Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 18:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hi Muneem,

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
The New Fiat Engines(GP & Linea) are having unbelievably long Oil change periods wonder how they will look after an oil change.
Let us see if one of the present Linea / future GP owners oblige us with a pre and post service images of the oil / dispstick!
Old 30th May 2009, 10:14   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
drpullockaran : ... the fresh oil consumed is not sufficient to service even 1/6th of the new cars sold by them in Kerala state.
So, you go to an A.S.S for an oil change. The old oil is drained out : this part is true, since they hoist the car, and let the oil drain out. You can see it happen.

What happens next ? They put in the oil filter, and the car's ready for fresh oil. The oil is filled in, & you go to pick up your car in the evening. Pull out the dipstick : the oil has a golden hue.

But a few km's .. may be a 100km of driving, it's all black again.

Compare this with the experiences of Dr & Jaggu etc that the oil retains it's hue till about 500-700 km. Is it this because of the oil they used is 100% Castrol / Mobil / Servo ?

What did the A.S.S do differently, even though they filled in fresh oil ? Remember, you checked the oil before taking the car out from servicing & oil change.
Old 1st June 2009, 07:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Is this true for all private garages or even authorised service centres of Maruti, Mahindra and the likes? Bcz I am finding it extremely hard to swallow that Authorised service centres would be in the deal as well.

This is not ever practised by private garages here in Kerala state as far as I know. The private garages change the oil in front of you and have no problems of you standing next to the vehicle for an oil change. If the private garages ever did this and word got around that would be the death knell for the garage in a months time. You have to be naive or foolish to cheat customers when your sole bread and butter is from the garage you run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

What did the A.S.S do differently, even though they filled in fresh oil ? Remember, you checked the oil before taking the car out from servicing & oil change.
Recylced oil is the answer. Just be next to your car during the next oil change. Drain it when its real hot and put any oil from the market even the chaepest one suitable for your car from an unopened can and see the difference. Make sure the filter is changed too. Also make sure the car is level when raised on the hoist or leaning slightly towards the end where the drain outlet is situated.
Please remember that my Junkindica has very very poor compression ratio and it consumes oil to the tune of 1ml for every 1km driven which means I top up with 7500ml between oil changes as the drain interval for my Junkindica is 7500km. If this 3rd class car engine of mine can retain its oil colour for 700km then all the cars in this forum should easily surpass this. In the junkindica's case I am forced to change oil at the authorized service center becasue of an ongoing consumer court case but I am allowed to stand next to the car during the oil change and also exclusively for me; oil from unopened plastic cans is used because of the consumer court case. 30 minute oil drain is what I do in case of the Junkindica and that too when its real hot.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st June 2009 at 16:24. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making consecutive posts. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2009, 13:30   #49
BHPian

I had posted my doubt about Recylced oil being popularly marketed, but in some other thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st June 2009 at 14:40. Reason: Hi,Please avoid quoting complete post, when the quoted post is on the same page, Thanks
Old 1st June 2009, 14:50   #50
BHPian

I am using recycled oil in my car,At just 80Rs/Litre it's more than enough for the oil consuming Matador engine.And last oil change was 4800Kms ago.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
This is not ever practised by private garages here in Kerala state as far as I know. The private garages change the oil in front of you and have no problems of you standing next to the vehicle for an oil change. If the private garages ever did this and word got around that would be the death knell for the garage in a months time. You have to be naive or foolish to cheat customers when your sole bread and butter is from the garage you run.
In my experience too, its always the authorised service centres that seem to have a problem with using customer supplied oil or to let the customer watch the job. I have many times smelt these fishy tactics by authorised service centers (of cars and bikes, both). They are the ones who should be more trustworthy, but fact is just most definitely otherwise.

That said, I just got the oil changed in my car. The MASS I go to made no issues about using my own oil and filter (MICO BOSCH). I usually used to go to a pvt. garage to get this done, till now. They even asked me if I got my own gear oil and brake fluid. I had not bought any gear oil, so I asked them to use theirs (from barrel). They did so... but now in retrospect I feel I didn't do the right thing... I don't have a way of knowing if they used the real thing.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:30   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

One problem with doing your own oil change is disposing the old oil. Any ideas, guys ?
Old 1st June 2009, 15:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

^^^As I'd said before - just give it to the service centre... which will go for recycling/counterfeiting/whatever. Just ask them what they do with it... as long as they dont just throw it somewhere, or put it in a drain, its good.

Last edited by Raccoon : 1st June 2009 at 15:51.
Old 1st June 2009, 16:17   #54
BANNED

They should have no problem with the old oil. I think they get paid for it!
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:34   #55
BHPian

In bangalore used oil is picked up from mech shops anywhere between 18rs to 25rs for a liter.
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:19   #56
BHPian

I have driven for over 200 KMs since the last oil change and my oil is still golden in colour, albeit with some discolouration.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:00   #57
BHPian

My car has run 6800kms, and i suppose its due for service by 10K, now i've to go for a long trip and wanted to top the engine oil, just in case. i donno what oil they've used at the service center and would there be any problem if i change the brand while topping her up?
Old 17th May 2010, 13:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by satheesh1909 View Post
My car has run 6800kms, and i suppose its due for service by 10K, now i've to go for a long trip and wanted to top the engine oil, just in case.
If your engine oil level in the dipstick is in the mid position between the maximum and minimum, you don't have to top up. A top up is needed if it is at the minimum level or below it.

Please see that you don't exceed the maximum if indeed you top up. If you stick to the recommended grade, the brand may not matter.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Order of activities while changing oil

Is there a 'correct' way of changing oil?

Here's what my mechanic did during oil change for my Alto last week:
1. The mechanic removed the oil filter and put a new oil filter first.
2. Then he removed the 'nut' from under the car, to drain the oil
3. After draining the oil and tightening the nut back, he then opened the top cap and filled the oil.

When I protested, he said nothing's wrong.

Even if the top cap was not left open when he drained oil, I would still have been comfortable if the mechanic first removed the oil filter, then drain the oil, then put a new oil filter, and then fill new oil.

What do you say?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 17th May 2010 at 14:34.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:10   #60
BHPian

I can confirm after having spoken to maruti engineers in 2 service stations that this is a perfectly normal oil behavior for diesel engine oils.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks