Team-BHP - Maruti Esteem
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Maruti Esteem (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/19750-maruti-esteem.html)

Hello everyone.

My 2001 maruti esteem seem to have some problem. The malfunction indicator light does not seem to go out. I had taken it to the repair shop and they said it must be due to some mice eating away the wire and what they did some how stopped the light by connecting a spare wire in to some fuse.

I am not impressed by the same as if this is not due to mice then my car may be in big problem as per the owner's manual. Owners manual states the following for the Malfunction indicator light

Your vehicle has a computer-controlled
emission control system. A “Malfunction
Indicator” light is provided on the instrument
panel to indicate when it is necessary to
have the emission control system serviced.
The “Malfunction Indicator” light comes on
when the ignition switch is turned to “ON”
and goes out when the engine is started.
If the “Malfunction Indicator” light comes on
when the engine is running, there is a
problem with the emission control system.
Take the vehicle to your MARUTI dealer to
have the problem corrected.

Continuing to drive the vehicle when
the “Malfunction Indicator” light is on
can cause permanent damage to the
vehicle’s emission control system, and
can affect fuel economy and
driveability."

I am at loss of thoughts because of the same. Please suggest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kailashnj (Post 340788)
Hello everyone.

My 2001 maruti esteem seem to have some problem. The malfunction indicator light does not seem to go out. I had taken it to the repair shop and they said it must be due to some mice eating away the wire and what they did some how stopped the light by connecting a spare wire in to some fuse.

I am not impressed by the same as if this is not due to mice then my car may be in big problem as per the owner's manual. Owners manual states the following for the Malfunction indicator light

Hello...
The repair shop you mentioned...was it a Maruti Service center???...IF it wasnt then you have to rush your car to a maruti service center.......As the light 'Check engine' says....you need to get your car checked....
rgrds,
angelfire

Please take your car to an authorized service center. They'll plug your ECM to their diagnosis computer.
If there is any real problem, ECM should spell it out.

kailash,

Dont lose any time in doing a error code scan. go to a MASS first or to anyone who can do this for you.

It can be anything. All depends on how much advanced the ECU is.

I got it on my OHC and had my heart in my hand until I got it rectified. Atleast it turned out to be only the Oxygen sensor.

Never let any street side mechanic touch the ECU part.

I too was told that it may be only a loose wire, when I went to a local guy to empty my fuel tank after the Honda guys refused to do it immediately.

kailashnj,

Cars with ECU should be serviced slightly differently compared to Premier Padminis or HM Ambassadors.

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will take my car to the authorized service station today itself.