Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2006, 16:41   #16
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I entirely agree with navdeep and most of you here.
A PS is not an option you should'nt consider anymore. It is a necessity. And a power steering or not does not actually matter in speeds or lane changing on the highway, u need it most in the city in slow traffic and most of all Parking.
Well, here is a link to an expert's opinion on the power steering, which should answer Mithun's question.

The Hindu Business Line : Question 'n' Auto

This expert is apparently of the view that at high speeds the power assist should be small in order to reduce the risk of an "over-reaction during a potential mishap situation". So he feels that EPS is superior to the HPS in this respect. But personally I somehow like my Santro's (Zip Drive, HPS) instant response to steering inputs at high speeds as this gives me the confidence to approach a slow vehicle ahead at high speeds and then cut lanes when I am almost at his tail. It is just a matter of getting used to the instant response and therefore knowing what steering inputs to give.

Last edited by rks : 27th December 2006 at 16:57.
Old 28th December 2006, 10:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
It is just a matter of getting used to the instant response and therefore knowing what steering inputs to give.
Exactly!! Problem with the so called experts is that they drive so many different cars, where as people like us drive one or two cars regularly. (Normal) Human brain is so adaptive, that it can tune itself to the situation.
Old 28th December 2006, 10:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

I own a wagonR VXi, and i really really love the EPS system... (I have driven a M800 for 7 years... You certainly can live with a non PS car)... But, EPS certainly takes a lot of strain from driving... Specially in cities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
It is just a matter of getting used to the instant response and therefore knowing what steering inputs to give.

The wagonR has one of the lightest steerings in the market... Some say its over light, and is scary at high speeds... Thats just cause they are not used to it... I dont find any problem with the EPS at high speeds... Just need to adjust to having a responisve steering...

Well, At the same time, i now find some other PS systems too hard... The fiesta PS, i found to behave like a non PS maruti... And had a hard time, when i first took the car for the drive... But after i got used to it, felt it was on the best in the industry...

Its just a matter of getting used to the car...
Old 28th December 2006, 11:18   #19

The wagonR has one of the lightest steerings in the market... "Some say its over light, and is scary at high speeds... "

When I had given my wagon R for servicing, I remember the guy who fills the work sheet told me that 'there will not be any PS effect once you reach 40kms/hr'. I was inquiring about EPS and Hydraulic
Old 28th December 2006, 12:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Front wheel drive cars under the ton dont necessarily require a power steering. Not surprising if you consider that most Mahindra jeeps dont have one
Old 28th December 2006, 12:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

One day my wagonR EPS was messed up by a local mechanic, which disabled the EPS. Believe me, i felt like driving a truck after that. The EPS is so much fun, and i now wonder how do people drive non-PS cars. As Manveet pointed out, there are situations whre you need to control the steering with one hand, thats where EPS is so much necessary. And specially if you drive within city limit and speeds.
Old 28th December 2006, 14:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Front wheel drive cars under the ton dont necessarily require a power steering. Not surprising if you consider that most Mahindra jeeps dont have one
Hmm then why are some of the Tata trucks still without PS are they too under a ton ??

Anyways I think the answer is clear. a PS is surely a must unless ofcourse you are really tight on budget but still recommended.
Old 28th December 2006, 14:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hmm then why are some of the Tata trucks still without PS are they too under a ton ??

Anyways I think the answer is clear. a PS is surely a must unless ofcourse you are really tight on budget but still recommended.

2 points to note:

1. Personal preference would obviously gravitate toward the PS. But thats not the objective of the topic, I think. If the topic were abt whether people want a PS - the thread would be a no-brainer.

2. The high-level example I gave is particularly limited to cars - as is made clear in "Front wheel drive cars under the ton ...". CVs are not intended in that statement
Old 28th December 2006, 15:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

You made blanket statement & so did I

Coming to topic from my personal experience a PS is must (after having driven both kind of cars).
Old 28th December 2006, 19:59   #25
SLK
Senior - BHPian

WagonR sure needs a PS.... it has a slightly more non-PS effort... compared to other small cars.

As far as the rumor that the steering is over light is concerned... .. well, this was again spread by some mag. ... otherwise try driving a NHC... which has a 50% steering effort as compared to WagonR... .. people don't seem to complain too much about that!
Old 28th December 2006, 21:36   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
WagonR sure needs a PS.... it has a slightly more non-PS effort... compared to other small cars.

As far as the rumor that the steering is over light is concerned... .. well, this was again spread by some mag. ... otherwise try driving a NHC... which has a 50% steering effort as compared to WagonR... .. people don't seem to complain too much about that!

The magazines always do...

One word i always find about the NHC is 'lifeless steering'. anyways.. i dont fully take what the mags say...
Old 29th December 2006, 02:27   #27
elf
BANNED

If your friend isn't going to put wider tyres & alloys, then power steering is avoidable, especially on highways. In the city, it's a boon. I personally find Maruti PS to be overboosted & lacking in feel.
Old 29th December 2006, 06:05   #28
BANNED

But some folks are of the opinion that people are driving even Indicas/Palios without a PS, so what's the need for a PS on a puny Maruti car like WagonR ?

But from my own personal experience I have never felt the need for a PS on old Zen/Alto. So does WagonR(which is having a turning radius of 4.6m) really needs a PS when compared to them ?
Old 29th December 2006, 07:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
But some folks are of the opinion that people are driving even Indicas/Palios without a PS, so what's the need for a PS on a puny Maruti car like WagonR ?
Have your friends driven the puny WagonR without PS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
But from my own personal experience I have never felt the need for a PS on old Zen/Alto. So does WagonR(which is having a turning radius of 4.6m) really needs a PS when compared to them ?
Have you driven the WagonR w/o PS?

Please refer post #9.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post344226

I appreciate the fact that you are trying to get this Query resolved for a friend, but what's the point of quoting non-expert and non-owner opinion all over the place? - it's not going to get you anywhere or anything except a really long and irrelevant thread.

No offense,
Regards.
Old 29th December 2006, 08:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
I appreciate the fact that you are trying to get this Query resolved for a friend, but what's the point of quoting non-expert and non-owner opinion all over the place? - it's not going to get you anywhere or anything except a really long and irrelevant thread.

There is no defenite conclusion for the thread...

It is NOT NECESSARY for a car like wagonR to have PS...

But... Its always a nice feature to have... Wont regret the decision later on...

Most Viewed