Team-BHP > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2019, 18:25   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
As there aren't many examples of M Sport install in a GT in India, I would say take the leap of faith. It will not disappoint

Dear @graaja,
Thanks for your answers and your inputs. I decided to go ahead with m-sport suspension. BMW took some time and arranged the parts. Dropped my car at the service station today. They shall take 3 days to fix the new suspension.

Thank you!
aseemsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:02   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,431
Thanked: 12,269 Times
Default Re: Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
Dear @graaja,
Thanks for your answers and your inputs. I decided to go ahead with m-sport suspension. BMW took some time and arranged the parts. Dropped my car at the service station today. They shall take 3 days to fix the new suspension.

Thank you!
That is great news! Please share your experience on ride and comfort with the M Sport suspensions once it is complete. Hope the suspensions live up to your expectations

Recently I finished a road trip to Goa and totally enjoyed the way the car handled on highways at cruising speeds an also in the ghat roads of Chorala ghats.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:02   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is great news! Please share your experience on ride and comfort with the M Sport suspensions once it is complete. Hope the suspensions live up to your expectations
Sorry for the delay in update. Delay because I had lots of work and also disappointed because the service station returned my car without replacement.

Before giving my car for the replacement of suspension, BMW service station confirmed that they had received all parts. But after receiving my car, they counted the parts to realise that they were short. So they returned my car on the second day. They apologised for the goof-up and placed an order. Parts will come from Germany and may take around 20+ days.

I shall update when I hear from them. Thanks!
aseemsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 07:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,431
Thanked: 12,269 Times
Default Re: Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
But after receiving my car, they counted the parts to realise that they were short....
Oh. That is bad. As this is a non-standard install for them, there is always the possibility of this happening. Hope they get all the parts this time and successfully install the suspensions. Looking forward to your update
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 18:46   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Oh. That is bad. As this is a non-standard install for them, there is always the possibility of this happening. Hope they get all the parts this time and successfully install the suspensions. Looking forward to your update
Got a call from Service Station last week that all parts have arrived. This time they checked the parts thoroughly before calling. I dropped off my car at the service station on Thursday evening. Today morning (i.e. Tuesday) my car was ready and I picked it up.

Took a test drive before picking up my car. Due to work commitments, I am unable to take the car for a long drive today.

Initial reactions basis a 10km drive:
1) Pitching is definitely a lot lesser. Practically non-existent. This was my biggest concern with the softer suspensions earlier.
2) Body roll also seems better but I shall check this again over a longer drive.
3) For some reason, I felt as if the steering is tighter now. But this could be because I had been driving my Altis (with very light steering) over the last 5 days. I double checked with the engineering team at BMW if they touched the steering and they confirmed that nothing was done to the steering.
4) With earlier suspension, the car use to glide (super smooth) over small bumps and small speed breakers at low speeds (1-20 kmph). With the new one its not as smooth but its comfortable.

I shall explore more over the next few days as soon as I complete my work and have time for a longer drive.

BIG THANKS to @graaja for his detailed posts and answering all my questions with speed and interest. I could not have gone ahead with this decision without his inputs. Thank you again!
aseemsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 06:51   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,431
Thanked: 12,269 Times
Default Re: Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
Got a call from Service Station last week that all parts have arrived. This time they checked the parts thoroughly before calling. I dropped off my car at the service station on Thursday evening. Today morning (i.e. Tuesday) my car was ready and I picked it up.
That is awesome news. Congratualtions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
Initial reactions basis a 10km drive:
1) Pitching is definitely a lot lesser. Practically non-existent. This was my biggest concern with the softer suspensions earlier.
2) Body roll also seems better but I shall check this again over a longer drive.
3) For some reason, I felt as if the steering is tighter now. But this could be because I had been driving my Altis (with very light steering) over the last 5 days. I double checked with the engineering team at BMW if they touched the steering and they confirmed that nothing was done to the steering.
4) With earlier suspension, the car use to glide (super smooth) over small bumps and small speed breakers at low speeds (1-20 kmph). With the new one its not as smooth but its comfortable.
The biggest advantage I felt with this suspension was how the pitching and rolling got corrected at the same time not compromising comfort levels. You will feel the improvement in handling when you take it in the corners. BMW should give this suspension as standard at least in the M Sport versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
BIG THANKS to @graaja for his detailed posts and answering all my questions with speed and interest. I could not have gone ahead with this decision without his inputs. Thank you again!
You are most welcome. I am very glad that my inputs were useful to get your upgrade completed.
graaja is online now  
Old 11th March 2019, 11:48   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT

Update on driving experience with the new m-sport suspension.

GOOD THINGS:
1) Wife and kids do not find anything different. This is very important because I was worried that they may find the ride stiffer and therefore not comfortable. Though ride is definitely stiffer, happy that they can't make out the difference.

2) While driving I feel much more in control and confident thanks to no-pitching.

BAD THINGS:

1) On concrete roads the ride is not as smooth (not a deal breaker but bumpier). I can't figure out why but maybe concrete roads have small, hard uneven patches because of the way they are made.

2) At slow speeds, on broken roads, you can hear a thud when the car goes over a badly broken road and its jerky. In long run such jerks may lead to noises, from smaller moving/ non moving plastics parts, inside the cabin.

@graaja: have you driven your car on concrete roads? How was your experience?

Overall, I think BMW should offer 330i GT with adaptive dampers. That will be the best of both worlds.
aseemsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 11:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 2,431
Thanked: 12,269 Times
Default Re: Installed: M-Sport Suspension in my BMW 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
@graaja: have you driven your car on concrete roads? How was your experience?

Overall, I think BMW should offer 330i GT with adaptive dampers. That will be the best of both worlds.
Yes. On concrete roads, the ride is not smooth at all. But my understanding is that this is true for all cars even with tubeless tires. This has to do with the way concrete roads are constructed. Their surface is never smooth and there is more than usual road noise and bumpiness.

Yes. Adaptive dampers would be fantastic on the GT. But BMW offers adaptive dampers only on 5 series and above, X3 and above. Maybe a few years down the line, this can be a very good DIY project upgrading the dampers to adaptive
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks