Team-BHP - 2 stroke injection
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   2 stroke injection (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/19786-2-stroke-injection.html)

Hey.. am taking up project on fuel injection of a 2 stroke engine.. Please help me with ideas... any advice welcome..

Hi Ronk,

How about posting a little more background about your project ?

cya
R

oh, okay... it's absolutely in the beginning stage.. Only planning going on now.. intend to take an old 2 stroke engine, kinetic honda or something .. then modify it to house an injection unit.. injection circuit either made in house or sourced from somewhere else.. low budget... college project

yeah sure, the projects absolutely in the nascent stage.. basic plan is to get a 2 stroke kinetic honda engine or some other engine.. Modify it to house an injector.. injection circuit built in house or sourced from elsewhere... and do an efficiency study... Low budget, looking for sponsors, and people with technical knowhow, especially in the electronics part of the project... College final year project.

This one will be a challenge if you attempt DI. In 2 strokes there is no time for mixing and therefore you have to use an air assist injector that delivers premixed fuel vapour.

If you inject upstream of reed valve then its easy but there is no benefit over and above what a carb does. You need to get the timing right and tune (set) the injector pluse width using an o2 sensor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 341909)
This one will be a challenge if you attempt DI. In 2 strokes there is no time for mixing and therefore you have to use an air assist injector that delivers premixed fuel vapour.

Tough ask. And where would you find that sort of injector?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 341909)

yeah, where do we get an injector like that from.. and how much do you think the project will cost, an estimate..

Cost will depend on your control unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 342482)
Tough ask. And where would you find that sort of injector?

Dont think its freely available. Company called Orbital did lot of research and also makes the injectors.
So far there are 3 products I know of that have 2 stroke FI. There is an Aprillia scooter, a Taiwanese scooter and a Yamaha Outboard motor. The Yam however is not a DI.

Can't remember the Aprilia, but the Gilera Runner is 2T and FI. Dunno about those huge Kwacker jet-skis...they put out some serious horsepower though.

Well Aprilia took over Piaggio which owns Gilera and Vespa, so technically its the same engine. Aprilia calls it DiTech and Gilera calls it PureJet. Runner is a big wheel scooter.

The other one is actually a chinese scooter manufacturer called Sundiro (not Taiwanese like I earlier blurted out).

I for one am a big fan of 2 strokes and wish they can live on with DFI, but sadly the emission norms for 2 wheelers in India is stricter than Europe. :Frustrati (how stoopid is that considering autos that look like chemical weapons still roam around, maybe the union minister made a typo with the decimal point when he made the law). Even the DiTech that sold in Europe will not make indias emissions.

Here more info in the technology.

Synerject Direct Injection System

Ronk, your best bet is to source the system and retrofit it, or go for injection at the reed valve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 342865)
Ronk, your best bet is to source the system and retrofit it, or go for injection at the reed valve.

hey.. thanks, but then the project won't have much worth.. as viper said i think we can put it up.. and it'll work till 3000 rpm, maybe try that and then improve upon it, if possible.. how difficult is it to incorporate an air injection unit ourselves? oh and sorry about the ignorance, but what's a reed valve??

I suggest you try this setup with a 4 st engine instead. A lot easier...

Or use indirect injection, as in position the injector in the same place as the carburettor.

I cant tell you how complicated DI is without knowing what resources you have, but just to give you an idea, not many companies even attempted it. I believe TVS had done some research, you can talk to them thru your college. Bajaj actually purchased rights to Orbital technology but instead choose to go 4-stroke to meet emissions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v1p3r (Post 343013)
I suggest you try this setup with a 4 st engine instead. A lot easier...

you mean the project will be basically setting up an injector circuit?? or we should try air assisted injection?