Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2006, 09:12   #1
BHPian

Indica V2 DLS - Coolant loss

Hi Auto Gurus,

I am a newbie to TBHP and am already in love with it. I'm just back from my overseas assignment. I've been following various forums and threads regularly now. I've searched all the forums/threads before posting this one. Pardon me if i have missed something.

I need your help on this one...

My Indica (V2 DLS 2003 model) has started showing signs of aging! 3 months back we faced a peculiar problem. After few long trips (Mumbai-Pune couple of times), the coolant level went down. To the extent that i had to top it up with 1-1.5 lit. of water. I could also see the engine heating a little bit with the temp. gauge going beyond 75%, just short of danger mark. We checked everything from the Fan to any leakages in cooling system, but nothing. There were no "visible" signs of leakages (like no leakages seen under the car, after accelerating).

I stay in Chembur, so i went to Wasan. As per me Wasan is worst when it comes to servicing, with their "I dont care" attitude (atleast for the Tata section..no idea about Ford). Wasan gave me appointment which was like 1 year later! Since the problem was acute, i went to Fortune, Nerul. Fortune guys are nice and they really care. They checked everything and found that the coolant pump (or some pump in the cooling system) was leaking slightly. So they replaced it with a new one and checked the pressure in the cooling system. There was no pressure loss. After that there was not much of a problem (may be because we did not do any long trips). My dad again went for a long trip last month....and the problem re-appeared.

I have absolutely no idea what is causing this problem! Is it engine overheating or something? Or the coolant is happy to just disappear in thin air! I am going to Fortune again today...

I would appreciate any leads on this as i dont want to spend all my vacation chasing the service center!

Ciao,
Ajay
Old 27th December 2006, 10:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

The problem is evaporation. Ask them to check the rubber joint which connects the coolant resevoir to the system. That joint has tendency to develop micro leak due to which evaporation takes place. Its an often overlooked fault.
Old 28th December 2006, 00:39   #3
BHPian

Thanks TSK for the hint. I will ask the Forture guys to check or better replace the rubber part.
Old 28th December 2006, 19:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey ajay.. in worse case scenario there could be a problem with ur cylinder head/gasket, does the car smoke more than normal on hard revving in neutral? also check if there is any coolant mixed with the engine oil.. this u can do by checking the oil dipstick.. if so then there is leakage from the cylinder head, causing the coolant level to go down.. how many kms has the car done?

Regards,
Mav.
Old 29th December 2006, 07:41   #5
BHPian

Hey Mav. Fortunately my car doesnt spew black smoke! It has done almost 32,000 Kms. I got my car back from Fortune...they said there was a leakage in cooling system somewhere

Hope that they are right now!

PS: Fortune guys also flushed the engine with some additive and added new engine oil + additive (as i had to change the engine oil anyway). I dont know if its really beneficial or just a trick from the DW's to extract money!
Old 22nd March 2007, 20:25   #6
BHPian

Components changed to plug the leak:

1. Pump in the coolinng system changed, as a minor leak was found.
2. Rubber hose between radiator and engine replaced.

Problem solved.
Old 19th August 2019, 09:43   #7
BHPian

Re: Indica V2 DLS - Coolant loss

Hi All

Good Day

This is with reference to the below discussion on how to fix coolant leak in tata indica v2.
My brother-in-law's indica had a similar problem after we got the engine rebuilt at 166000 km.
When my FNG mechanic rebuilt the engine , proactively he had also replaced the radiator as the one which had come with the car had been damaged as the fins were swollen due to constant heat.
After the replacement of the radiator (He had got a seconds one from the radiator repair shop)it ran fine for about 2500 km and then started the leakage again. upon close inspection it was found that the screw which held the ac condenser was longer than the actual size which was touching the bottom of the radiator and due to the vibrations when the vehicle was running it puncher-ed one of the joints of the radiator which lead to a leakage. Replaced the screws, fixed the radiator and the same is running fine now.
Though a little unusual, thought of sharing the same as this can also lead to leakages.

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
sushil_n79 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed