Team-BHP - Indica Turbo - air filter - service indicator
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Indica Turbo - air filter - service indicator (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/19707-indica-turbo-air-filter-service-indicator.html)

Hi,

The Indica Turbo air filter has a device called the 'service indicator', which i basically understand as some kind of gauge which indicates the level of dirt in the filter.
Can anyone please explain as to how to read/decipher that gauge. Have checked the service manual, it doesnt say anything in particular.

Will be doing a bangalore - ooty and then bangalore - kodai in the coming 2 weekends subsequently. So want to make sure the air filter is ok, (please advice as to other components which one needs to check too)

Although the car has gone through its 5000kms servicing (its done 8000 kms till now), and air filter cleaning is one of the components of the servicing; still have this niggling feeling at times that the dealer guys may not actually be doing it, but just ticking 'done' on their job sheets.

8000kms without cleaning is stretching it a bit too much. I suggest go to any small workshop guy. They will take 50rs and clean the filter with compressed air(which is what Tata workshop guys do).
I sometimes clean the air filter myself using a Vacuum cleaner in blower mode.

usually wat is the avg life of the air filter i know it depends on usage like muddy roads!!! wat is the actual duration

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 339997)

yes turbo_freak, as tsk says it is as simple as that.

and some points to note,...
- make sure your vacuum cleaner hose is clean first, else you will end up blowing home dust into the road dust.
- remember to blow only on the reverse (not on the dusty side), else you will be forcing dust into the filter
- replace exactly as removed :)

happy journey

If its a small cylindrical unit with a glass body and a rubber top, then the way it works is simple. If the filter is blocked the box tries to pull in air from other sources creating a low pressure/vacuum in the box. This causes a red, spring loaded cap inside the unit to be pulled into the glass covered area, signalling that the filter needs to be cleaned. Pushing the top part of the unit will reset the device.
Using a vacuum cleaner in blow mode will not give you enough pressure to clean a filter. You need dry, compressed air. This can be done in any place with a "drier" set up in their compressed air system and service centres are a bad idea as their air usually has high moisture content.

But wouldn't it make more sense to actually vaccum it than to blow it ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 339997)
8000kms without cleaning is stretching it a bit too much. I suggest go to any small workshop guy. They will take 50rs and clean the filter with compressed air(which is what Tata workshop guys do).

Thanks for the prompt response Tsk1979.
Will try it out right away.

Thanks for the prompt response guys.
Will try it out right away.