Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2018, 21:25   #1
BHPian

Intermittent burning smell & smoke from the steering

Hello All,

Had this experience with my Manza ( Lakh+ km done ) since Oct/Nov 2017.
Thought of sharing as this seems tricky to get to ...

Initially a few times during early morning start felt some mild electrical burning kind of smell. However there was no observable smoke. Side stepped it as my illusion to begin with !!! this would have been say thrice over 4 - 6 weeks.

Then one fine day in second week of December 2017, saw some smoke emanating from the steering column. Immediately switched the ignition off.
And it seemed to be Ok ( from a fire risk perspective ).

Since i am far from the Authorized service station and it wasn't worth the risk to drive it. The car remained parked for almost 3 months. During this time i tried to address it with 2 local mechanics. On ignition ON mild smoke would show up. I would not let them drive and take the car to their shop. And they did not come back !!! Me too busy to pursue them to diagnose and fix it right in my parking

Then i fall back on a garage that i had prior experience with for my 118 NE.
Their team comes for a look and my battery is dead. Moreover, we are no longer able to reproduce smoke on ignition ON now. I get a new battery on 17th March and the smell/smoke is no where. The electrician leaves the steering column covers off for me to be able to figure out the exact location of smoke if/when it occurs.

I run the car per my routine for the next 2-3 weeks without any issue. Then i again have the covers put back in place thinking that the low voltage from the earlier weak battery might have been causing higher current & this smell n smoke.

The electrician did not seemed convinced though. Then on 19th April morning as i drive off from the fuel station after topping up, there's smoke again.

I park on the road side immediately, and switch OFF.
Call up the garage. Attendant arrives and then all seems fine once again.
Vehicle is driven to the garage all OK by the call attendant.

The electrician is off-duty for the day. The garage runs the car for their use all OK for the day. On the next day, the electrician pins it down to the IGNITION COUPLER !!!

Creating this thread - hoping it is better searchable with "smoke" and "steering" in thread title.

Post resolution of same - googled and found some instances with similar experience on the net where the issue is intermittent.

Hope this thread helps others .... Please share any similar experience you have.

Regards,
DS Matharu
dsmatharu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 22:49   #2
BHPian

re: Intermittent burning smell & smoke from the steering

Thanks for sharing your findings for the benefit of others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmatharu View Post
thinking that the low voltage from the earlier weak battery might have been causing higher current
This can never be true, a lower voltage will not cause a higher current draw from the load!
The higher current draw can happen with a drop in the resistance of the load(most likely in case of a short circuit).
Naveen_0181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveen_0181 View Post
This can never be true, a lower voltage will not cause a higher current draw from the load!
The higher current draw can happen with a drop in the resistance of the load(most likely in case of a short circuit).
Thanks, that clears it for me ... and the reason the electrician wasn't convinced.
Keep Learning !!!

It was the randomness with the smoke appearing that bugged me.
All the early instances of smell & smoke were immediately on Ignition ON in the morning past 7.00 hrs when i would go to for a school drop ...

Just the fire risk ( and no idea about insurance liability ) and the fact that i had a WagonR to fall back on .... this remained unattended with the Vehicle in my parking.
Inspite of my 2 attempt in between to get it diagnosed and addressed by the local mechanics.
dsmatharu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have you installed any aftermarket electrical items?

Check the acc points for blackening.

I think this is due to a short in an aftermarket item like lights or amp or horn
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 09:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was the randomness with the smoke appearing that bugged me. All the early instances of smell & smoke were immediately on Ignition ON in the morning past 7.00 hrs when i would go to for a school drop .
As you are aware, you are running the risk of a fire. I would just disconnect the battery, have the car towed or taken on a flatbed truck to the nearest Tata dealership for a complete check of the car's wiring looms at the dashboard, steering and the firewall.

I had a small electrical fire at home back in '09. We had the entire home wiring replaced. After that incident I take ALL electrical wiring issues very, very seriously. And as you are aware cars are way more prone to catching fire due to the presence of highly combustible materials and fuel.

So, please, please get your car checked ASAP!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Have you installed any aftermarket electrical items?

Check the acc points for blackening.

I think this is due to a short in an aftermarket item like lights or amp or horn
Only aftermarket item in my car is Seat Covers. Completely stock !!!
Issue as stated in the first post itself was with the IGNITION COUPLER.
This part/assembly is behind the ignition key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As you are aware, you are running the risk of a fire. I would just disconnect the battery, have the car towed or taken on a flatbed truck to the nearest Tata dealership for a complete check of the car's wiring looms at the dashboard, steering and the firewall.

I had a small electrical fire at home back in '09. We had the entire home wiring replaced. After that incident I take ALL electrical wiring issues very, very seriously. And as you are aware cars are way more prone to catching fire due to the presence of highly combustible materials and fuel.

So, please, please get your car checked ASAP!
Did first attempt to get it addressed with Concorde Pune.
Their breakdown contact also seemed reluctant, and suggested getting it addressed locally.
Knew the risks. Agree though, should have disconnected the battery to be safe.

Am usually cautious with anything electrical ...
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only aftermarket item in my car is Seat Covers. Completely stock !!! Issue as stated in the first post itself was with the IGNITION COUPLER. This part/assembly is behind the ignition key.
If you are sure this is the problem then have the wiring checked and the loom replaced if necessary. But I'd get it checked by a professional just to be sure. Also, do you have an airbag in the steering wheel? Get that checked too.

Quote:
Agree though, should have disconnected the battery to be safe. Am usually cautious with anything electrical
Best to disconnect the battery till the problem is traced and rectified.
Old 23rd April 2018, 14:56   #8
BHPian

Re: Intermittent burning smell & smoke from the steering

Have you checked the power steering motor ?
Smoke/smell is unlikely if the motor pinion grease dries up but additionally, if the pinion has a misplaced alignment(gap), it will take a lot of load from steering movement. The smell and smoke might be from the motor or the contact point.

This is just a guess and not based on any direct experience. I just had noise and steering lightness issue due to motor pinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks