Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2006, 17:40   #1
BHPian

Driving Position / Where to hold the steering wheel!

Like all people who love to drive, I have constantly experimented with various driving position. Seat pushed all the way back, Steering wheel real low, when I want to look and feel cool. Wheel Closer and higher when I need to be cautious of the terrain, seat high,..seat low...the list continues....and is endless !!

However wasn't really sure which one would really help me be a better driver. I thought I was doing okay, Untill I realized I was missing more than one or two shifts during rapid up-shifting,..and down-shifting manovers.

Some research on the subject yeilded this link. Must read for all performance oriented brothers out there.

Is There a Correct Driving Position?

Motor on !!
Old 22nd December 2006, 18:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Driving position works for race cars, bcos everything is designed keeping the driver in mind.

Regular road car can adjust steering and seating postions to a certain extent, but to get a perfect setup, you'l have to start from scratch.

Some supercars like the Carrera GT, Enzo Ferrari, Mclaren F1 etc have the cockpit designed to match the person buying it.

Everything from pedal design to seat dimensions can be altered, even before you buy the Enzo.

For us regular people, just make the best of what is available.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:20   #3
BHPian

I am driven by the safety rule as far as seating position goes. I make sure there is at least a cubit of distance between my chest and the closest part of steering wheel to me. It probably turns out to be some thing like 8 inches. Other factors are if I can fully depress the clutch and brakes from a position and the visibility I get of the vehicle borders.

My recliner generally is in a position where it gives me enough lumbar support, but occasionally changes based on the comfort level I feel and the visibility.

Last edited by sreenivass : 22nd December 2006 at 20:23.
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading somewhere that the 10.10 position of a clock is the ideal position to hold the steering as it enables to make most of the turns with ease. I used to have a different position before but when I tried 10.10 I felt more comfortable and had better control over the vehicle.
Old 25th January 2007, 01:44   #5

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

infact the best postion for holding the steering wheel while driving is 9-3 instead of 10-2.try it and you will feel the difference.
Old 25th January 2007, 02:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
infact the best postion for holding the steering wheel while driving is 9-3 instead of 10-2.try it and you will feel the difference.

For me it is 9-3.
Old 25th January 2007, 02:30   #7
BANNED

Driving position

hey,
i agree to the fact that 9-3 might be a good position to drive or may it be 10-10 but in a city like mumbai where there is traffic every two minutes i feel the best position to drive is with your right hand right on top at 12 and the left hand on your gear as you will require to down-shift every two blocks.lol
cheers.
Old 25th January 2007, 05:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

What i do is push my seat back all the way until my when my hands are fully stretched out my wrists are on the steering wheel. In a Santro this means that the seat is fully pushed back...
Old 25th January 2007, 10:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

3 o clock position for RHD cars, and 9 o clock position for LHD cars. Altho I steer one-handed most of the times
Old 25th January 2007, 11:00   #10
BHPian

Ideal position according to me is "8" and "4". (though most of the time I follow one hand 12-1)

Anyother position will cause more damage if airbag is deployed.

Other logic is look at your controls ( indicator/ headlight and wiper) position. They are closer to 8-4.
Old 25th January 2007, 13:15   #11
BHPian

I feel driving position will differ from car to car. We cannot have same driving positiom for tall boy santro and low car like lancer.
Old 25th January 2007, 13:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

We used to be tought that hands should be at 10-2 but that was 25 years ago maybe things have changed.
Old 25th January 2007, 13:35   #13
BHPian

interesting thread, but does it really belong in Technical Stuff?

I prefer a good bit of distance from chest to steering wheel, with the seat reclined to quite an obtuse angle....bit of a hangover from my days of driving in the States. An interesting case in point was driving my buddy's '89 Chevy Monte Carlo there. That thing was so huge and didn't have working seat adjusters....so with my little 5'7" frame, I was in so low that I sometimes only saw the road through the top half of the wheel! hehe...

I almost always drive one-handed with my left hand on the gear lever here, what with the constant gear changes in the city. Except when making long turns where I'll get both hands on the wheel. This was not so when I first started driving though - both hands clutching the wheel like it was dear life itself!!
Old 25th January 2007, 13:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Feel right hand at 2, and left hand at 8 is the best position for RHD cars.
Seat height definitely, so you see over the steering wheel and possibly should also be able to see the front fender ends.
back rest reclining should be 100/120 degrees to seat base, depending on size of person and comfort level to support the thighs fully to the seat.
Old 25th January 2007, 14:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

My preferred position when i'm concentrating on my driving is 10 to 2 with the seatback upright & the seat pulled back to the location where my left leg can depress the clutch fully without stretching it completely.

Also the straight seat-back helps with my back condition a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks