Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 11:54   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series (E90) - Completely switches off on the move!

I second this suggestion. Please don't take this matter lightly and get it thoroughly checked before you can take it for any trip, no matter how close or far. Stick with that X1 you talked about until this is sorted. Like mentioned, it's not just your car and life, but lives of others around you that is important as well. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
I would request you to take the car in flatbet to Kolkata. With all due respect, If the issue reoccurs you would put your life as well as other persons life in danger. I shudder to think what will happen in case if my steering got lock at 100 kmph speed in a highway. I will still accept if the issue happened only for the first time. But it happened thrice in the span of 48 hours. Please do the complete diagnosis and then think about taking the car out of the city on open highways.

Please keep this thread posted and drive safe. Also kindly avoid spirited driving in this car until BMW gives a clean chit.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 23:00   #32
BHPian

Hi,

I strongly believe one of your cars relay's are sticking, mostly relay powering ECU or BCM ( Body control module). Try all possible relays.
A competent automotive electrician with good PCM knowledge ( now just BMW dealership) can trace this.

Or a faulty battery connection. Try another battery.

Sticky relay's are a pain to sort as you have to diagnose when the problem happens, unfortunately!

One tip: when it happens ( and if it is safe to do so) pay close attention to all the relays in the fuse box. Wait untill the car resets and see which relay clicked and made it reset. I know it is not easy to do when you are stuck in the middle of road.

You are seeing all these fault codes beacuse the system is loosing power abruptly.

I wish I could have be more helpful if you were near to me (Kerala).

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Kannan.
autodoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 00:17   #33
BHPian

BMW 3-Series (E90) - Completely switches off on the move!

Hi,

I faced a similar issue in my E90 320D wherein my car would not unlock via remote, manually unlocked it and all electric components were dead (couldn't access the boot as well and it wouldn't even accept the key).

Tried jump starting it but there was no response. Then after a couple of hours it would start absolutely normally. This issue propped up intermittently with no pattern. Sent the car to the BMW workshop at least 4 times but couldn't find a solution.

Finally after a lot of research, diagnosed the problem as the earthing points being rusted.

Apparently the E90 has about 20 earthing points and in my case 2 were rusted so would not pass electricity and the electric circuit is rendered incomplete.

Ask your BMW workshop to inspect each earthing point most probably that will solve the issue.

After my problem was diagnosed, haven't faced this issue even once in over two years.

Hope it helps.

Paddy

Last edited by Ferrarimaniac : 26th May 2018 at 00:19.
Ferrarimaniac is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 13:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
I would request you to take the car in flatbet to Kolkata. With all due respect, If the issue reoccurs you would put your life as well as other persons life in danger. I shudder to think what will happen in case if my steering got lock at 100 kmph speed in a highway. I will still accept if the issue happened only for the first time. But it happened thrice in the span of 48 hours. Please do the complete diagnosis and then think about taking the car out of the city on open highways.

Please keep this thread posted and drive safe. Also kindly avoid spirited driving in this car until BMW gives a clean chit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
I second this suggestion. Please don't take this matter lightly and get it thoroughly checked before you can take it for any trip, no matter how close or far. Stick with that X1 you talked about until this is sorted. Like mentioned, it's not just your car and life, but lives of others around you that is important as well. Take care.
Thanks guys, have cancelled the plan to drive it to Kolkata but going by my experience with dealership doesn't give me much hope that they will be able to solve an electricity issue like this easily as Ferrarimaniac said in this thread "Sent the car to the BMW workshop at least 4 times but couldn't find a solution." but there's no other option as of now then this so will plan to get it sent and be personally present as well though after the new battery the issue haven't reoccured but the car isn't used much as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodoctor View Post
Hi,

I strongly believe one of your cars relay's are sticking, mostly relay powering ECU or BCM ( Body control module). Try all possible relays.
A competent automotive electrician with good PCM knowledge ( now just BMW dealership) can trace this.

Or a faulty battery connection. Try another battery.

Sticky relay's are a pain to sort as you have to diagnose when the problem happens, unfortunately!

One tip: when it happens ( and if it is safe to do so) pay close attention to all the relays in the fuse box. Wait untill the car resets and see which relay clicked and made it reset. I know it is not easy to do when you are stuck in the middle of road.

You are seeing all these fault codes beacuse the system is loosing power abruptly.

I wish I could have be more helpful if you were near to me (Kerala).

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Kannan.
Haha, I too wish I was in the South as there are pretty good independent garages there. Will do what you said as well as follow the valuable suggestion given by Ferrarimaniac today only and update further

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrarimaniac View Post
Hi,

I faced a similar issue in my E90 320D wherein my car would not unlock via remote, manually unlocked it and all electric components were dead (couldn't access the boot as well and it wouldn't even accept the key).

Tried jump starting it but there was no response. Then after a couple of hours it would start absolutely normally. This issue propped up intermittently with no pattern. Sent the car to the BMW workshop at least 4 times but couldn't find a solution.

Finally after a lot of research, diagnosed the problem as the earthing points being rusted.

Apparently the E90 has about 20 earthing points and in my case 2 were rusted so would not pass electricity and the electric circuit is rendered incomplete.

Ask your BMW workshop to inspect each earthing point most probably that will solve the issue.

After my problem was diagnosed, haven't faced this issue even once in over two years.

Hope it helps.

Paddy
Old 30th May 2018, 05:31   #35

I would strongly recommend doing a full ECU dump. Definitely an electrical bug causing the ECU to shutdown. The jump start does not work because the ECU goes offline. Can also be engine heat that may be causing some connection to expand and break electrical continuity. I had a similar experience with my 335 water pump blowing on the highway. NOT Fun Been there.
Old 5th August 2018, 20:24   #36
BHPian

Final update guys; so one fine day it just refused to start any further. just when I was thinking of dismantling its parts and making it a showpiece as I was really not willing to spend anything on it I decided to open a few things for the sake of curiosity. When I removed the ECU I found some fluid moving inside it. Called a local experienced mechanic to have a look at it and he said its water which causes short circuit and now the ECU is dead as even the scanner was saying 'DDE - ECM not equipped'. He recommended me to import a new kit consisting of new ECU, CAS and key from Europe which wasn't a very legitimate idea IMO but then came across a guy in Delhi while doing an online research who was selling the ECU of same part number. Dropped him a message at midnight and had a telephonic conversation. He quoted me 80k + air tickets. A little bit of negotiations he agreed to do it for 75k + air tickets to Patna. That same night we decided to book the flight which was 7-8 hours later of our convo with return on the same evening. He came, took 15 mins to swap the ECU, did some programming and voila the car started! We did the work at my home, fitted the parts removed by me during my curiosity search and went on a good 30-40 kms drive. Everything seemed ok. Transferred him half the amount immediately and said I will do the rest after I check it for the next 2-3 days. Without a hiccup he agreed! Dropped him off to the airport after taking him around in the city a little. Over all great experience, guy runs this company called Adil Automobiles in Delhi and if anyone needs the contact number or more details feel free to PM me. Here's a full stop to this topic for the time being or I wish this is it when it comes to troubles with this car

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 5th August 2018 at 20:26.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 21:48   #37
BHPian

Oh cool. Glad it's sorted.

Since you said water inside or water ingress, it will be a good idea why the water came there in the first place. Check if any of the rubber beading (s) are out of place or clogged or worn out. Just to be sure it doesn't happen again.
Enjoy

Kannan.
autodoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 14:07   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Over all great experience, guy runs this company called Adil Automobiles in Delhi and if anyone needs the contact number or more details feel free to PM me. Here's a full stop to this topic for the time being or I wish this is it when it comes to troubles with this car
Could you please write a review in our Delhi directory please ?
Old 7th August 2018, 22:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
When I removed the ECU I found some fluid moving inside it. Called a local experienced mechanic to have a look at it and he said its water which causes short circuit and now the ECU is dead as even the scanner was saying 'DDE - ECM not equipped'.
Had a similar experience with my Skoda Yeti. Refused to start and the glow plug error showed on the MID. The symptoms didn't match the error though. Diagnosed it to a blown chip in the ECU. The chip that controls the injectors. We too found a bit of moisture in the ECU. It is odd that Skoda places the ECU below the windscreen susceptible to water. So fortunately I did not have to change the entire ECU unless I had given it to Skoda for diagnoses.

Im guessing in your case, the ECU had collected water and got totally destroyed.

As autodoctor mentioned, it is important to find out the cause of the water entering the ECU. We don't want 75k to go down the drain!
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 23:09   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

As autodoctor mentioned, it is important to find out the cause of the water entering the ECU. We don't want 75k to go down the drain!
The seal for the pollen filter may not have been aligned properly causing water to leak in

Muck blocking the water drainage holes below the windscreen causing seepage elsewhere.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 11:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Muck blocking the water drainage holes below the windscreen causing seepage elsewhere.
Yes, in case of our Skoda Yeti, this was the issue.
Old 8th August 2018, 20:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Had a similar experience with my Skoda Yeti. Refused to start and the glow plug error showed on the MID. The symptoms didn't match the error though. Diagnosed it to a blown chip in the ECU. The chip that controls the injectors. We too found a bit of moisture in the ECU. It is odd that Skoda places the ECU below the windscreen susceptible to water. So fortunately I did not have to change the entire ECU unless I had given it to Skoda for diagnoses.

Im guessing in your case, the ECU had collected water and got totally destroyed.

Haha, we sure don't. Travelling so unfortunately neither was I able to drive the car nor look into it further but as ajmat suggested the pollen filter and underneath the windshield area needs to be checked on a high priority basis. Will do it and post pictures. Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The seal for the pollen filter may not have been aligned properly causing water to leak in

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks