Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:57   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Whining sort of noise only at a certain rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Any more diagnosis? Should I get a Maruti engineer involved? If I go down this route it will be more of a complaint against a service station and its inability to solve this issue rather than 'asking for help' as the reporting mechanism itself is a complain mechanism, does anyone know a Maruti engineer whom I could talk to?
Ask the service center to raise the issue from their end, instead of you escalating the issue. That should not be an issue right?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2018, 17:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you have a underbody hit lately? Friend had a similar issue with his Ritz and it was the exhaust header pipe slightly touching the chassis where it bends 90% to travel and attach to catcon. Was caused due to a underbody hit . Had to remove the exhaust header and heat bend it back to shape.

In general, i feel this is something hitting against the bottom part of the firewall which is manifesting as a damped sound from dashboard
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 02:04   #18

Quote:
When the engine is revved to 2800-2900 rpm, there is a peculiar whining kind of noise which appears, it looks like a whine but it could be a whoozing sound too, I am not sure! I can't seem to figure out. The sound goes away after 2900 rpm till whatever RPM i rev it too, its only present in this rpm zone. If I drove at 120 which at this rpm, the sound stays till I drive at this speed, either I have to slow down or speed up for the sound to disappear.

Surprisingly if the same thing is tried while in neutral, there is no sound at all, even if the rpm's are held at that range, it sounds absolutely normal.

The car is accelerating perfectly, there is no smoke from anywhere, the pickup is same as it used to be

I am having the exact same issue. Did you find out what was wrong?? Took it to Mr. Jayprakash, but he couldn't find what is wrong. He asked me to keep driving and later check.
It will be really helpful if you can share how you fixed it.!

Last edited by Aditya : 5th May 2022 at 20:56. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Ajmal007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 11:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmal007 View Post
I am having the exact same issue. Did you find out what was wrong?? Took it to Mr. Jayprakash, but he couldn't find what is wrong. He asked me to keep driving and later check.
It will be really helpful if you can share how you fixed it.!
Hi Ajmal.

No, I could not figure out the issue. Took it to Ravi Automobile to check, Navneet too once but could not figure it out. This has started after the timing chain was replaced, before that there was no such sound. Was your timing chain recently replaced too?

The car is at 1 lakh 81 thousand kilometres now so 23-24 thousand kilometres and lots of 1000 km road trips since the sound started, I have learnt to live with it because if I take to some other service station, I am scared that they will open a lot of things and in that bargain ruin the car.

So waiting for to increase to unbearable levels and then will try and problem solve it. The good part is in the 23-24 thousand kilometres the car has run since the noise started, it has not increased at all from what it was.

Last edited by humyum : 31st August 2020 at 12:05.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 17:35   #20

Quote:
Hi Ajmal.

No, I could not figure out the issue. Took it to Ravi Automobile to check, Navneet too once but could not figure it out.
=====
The good part is in the 23-24 thousand kilometres the car has run since the noise started, it has not increased at all from what it was.
I took it to 2 different service stations. Nobody's able to find what is gone wrong. Today again I gave it to a mechanic for the same reason. It's very annoying to have that sound while driving. Some say it can be worn out mounts or some bearings. But not sure till now. Hoping this mechanic can find it out. Will get to know by tomorrow!!
By the way timing belt was changed long back. The recent change before the noise is the front suspension set. I started noticing the sound slightly after this change.
Is there any chances this noise can be related to any suspension part??
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:54   #21

Hi Humyum
Mechanic got back. He said the timing belt tensioner and bearings are worn. So he suggested changing the kit. Will try changing it and see if the noise arrests.
Old 7th September 2020, 19:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Humyum
Mechanic got back. He said the timing belt tensioner and bearings are worn. So he suggested changing the kit. Will try changing it and see if the noise arrests.
But then why would this noise come only under load? By under load I mean if this was the case this should be heard when we press the accelerator in neutral too right?

What I have also tried is jacking the car up, putting it into 5th and getting to that RPM, no noise, only happens under load.

Anyway, let me know what turns out after your replacement.

Sorry, I missed your early post, no does not sound like anything related to the suspension as its more of rpm related.
Old 9th September 2020, 23:28   #23

Quote:
But then why would this noise come only under load? By under load I mean if this was the case this should be heard when we press the accelerator in neutral too right?

What I have also tried is jacking the car up, putting it into 5th and getting to that RPM, no noise, only happens under load.

Anyway, let me know what turns out after your replacement.

Sorry, I missed your early post, no does not sound like anything related to the suspension as its more of rpm related.
Hi Humyum
Sorry for the late reply. Was busy running behind the Garage people. Unfortunately after they replaced the timing belt and water pump, some new issue came up. I did not get the vehicle back. It is around 8 days now.
So now the problem is,
The car start once (only for first time) then if we turn off the car, then it wont turn back on. So then again battery has to be disconnected and left for few minutes and then try again. So I'm worried if they messed up with the timing or if it is something related to electrical connections.
Anyway they asked few days extension and promised to give the car fixed. Fingers crossed!! Hope they didn't bend the valves or break any thing inside the engine by doing a bad timing job. A whole stressful week this is
Old 11th September 2020, 18:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Humyum
Sorry for the late reply. Was busy running behind the Garage people. Unfortunately after they replaced the timing belt and water pump, some new issue came up. I did not get the vehicle back. It is around 8 days now.
So now the problem is,
The car start once (only for first time) then if we turn off the car, then it wont turn back on. So then again battery has to be disconnected and left for few minutes and then try again. So I'm worried if they messed up with the timing or if it is something related to electrical connections.
Anyway they asked few days extension and promised to give the car fixed. Fingers crossed!! Hope they didn't bend the valves or break any thing inside the engine by doing a bad timing job. A whole stressful week this is
No problem, did you get it back yet? What is the SDT saying? Is any error code being generated?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 01:36   #25

Quote:
No problem, did you get it back yet? What is the SDT saying? Is any error code being generated?
No response from them. They said they are not able to scan. I mean the scanner is not connecting to the ECU. Clearly no idea what is wrong. Any BHPians from Chennai can help me out ??!
The workshop people said they'll fix it but they need time. But I'm really getting worried. Its already been 10days.
What should I do about it !?
Should i wait and give the garage people time as they promised to fix the issue or file a complaint or something??
Old 21st September 2020, 21:19   #26

Quote:
Hi Humyum
Finally got the car back today. The car didn't start because there was a loose connection in the wiring harness for crankshaft sensor. They rectified it and car runs fine.
By the way, about the whining/grinding noise. Happy that it's gone now . That means one or few parts in the timing belt/water pump setup was making that noise. I dont know which part to be exact but after the timing belt work, It's gone.
Old 27th September 2020, 01:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Humyum
Finally got the car back today. The car didn't start because there was a loose connection in the wiring harness for crankshaft sensor. They rectified it and car runs fine.
By the way, about the whining/grinding noise. Happy that it's gone now . That means one or few parts in the timing belt/water pump setup was making that noise. I dont know which part to be exact but after the timing belt work, It's gone.
Oh that's great news. My noise started after the timing belt work and your's is gone after that

For now, I am just letting it be as its 45 thousand around since the timing chain work and at 182500 I am skeptical of them opening anything as sometimes the tendency to ruin stuff in lieu of them fixing it is quite high.

Did you check for the noise in the running car or while at idle and revving it? Mine only comes when its in gear and accelerating aka under load.
Old 29th September 2020, 06:56   #28

Quote:
Oh that's great news. My noise started after the timing belt work and your's is gone after that

For now, I am just letting it be as its 45 thousand around since the timing chain work and at 182500 I am skeptical of them opening anything as sometimes the tendency to ruin stuff in lieu of them fixing it is quite high.

Did you check for the noise in the running car or while at idle and revving it? Mine only comes when its in gear and accelerating aka under load.
For me also the noise was only while I accelerate and in a particular rpm range. That's the reason all the mechanics suggested driveshaft, propeller shaft, CV joints etc. Checked all of them and those were fine.
Strange this is that all the old timing belt and bearings are looking fine (no damage/ wiggle) only part looked bad was water pump. But that cant make the winning noise at load. Not sure what it is but happy that it is fixed now
Old 17th March 2021, 11:30   #29
BHPian

Have you tried tightening your turbo and intercooler pipes? A small air leak can manifest as that sound at certain RPMs.
Old 29th May 2023, 02:16   #30

Hello everyone,

I have a Polo 1.2 MPI which is almost 9 years old now and I have been facing similar kind of issue in my Polo as well but I'm getting this whining type noise between 1500 RPM to 1900 RPM, before 1500 RPM there's no sound and after 1900 RPM there's no sound coming as well.
I know another person with the same car, same engine facing the exact same issue.
Strangely, this sound doesn't come when the AC is on and if the AC is off then the sound comes under acceleration and it's irritating like anything.
As of now we both have changed the tensioner pulley but that didn't help either, I'm totally clueless!

Surprisingly the other Polo's V.belt was fixed differently than the stock and the sound didn't come but VW service center said that's not the right way to put the V.belt but the thing is in stock way the sound is still coming.

Apart from the sound, the car behaves totally normal.
BODHI25 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks