Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2006, 06:35   #1
BANNED

Is Power Steering needed on WagonR and other small cars?

On of my friends is going to book a new WagonR and he is pretty confused whether to go for a non-PS model like LX or or a PS model like LXi.

Even after having driving both the variants, he is still unable to reach a decision. He is so confused because he had heard from folks that Zen & Alto never needed a PS.

So my question is that does WagonR need a Power Steering ? OR is it just a waste of money to go for the LXi variant ?

Footnote :
My pal is an experienced driver and is drives include both the rural & urban areas.
Old 27th December 2006, 07:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dude, a power steering is always a better option especially if one has to navigate through the crowded streets in India and would reduce driver's fatigue to a great extent. I personally would never say no to a power steering. Why dont you ask your friend to test drive both variants and am sure he would prefer the one with the power steering over the other !
Old 27th December 2006, 07:26   #3
BHPian

I too used to believe that small cars dont really need the PS option.. however I did get an opportunitu to drive PS and non-PS versions of the Alto last week and must say that it helps a lot!

Infact I am thinking of fitting the Alto PS unit to my 5speed M800 MPFI.
Old 27th December 2006, 07:33   #4
BHPian

A "must" Feature!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
On of my friends is going to book a new WagonR and he is pretty confused whether to go for a non-PS model like LX or or a PS model like LXi.

Even after having driving both the variants, he is still unable to reach a decision. He is so confused because he had heard from folks that Zen & Alto never needed a PS.

So my question is that does WagonR need a Power Steering ? OR is it just a waste of money to go for the LXi variant ?

Footnote : My pal is an experienced driver and is drives include both the rural & urban areas.
Go get a PS model dude... its absolutely important as the city gets crowded day by day...!
Old 27th December 2006, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

and it will help during resale time

and if if he is an experienced guy who drove both versions and yet couldn't make his mind then, why waste money, get the non-ps one. If he would be driving within city limits, I would seriously suggest the PS one.

Front wheel drives without ps steering feel tight in low speeds/idle and with ps, steer to steer lock is 2-3 turns unlike the other where you have to turn and turn.

Also EPS wont drain any engine power unlike in other cars.

Last edited by jkdas : 27th December 2006 at 12:50.
Old 27th December 2006, 13:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Your friend is an experienced driver & yet confused about the utility value of a power steering ?? it is not a cosmetic fitment. it is to drive with relative ease. if he feels that this utility is not worth that extra money, let him get a LX, after all, didn't we drive those ambys (read as lorries) without PS for such a long time ?
Old 27th December 2006, 13:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

I bet your friend will not regret for the EPS option. It reduces the driving fatique to a great extend especially while driving in the city and also while reversing.

I mostly use my palm to turn my car at low speeds. The EPS is really worth the extra money.
Old 27th December 2006, 13:46   #8
rks
BANNED

I used to drive a non-PS Maruti 800 (1995 model) before getting my Santro. There is a great difference. The power steering not only makes the car easier to steer in the city and reduces driver fatigue as pointed out by many; it greatly increases the maneuverability of the car, e.g. in tight overtakes or rapid lane changes, whether in city or highway, at low or high speeds. So I believe that especially under Indian road conditions, the power steering is very important. I am very happy with the hydraulic PS in my Santro, but I don't know how it compares with the EPS.
Old 27th December 2006, 14:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

One of my regrets: owning a non-PS WagonR

When I bought the WagonR - the PS variant was not launched as of then. I can tell you from personal experience - driving this car in the city is a pain.

Tell your friend to reverse-parallel-park and he won't take a second to decide thereafter - the norm is to look over the shoulder out of the rear windshield with one hand resting behind the passenger head-rest and use the right hand to maneuver the steering wheel - this is practically impossible on the non-PS W/R.

Having driven most other non-PS small-cars (Zen/Santro/M800 and Alto) I can vouch that none are even close to being as painful as the Wagon-R.

Please note that a lot of factors effect the handling of a car - so the decision being made is not of PS vs. non-PS small-car but of PS vs. non-PS WagonR.
Old 27th December 2006, 14:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
it greatly increases the maneuverability of the car, e.g. in tight overtakes or rapid lane changes, whether in city or highway, at low or high speeds. .
Brother lane changing at slow and moderate speeds is definetly a breeze with a PS but u can't be thinking of a zip-zoom-bam-bam-now im in the left now im in the right-hoho situation on a highway at high speeds it takes some serious skill if you want to be able to do it at high speeds.. But then again, why would you?
Old 27th December 2006, 14:57   #11
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Brother lane changing at slow and moderate speeds is definetly a breeze with a PS but u can't be thinking of a zip-zoom-bam-bam-now im in the left now im in the right-hoho situation on a highway at high speeds it takes some serious skill if you want to be able to do it at high speeds.. But then again, why would you?
I do Pune-Mumbai-Pune every week. Anybody who does that much highway driving in India will tell you that you cannot live without high-speed lane-cutting and overtaking. Or else you can fall in behind slow vehicles and honk away to glory, expecting them to make way for you. Not likely to work. On the highway, I want to keep moving and get from point A to point B in reasonable time. My experience is that with the Santro, as compared to the non-PS Maruti 800, I am much more confident in these tight lane-change-and-overtake situations. Of course, as pointed out, there are other factors too that make Santro a better handler than M 800.
Old 27th December 2006, 15:08   #12
BHPian

I am sure you don't do lane switching at those speeds with more than a few degrees on your steering.. I don't know wat speeds you drive at but with a santro going at 110 plus with zip drive, a sharp tug at the wheel and u are definitely at a risk of losing some amount of steer.. we should get some race drivers to comment on this actually..
Old 27th December 2006, 15:33   #13
BHPian

Power Steering is must. You need them in crowded cities as well as on curvy road ( read hills ).
Old 27th December 2006, 15:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Power Steering is must. You need them in crowded cities as well as on curvy road ( read hills ).
I entirely agree with navdeep and most of you here.
A PS is not an option you should'nt consider anymore. It is a necessity. And a power steering or not does not actually matter in speeds or lane changing on the highway, u need it most in the city in slow traffic and most of all Parking.
Mithun buddy if u were from bombay u would'nt have asked this question. Have you ever tried to park in Bombay? Well its a nightmare. try imagining getting in or out of very tight parking spaces....aha now u wish even the 800 had PS.
Believe me it goes a long way in relieving driving fatigue and once u have it ...ure not gonna touch the non PS car. Its like an automatic. Till u dont drive it, u dont see the logic.
Trust me and all the other fellow who've advised you to go for a PS car....go for the PS version, ull never regret it and it will be money well spent.
Old 27th December 2006, 16:17   #15
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
I am sure you don't do lane switching at those speeds with more than a few degrees on your steering.. I don't know wat speeds you drive at but with a santro going at 110 plus with zip drive, a sharp tug at the wheel and u are definitely at a risk of losing some amount of steer..
I generally do 120-140 kph on the Expressway and very rarely exceed 110 kmph elsewhere on the Pune-Mumbai route. What you are talking about is understeer, which may happen in a front-wheel drive vehicle if you approach curves too fast or seriously misjudge a lane-changing maneuver. It does not happen in my Santro under the kind of usual lane-cutting and overtaking maneuvers that I am talking about. I have found the Santro's response to steering inputs at these high speeds in dry conditions to be instant and precise, and this gives me confidence -- the PS plays an important role here. Not so on the M800, which at speeds in excess of 110 kmph gave me a feeling that I was sliding out of control even on slightly curving or bumpy roads. But the 1995 model M800 I am talking about did not have radial tyres in addition to PS.

Most Viewed