Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2018, 23:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago chokes for want of petrol

Did you get the fuel pump checked? Lack of sufficient fuel flow can also lead to sluggish behaviour? I believe a defective fuel pump may not show up in the diagnostic tool.

Last edited by damodar : 17th December 2018 at 23:42.
Old 18th December 2018, 00:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Did you get the fuel pump checked? Lack of sufficient fuel flow can also lead to sluggish behaviour? I believe a defective fuel pump may not show up in the diagnostic tool.
Diag tools won’t help as there is no persistent fault
In any case, the workshop would have checke that already.

The key here is to log sensor readings and spot anomalies when the problem occurs e.g fuel flow rate dipping when op is trying to accelerate
Old 19th December 2018, 12:33   #18
BHPian

Just a thought - what is the fuel level in the tank normally when the issue occurs? If the issue happens intermittently and both the driving modes, apart from the fuel pump, can this issue be attributed to low fuel levels?
Old 19th December 2018, 22:42   #19
BHPian

I have tried to figure out a pattern with fuel levels too, but I couldn't. The issue occurred when on low, medium and full tank too. So I wouldn't be able to attribute the root cause to fuel levels.

Last edited by Sai Narayan : 19th December 2018 at 22:43.
Sai Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 08:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai Narayan View Post
I have tried to figure out a pattern with fuel levels too, but I couldn't. The issue occurred when on low, medium and full tank too. So I wouldn't be able to attribute the root cause to fuel levels.
Sai, please refer the post by Amartya about the TPS. Have you tried this ?

Or, if the car is a drive-by-wire, then change the accelerator pedal itself. Both these should not cost much, and will not touch the core parts.

(As Suggested by a friend who follows TBHP).
Old 20th December 2018, 14:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sai, please refer the post by Amartya about the TPS. Have you tried this ?

Or, if the car is a drive-by-wire, then change the accelerator pedal itself. Both these should not cost much, and will not touch the core parts.

(As Suggested by a friend who follows TBHP).
Thanks Condor! Yes - I did ask Tata about the TPS and they simply brushed aside with comments that there are no issues with TPS. Probably it is high time I check with a reliable mechanic outside of Tata to figure out the issue.
I'm simply living the problem. I did a fourth regular service, they did mention that there is a problem with the clutch cable which they would change (no stock as of now). But this they've managed to change at least once in the innumerable number of times I've been to the workshop.

Given the fact for all the issues this car poses, one year down the lane. I want this car fixed and showcase to Tata and many other owners like me who have similar issues and help them thereby. I've been longing to write a ownership review which i'm holding on to for a pretty long time now.
Old 20th December 2018, 16:58   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did ask Tata about the TPS and they simply brushed aside with comments that there are no issues with TPS.
Please give it a shot - esp if they are not exploring that option. Parts should be accessible.

And I hear you. Tata products are often wrongly maligned.
Old 20th December 2018, 17:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Had a similar issue (suddenly the car used to start jerking as if there is no fuel and it used to rectify itself after down shifting and accelerating) with my Storme which was completely sorted out after changing one of my injectors and as mentioned by Damodar this never showed up in the diagnostic tool nor was there any Check Engine/Malfunction lights and also was unable to replicate the issue to SA as it was intermittent.

Also, please call up the TML helpline and escalate the issue to get a higher visibility.
kochup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 13:19   #24
BHPian

Over the weekend got a chance to drive a petrol Tiago xz over 1000 km drive.
I noticed that around 2.5k rpm in 2nd and/or 3rd gear, there is a distinct feel that the car will stall. Feels like either it did not get required fuel, air or both. This was really annoying. Not sure if you are also seeing a similar behaviour in your car.
I feel the issue might be related to the TPS ( throttle position sensor). At the said rpm and gear if I lifted off my foot from accelerator, the car would behave normally. If I pressed the A pedal more, the hiccup was more pronounced.

Apart from this issue, I felt that the car had a very weak top end. The engine felt breathless after reaching 100kmph on empty stretch of road. Reaching that speed itself was a very long wait.

Overtaking had to be planned well in advance and the selection of gear had to be right.

The car itself felt very comfortable though and has a very good suspension setup. Very little of the road surface filtered through to the cabin.
Old 31st December 2018, 17:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Had a similar issue (suddenly the car used to start jerking as if there is no fuel and it used to rectify itself after down shifting and accelerating) with my Storme which was completely sorted out after changing one of my injectors and as mentioned by Damodar this never showed up in the diagnostic tool nor was there any Check Engine/Malfunction lights and also was unable to replicate the issue to SA as it was intermittent.
Also, please call up the TML helpline and escalate the issue to get a higher visibility.
Precisely!! It jerks as if the fuel is not there. It is very intermittent and there is no set pattern and I'm not able to showcase too. There was a time when it used to happen when on second gear between RPM 1000-1200 and when taking a U Turn, but somehow due to multiple visits, they did something which was not revealed to me exactly and it does not happen often. Now I know the issue exists, but happens like once or twice in 10 days. I've not no idea when.
The only concern is, it is dangerous when people / vehicle behind you has no clue and hit. I've been cursed by multiple people behind me that I'm driving without getting a proper license. People get angry because this can damage their vehicle as well. I've to live with it.
Now I immediately downshift when this happens, it helps as you rightly mentioned before the vehicle behind you could realize.

TML didn't actually wanted to change the Fuel injector and they didn't agree to it even after persistent requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Over the weekend got a chance to drive a petrol Tiago xz over 1000 km drive.
I noticed that around 2.5k rpm in 2nd and/or 3rd gear, there is a distinct feel that the car will stall. Feels like either it did not get required fuel, air or both. This was really annoying. Not sure if you are also seeing a similar behaviour in your car.
I feel the issue might be related to the TPS ( throttle position sensor). At the said rpm and gear if I lifted off my foot from accelerator, the car would behave normally. If I pressed the A pedal more, the hiccup was more pronounced.
Apart from this issue, I felt that the car had a very weak top end. The engine felt breathless after reaching 100kmph on empty stretch of road. Reaching that speed itself was a very long wait.
Overtaking had to be planned well in advance and the selection of gear had to be right.
The car itself felt very comfortable though and has a very good suspension setup. Very little of the road surface filtered through to the cabin.
Around 2500 RPM is something that I didn't actually expect to or haven't felt the problem. But the issues that you've pointed out is exactly the same. It's like lack of fuel, air or both. This happens to me from 1000 to 1200 RPM.

Update: I checked with the local mechanic on Throttle Position Sensor, he affirmed that the issue is not eminent. Although it was a very brief check, he has agreed to do another round of road test, check by 1st week of January.
Old 25th March 2019, 11:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Precisely!! It jerks as if the fuel is not there. It is very intermittent and there is no set pattern and I'm not able to showcase too.
If you can get witnesses ( preferably a competent mechanic) to record this problem and testify to it being present you should take Tata Motors to the Consumer Court. They might pay more heed to your problems.

Last edited by ampere : 10th November 2019 at 19:12. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 25th March 2019, 11:34   #27
BHPian

This looks similar to the issues faced by user StanJohn123, on a Tiago AMT version. The issues are similar especially the inconsistent power and loss of control on the vehicle in random situations but especially on inclines.
The fuel pump/system was replaced and the problem was solved.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-issues-4.html (Tata Tiago/Tigor AMT: Driveability issues)
Dennis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 17:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
This looks similar to the issues faced by user StanJohn123, on a Tiago AMT version. The issues are similar especially the inconsistent power and loss of control on the vehicle in random situations but especially on inclines.
The fuel pump/system was replaced and the problem was solved.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-issues-4.html (Tata Tiago/Tigor AMT: Driveability issues)
Thanks so much Dennis, let me try to push Tata to do this for me in next service. Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by Sai Narayan : 29th March 2019 at 17:03. Reason: Got the name wrong!!
Old 10th November 2019, 17:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much Dennis, let me try to push Tata to do this for me in next service. Will keep you all posted.
Sorry to wake this thread up after a long time, but were you given any resolution? May be slightly off topic, but two of my colleagues are having similar issues. One has a 2015 Zest XT Petrol and the other has a 2018 Tigor XZ Petrol. On completely pushing the accelerator pedal, there is a feeling of head-bobbing inside like one gets in driving AMT equipped vehicle in a similar pedal-to-the-metal fashion. This is independent of the driving mode one is using and is more prominent in the Zest compared to the Tigor. I am not an expert on this, but can this sort of ECU tuning (sorry if I am using inaccurate terms) be done from the factory to achieve better fuel efficiency?
Old 12th November 2019, 22:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Sorry to wake this thread up after a long time, but were you given any resolution? May be slightly off topic, but two of my colleagues are having similar issues. One has a 2015 Zest XT Petrol and the other has a 2018 Tigor XZ Petrol. On completely pushing the accelerator pedal, there is a feeling of head-bobbing inside like one gets in driving AMT equipped vehicle in a similar pedal-to-the-metal fashion. This is independent of the driving mode one is using and is more prominent in the Zest compared to the Tigor. I am not an expert on this, but can this sort of ECU tuning (sorry if I am using inaccurate terms) be done from the factory to achieve better fuel efficiency?
I have May 2019 Tiago NRG Petrol and had observed exactly same behavior. This is not persistent but after 2nd service I have not seen that. Surely it was evident before first service and perhaps happened once or twice between first and second services. I suspect the engine is tuned to take fuel at specific rate for better fuel efficiency so with high fuel to engine it simply cannot consume it and lacks to provide high torque giving you the head bobbling effect. I had found one way to deal with this. When you change the gear remove foot from clutch as soon as possible. And to speed up press accelerator gradually. Do not try to push it hard. Give a try for a a couple of weeks and check if you feel the difference. I feel Tiago is a linear car and does not like spikes of fuel. I have not taken her out on any long drives yet so cannot comment on high speed drive experience but could reach 80 in Bangalore over weekends over so called empty roads for a few seconds. I have increased RPM past 3000 but did not find any issue as power loss or starving for fuel. Will keep her on observations.
rajivtelang is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks