keeping my speed at less than 100 kmph. Since the price of diesel was Rs 2 more than that in my own state, i had just loaded some 20L only. But over a few minutes, the rattling noise was reduced and there was less vibration (that was subtly felt with the Shell's fuel) and as I progressed, the engine was more quick and responsive to my accelerator push. I therefore thought that as the old fuel was burnt and good diesel started flowing to the engine, the engine responded with healthy note, I wanted better confirmation of same thought and filled more ESSAR fuel and no surprise the engine was back to its smooth nature. Now happy that it was just due to adulterated / bad quality fuel from Shell.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 21:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess what? I just watched a video on this topic two hours back. Only this time, it was done for VAG's 1.6 TDI.

It is said that this process calibrates the fuelling system including the primary and secondary fuel pump, the common rail and the injectors. Basically, I think it can be said that it synchronises the quantity of fuel entering the injector (by means of the fuel rail) and how much of it is sprayed at what point in the rev band.

The engine does rev all by itself without any throttle input when the calibration is going on. Quite unnerving! Pressing the gas pedal will cancel the procedure.

It is to be noted that a coil light accompanied by knocking injectors most probably indicates bad injectors only. In the case of bad injector calibration, no CEL or coil light will come on as Sankar has mentioned.

Last edited by vishy76 : 7th January 2020 at 22:03.
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks