Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 10:30   #31
BHPian

Take it easy guys. The real question is do you need power steering?

As CrazyDriver mentioned, I haven't seen any one regretting buying a car with PS. If you can live without PS, go ahead.
Old 29th December 2006, 10:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Take it easy guys. The real question is do you need power steering?
Oh, I thought the real question was if the WagonR needed PS?

Old 29th December 2006, 14:18   #33
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Oh, I thought the real question was if the WagonR needed PS?

Well the real question is.... do YOU need a power steering in a WAGON R?

Answer from my side.. after driving a wagonr for 6+ years is .... "it's better to have one".

Otherwise.... you don't even need the wider tyres and booster assisted brakes.... etc....

How do you decide, whether a car needs a PS or not? ... drive any car with PS and then drive a Maruti 800 .. i.e. the lightest of all. ... you'll know that even a 800 could make some use of the PS.

Need is not the right word to be used in the question.... its like... whether you "WANT" it?
Old 29th December 2006, 14:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

WagonR, or for that matter any car can do without PS. But with PS, your driving effort comes down signifcantly. If you want to drive with less effort, go for PS. Otherwise no. Its personal choice and budget.
Example: I spend more effort on driving my uncle's 800 (without PS) than my NHC (with EPS).
Old 29th December 2006, 14:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Eggzactly you put it in correct words now. Was trying to say similar but i guess i couldnt. Phew English is a phunny language

In this particular case there is a very thin line between Want & Need
Old 29th December 2006, 15:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure we all understand the difference between Want and Need.

Having owned a non-PS WagonR for 6+ years, I believe that it's a need.

Does the WagonR NEED a PS? I believe it does.

Other's are most welcome to dispute my opinion ONLY if they have had driven the non-PS "WagonR".

p.s. Let's not be generic again and quote M800, EPS vs. PS et. all - I'm just trying to get us a conclusion here.
Old 29th December 2006, 19:08   #37
BHPian

A power steering does make life easier... but if you wanna save some bucks... you can always drop it. moreover, i think non-PS cars are more fun to drive at greater speeds!
NOTE: why don't you take good long test drives of both the models and then decide! i think this is the simplest solution possible.
Old 2nd January 2007, 15:36   #38

Back to Basics

Power Steering was basically introduced for diesel engines because of their heavy weight....due to their weight it was difficult for driver to steer the vehicle........in order to prevent fatigue power steering was introduced.......

Now, the simple rule is if the car has diesel engine always go for power steering and for cars like Wagon R there is no need of going for PS......It is easy to steer......
Old 17th August 2007, 20:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

I drive a wagon R and I am not an experienced driver. If PS was not an option in my car, I would have fitted one myself, because its a difference of day and night driving a car with and without PS in the crowded city. I can recall many number of situations where I avoided a scratch or a real hit just because I could swerve the car with the PS in a limited gap. So defenitely PS is a must for a vehicle like wagon R. Alto and M800 may not require it as much as a wagon R.
Old 18th August 2007, 15:44   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I drive a wagon R and I am not an experienced driver. If PS was not an option in my car, I would have fitted one myself, because its a difference of day and night driving a car with and without PS in the crowded city. I can recall many number of situations where I avoided a scratch or a real hit just because I could swerve the car with the PS in a limited gap. So defenitely PS is a must for a vehicle like wagon R. Alto and M800 may not require it as much as a wagon R.
That's the reason why WagonR LX is having poor resale value compared to LXi !
Old 18th August 2007, 16:49   #41
BHPian

alto and m800 do not require PS!, you mite think that if you don't drive more than 15 or 20 km per day.

i Drive 45 km a day and i need EPS so badly oh god please grant me this wish. maybe a christmas or eid present ( BHPians take note my birthday is soon arriving, grant me this wish )

as for the wagon r its just a joy to turn that steering wheel!
Old 19th August 2007, 12:55   #42
BHPian

I drive a alto 2004Lxi and haven driventhe 800 (1996) and alto lx (2000) extensively i feel that power steering is absolutely necessary even for short drives.
Old 19th August 2007, 15:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

I have owned and driven both M800 & currently drive Wagon R LXi which has PS. Driving with PS is much much easier when compared to Non-PS. Pls go ahead and ask your friend to buy the vehicle with PS. He will not repent for this decision later........
Old 29th August 2007, 13:02   #44
BHPian

The wagon r definetely needs a power stering, but that's my personal view, without powerstering on speeds above 20 kmph it's O.K, but slow speeds and specially while parking the power sterring is a big must.
Old 29th August 2007, 14:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

8 years, 77000 KMS without a power steering on a WagonR.

My experience. You wont miss it if you dont have it, but dont miss it if you are about to have it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks