Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2018, 16:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Service your car yourself at Mahindra First Choice

Mahindra First Choice Services (MFC Services) has launched a new initiative called 'A Date with your Car' for car enthusiasts. As part of this, car owners will get a chance to service their cars themselves. This will also help educate customers by giving them a hands-on experience under the guidance of experienced technicians.

Service your car yourself at Mahindra First Choice-date-your-car.png

It is an appointment-based activity and those interested can log on to the MFC Services website to register. Car owners can come to the workshop on the appointed day and service their cars themselves. Trained technicians will also be at hand to help customers fix their vehicles. Customers will be provided with all the tools and equipment required for the job and more importantly, they wouldn't be billed for labour charges.

MFC Services has over 340 workshops across 24 states of India. The company offers periodic maintenance and spares for brands like Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and Mahindra.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 16:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Service your car yourself at Mahindra First Choice

OK, so Anand Mahindra stole my idea

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4047387
SmartCat is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 17:32   #3
BHPian

Wow, amazing stuff. I’d honestly pay to get such an opportunity. The fact that there’s no labour charges just makes the deal sweeter. The enthusiast in me is happy! Wish it expands to other brand’s service stations too. Good job. Best way to connect with your car is to get your hands dirty.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 17th March 2018 at 17:50.
The Brutailer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 17:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oh this is a great initiative! There used to be rent-a-garage kind of shops here in US but most of them closed due to liability issues.

So, I am assuming that servicing your car here will not void the warranty or any such thing?
amitoj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 18:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great move! Thank GOD someone in the M&M management is thinking on these lines! First time car buyers & newbie enthusiasts are often confounded by the car servicing process.

Even non-enthu people really need to get used to regularly checking basic stuff like oil level, coolant levels, filters, etc & learn abit about the car they own.

Abit OT : Recently when I sold my Nano, the buyer was in awe of just driving a car. Guess how he thought the engine oil is changed ? "By turning & holding the car upside down with a lift" Such people are vulnerable to being cheated left right and center by any service center. I advised him to stay with the car during service to understand about its basics.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 17th March 2018 at 18:53.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 12:06   #6
BHPian

I have always wanted to be able to watch my car getting serviced so that I could learn more about the machine. This is a great initiative by MFC I feel. I wish other automobile co's follow suit.

Given an opportunity, I would definitely love to get hands on experience as to what goes into servicing/repairing a car. The more we educate ourselves, the lesser we are likely to fall prey to unethical business by service centres.

Get your hands dirty and your concepts clear.
Avalanche2409 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is a great initiative, though am sure the percentage of owners who opt for this will be in lower single digits. Since Mahindra First choice dont have tie ups for warranty services lot of people will miss it; neverthless being allowed by the service center to be with the car and speak freely to the mechanic itself is a major advantage.
arjithin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 14:06   #8
BHPian

Music to my ears!! Just wondering what is the business model if they're not charging for labor!? Of, course the owners would be doing the service, using rented tools and space but is that it?!

However, a quick search revealed that the only center in Hyderabad (Hayatnagar) is at least a couple of hours away from my place. Wish they open more centers in the coming days; great initiative nonetheless!!
avinash_m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 14:47   #9
BHPian

Just buy the tools and do it at home. That is what I have been doing for the past 90K Kms. The tools have long paid for themselves.
PatchyBoy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th March 2018, 23:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ok, nice idea, but what about getting original parts and consumables ? If I want to change the oil, air filters and brake pads for my Honda, the original ones are with Honda A.S.S and they insist on getting it changed in their shops. I had to settle for other brands (not that they are of bad quality)

Actually, as someone mentioned above, basic servicing like oil, filters, brake pads change can be done by owners or at local garages having the right tools. Its very simple.
Old 19th March 2018, 07:26   #11
BANNED

Great idea certainly, but as one of the posts in the thread mentions, the initial enthusiasm will probably appeal to a limited audience. A good marketing ploy for the brand, but for the enthusiast it makes sense to do most of the regular service items at home with a few basic tools. The filters - oil & fuel -will need a strap wrench for slackening & tightening, but the other items will need tools which most are familiar with.

M&M would do better to focus on the overall quality of the Maintenance & ASS experience that their network provides. That will stop long-time owners from hunting around for that FNG.

Last edited by shashanka : 19th March 2018 at 07:29.
shashanka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 10:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Nice concept but I doubt this will sustain over the long period. Labor (FNG) is cheap and plenty in India, and doing things yourself and getting hands dirty isn't as exciting and part-of-life as it is in other countries.

The ones serious about DIY already have everything they need at home or a trusted FNG where they do it.

I'd love to do this, and will do this, once my car is out of warranty but at a friend's garage so I have the buffer of him fixing it if I mess it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Just buy the tools and do it at home. That is what I have been doing for the past 90K Kms. The tools have long paid for themselves.
This service the car yourself concept will be quite a novelty initially; cool enough for the average car owner to try it a few times for simple jobs but not enough to mandate a purchase of the tools necessary, and then the spares. It's not just the money but also the time, effort, space and motivation. Add to that, the will to try out complex repairs, and the guts to trust yourself to drive the car after.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 10:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think this is a nice initiative. It will be great to deal with a smiling and helping mechanic/ advisor instead of an irritated ( by your questions) mechanic at dealer's workshop. I can ask all the question, learn some DIYs and keep an eye on my car during service.

We all know that we are not welcomed inside the dealer's workshop. These kind of instructions(PIC attached) are common at dealer's workshop. But, here we have a multi-brand workshop, welcoming us to their workshop and giving us chance to learn something. I welcome this idea.

Service your car yourself at Mahindra First Choice-not-allowed.jpg

It happens to be that I bought a yearly membership of Frist Choice 10 days back. I am going to club this offer with my existing membership and take the benefit of "Service Your Car Yourself"

Service your car yourself at Mahindra First Choice-fc.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 10:49   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Smart marketing & welcome initiative. It'll get some people into the Mahindra First Choice workshop. Benefits that Mahindra sees:

- Increased footfalls.

- Increased sales. You might avail of extra services from them or buy parts.

- People who would be inclined to service the car themselves would know a thing or two about cars, and thus be opinion-makers in their circle. Word of mouth benefits could be immense if Mahindra carries it out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, I am assuming that servicing your car here will not void the warranty or any such thing?
They aren't targeting owners of cars still in warranty, as they usually visit the authorised dealer's workshop only. And yes, no manufacturer will honour warranty claims if they have no record of the service being carried out at their workshops.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 09:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I visited Mahindra Frist Choice(Anand) for Wheel alignment, wheel balancing and wheel rotation (free under my yearly package). I asked about service your car your self-scheme. The manager was happy to explain me the scheme and invited me to remain present for wheel alignment and wheel balancing process.

As mentioned in comment number 13, I bought a yearly package from the First choice, so the service your car scheme was free for me. I remained present with mechanic during the entire process and understood everything(almost) about wheel alignment and balancing.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks