Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2006, 14:07   #16
BHPian

dammnn cool bro! way to go! well would love to see it we could probably see you in the next delhi meet! seeing the response you should market this man! im sure it'll sell like hot cakes!

thats alot of hardwork though!! but im sure its well worth it to have something like that in your car and even more so knowin that you built it!!
Old 22nd December 2006, 18:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania View Post
dammnn cool bro! way to go! well would love to see it we could probably see you in the next delhi meet! seeing the response you should market this man! im sure it'll sell like hot cakes!

thats alot of hardwork though!! but im sure its well worth it to have something like that in your car and even more so knowin that you built it!!
Hi speed0mania,

Thanks for your message, it is really encouraging to see and hear people who understand and appreciate technology .

I will try to come to the next Delhi meet if someone wants to see it in action.

There is no problem at all in case someone wants to see a demo, but I stay in Gurgaon and if you can come then be my guest !!.

Thanks
Manik
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Custom built GPS

Hey man, that is really impressive. I use a Garmin iQue3600 with maps of Delhi & Mumbai preloaded and fairly accurate.

But your system is mind boggling. Where in DLF V you live; coz I too am in DLF V. let us meet up. I want to see the system working.....yuuuummm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikahuja View Post
Hi All,

Regarding roads getting closed due to repair / diversion etc, even the Professional Routing Solutions that are there for India do not take care of it. Infact most of them are based on quite old data , for example DLF Phase V, Gurgaon appears just as a big blank area in the Mapking Software. Google Earth actually shows my house and my car parked outside
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:47   #19
BHPian

count me in too. m in DLF III. it wud b lovely to see ur GPS setup.
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:48   #20
SRK
Senior - BHPian

WOW!!
Manik thats a really great job..You made it yourself???

Its superb...Will it replace everything in the car..I mean video,audio playback??
Also can it serve as an in car computer...and linked to a bigger screen at the back..or to a laptop??

Ok last question..Are you selling it???
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

I second and assciate with all that SRK has said. Will add to the last line of SRK. If you are selling will you also supervise the installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
WOW!!
Manik thats a really great job..
Ok last question..Are you selling it???
Old 23rd December 2006, 00:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I second and assciate with all that SRK has said. Will add to the last line of SRK. If you are selling will you also supervise the installation?
Hi Folks,

You are welcome to come and have a demo, Please PM me for contact details

Thanks
Manik

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2006 at 17:44.
Old 23rd December 2006, 18:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work Man.

Nowadays I am a ROM (read-only member) in TBHP due to time constraints, but decided to post this after seeing your work. Keep it going...

BTW, just how prudent is the idea of posting your address in a public forum? some baddies would not need a GPS to locate you and your car...
Old 23rd December 2006, 20:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Excellent work Man.

Nowadays I am a ROM (read-only member) in TBHP due to time constraints, but decided to post this after seeing your work. Keep it going...

BTW, just how prudent is the idea of posting your address in a public forum? some baddies would not need a GPS to locate you and your car...
Hi sandeepmdas,

Thanks for your email. I will definitely keep the work going on, have a lot of stuff to add on to make this a definitive Car PC.

Manik
Old 23rd December 2006, 22:39   #25
BHPian

Awesome work !!! Wishing you the best for all your "add-on" module plans !! The way i see it, this is paving the way for a lot of exciting and innovative ideas to come.......
Old 23rd December 2006, 23:16   #26
BHPian

Awesome!!!

Hi manik,
simply amazing stuff & congrats on your project your 2yrs of hard work & research has paid off well keep it going.

i would like to know few more things on that setup how is the GPS receiver interfaced to the laptop & how does the software recognize it?

keeping aside the current setup, if i have laptop in my car running windows XP & i have reliance data card for net connection & running google earth
what all other things (hardware/software)will i require to have same setup running online with display on my laptop, how does gps receiver talks to google earth online & transfer the data to the laptop? is it real time or some delay?
I know i am throwing so many questions to you but i am really very anxious to know
thanks

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 23rd December 2006 at 23:18.
Old 24th December 2006, 10:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Hi manik,
simply amazing stuff & congrats on your project your 2yrs of hard work & research has paid off well keep it going.

i would like to know few more things on that setup how is the GPS receiver interfaced to the laptop & how does the software recognize it?

keeping aside the current setup, if i have laptop in my car running windows XP & i have reliance data card for net connection & running google earth
what all other things (hardware/software)will i require to have same setup running online with display on my laptop, how does gps receiver talks to google earth online & transfer the data to the laptop? is it real time or some delay?
I know i am throwing so many questions to you but i am really very anxious to know
thanks
Hi FordRocam,

Thanks for your message, I will try to explain the things that you have asked for , please don't hold me responsible is this does not work in your setup. There are just too many things needed to make this work perfectly and I cannot assume responsibility for the same. I hope you understand

You will need a GPS Receiver that is compatible with your Laptop for getting the GPS signals. The receiver could be either a serial, usb or even a bluetooth enabled unit.

Then you will need to write software that can interface with both the GPS Receiver that you have and with Google Earth for displaying your position within Google Earth. You could look up Google Earth's help on how to write KML files for displaying positions at Google KML , I used the same information to write my software.

Finally you will need to know Serial / USB / Bluetooth programming in 'C' and you will also need to know 'XML' pretty well to make this interface software and integrate it with Google Earth.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Manik
Old 27th December 2006, 15:17   #28
BHPian

Hi manik,
Can this GPS system be fitted in the New WagonR Vxi?? .... i'll be buying it in a months' time(I mean WagonR ). What do u suggest??
Old 27th December 2006, 16:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi manik,
Can this GPS system be fitted in the New WagonR Vxi?? .... i'll be buying it in a months' time(I mean WagonR ). What do u suggest??
Hi,

You could sure use it in a WagonR, the Screen would be mounted in the place of the 2 DIN Stereo slot that is present in the car. The Stereo will need to be relocated in this case.

Or you could mount the Screen on top of the Dashboard if that suits you.

The second option of mounting it on top of the dashboard would be better as you will not need to do any modifications to the dashboard.

Thanks
Manik
Old 27th December 2006, 17:04   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikahuja View Post
Hi FordRocam,

Thanks for your message, I will try to explain the things that you have asked for , please don't hold me responsible is this does not work in your setup. There are just too many things needed to make this work perfectly and I cannot assume responsibility for the same. I hope you understand

You will need a GPS Receiver that is compatible with your Laptop for getting the GPS signals. The receiver could be either a serial, usb or even a bluetooth enabled unit.

Then you will need to write software that can interface with both the GPS Receiver that you have and with Google Earth for displaying your position within Google Earth. You could look up Google Earth's help on how to write KML files for displaying positions at Google KML , I used the same information to write my software.

Finally you will need to know Serial / USB / Bluetooth programming in 'C' and you will also need to know 'XML' pretty well to make this interface software and integrate it with Google Earth.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Manik
hi Manik,
A better solution would be to purchase Google earth+(20$ ?). If the GPS system is Magellen or Garmin with USB connection cable(serial wont work as most laptops do not have serial port) you can connect it to LAPTOP and it will show the marker.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks