Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2018, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Blurry windshield: Problem with the windshield or wiper?

Hello folks,

Recently in the rains I've started noticing that the windshield of my 3 year old XUV500 has started looking blurry while the wipers are on. See the image below:

Blurry windshield: Problem with the windshield or wiper?-img_20180709_194946.jpg

Defogging doesn't seem to work. But after a while, if I switch off the wipers, it goes off on it's own.

Not sure if it's a problem with the windshield or with the wipers. Please advise since this is creating issues while driving at night.

Thanks much!
Old 13th July 2018, 15:06   #2
BHPian

re: Blurry windshield: Problem with the windshield or wiper?

There may be some oily film on the windshield, so try washing it off with a good windshield cleaner. If the wiper blades are old (which means from last monsoon season ) then that could also be the reason.

Lastly, if you keep your climate control around 27 deg C (but trial & error for higher or lower temp would help) in Mumbai it will avoid condensation both on the inside/outside.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 15:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

A very little known fact (although there is no guarantee that it is the solution in your case) is that one needs to change the windshield wipers on their car every rainy season that means once a year! The rubber becomes hard, develops cracks and imperfections, leaving streaks on the windshield. Now as for your windshield itself, you mean to say that warm air from the vents above the dash is not helping? Have you tried properly cleaning it?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th July 2018 at 15:10.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 16:25   #4
BHPian

Not tried cleaning it. Will try that. And yes, the wipers are 3 years old
Old 13th July 2018, 16:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Not tried cleaning it. Will try that. And yes, the wipers are 3 years old
Wipers may be an additional factor. However, from the picture posted above, it looks due to oily windshield. Do clean with any solution available, it should help you to a great extent.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 16:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Not sure if it's a problem with the windshield or with the wipers. Please advise since this is creating issues while driving at night.
Dirty windshield - simply clean it and get new wipers. I had a similar issue in my car which was rectified with good cleaning at the local garage and new wipers.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 17:33   #7
BHPian

From what I am enduring myself, the cause may not be the wiper age or oily deposits or temp settings. I am yet to figure out the reason.

The mist/haze just settles on the windscreen and operating the wiper worsens the visibility till the rain alone cleans it. Its same with rear windscreen too.
Few of my pals have reported the same experience on there 5 to 7 years old vehicle(jazz,fiesta). some even halted there journey till the daybreak.

I also experience same issue during day time moderate to heavy rain. The best option in this kind of situation is to operate the wiper far less often as possible.

I have tried everything from alcohol, vinegar to all desi and videsi bottled stuff. Only solution I feel is to get the glass polished.
Old 13th July 2018, 18:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

If defogger (de-misting) doesn't work, the misting should be on the outer side. Do you use windshield spray to clean? Could the windshield fluid be culprit?

Do you drive with the AC on? If oil or sticky substance on the windshield is ruled out, could the reason be due to a leak (between the dash and windshield) resulting in cold air (inside the car) escaping and getting misted on the windshield?

Last edited by vrprabhu : 13th July 2018 at 18:55. Reason: made it brief
Old 13th July 2018, 19:02   #9
BHPian

I have this problem every year on my sx4. After trying almost all known cleaners, I found that a wipe with a clean wet cloth using CIF cleaner, followed by copious rinsing, does the trick. Wipe the glass, as well as the wiper blades. Maintain it with a cloth soaked in pure surf excel liquid, which I keep in a zip lock bag in the car. Use this second cloth to wipe your glass on the outside every other day. Rinse well.
The cause is traffic grime and waxy residues from car polish.

Last edited by filcord : 13th July 2018 at 19:03.
Old 13th July 2018, 21:59   #10
BHPian

Do you add dishwasher to the windshield washer?
it may be a culprit too if its too much.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You need to get your windshield polished. Call SoniMax- they will come to your doorstep to do it - *9820206571‬
Should cost around 1500
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 10:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar issue with my car and realized that there were some hard water stains on the windshield. This looks similar to me. The wipers would wipe but the haziness remained.

Try taking half a lemon and rubbing the juice on a small area (Test a 6 inch x 6 Inch area) of the windshield to see if that is indeed your problem. Rub in the lemon juice and let it stand for a bit, then rub again.

If the problem reduces in that area, do the entire windshield / get a hard water stain cleaner and clean the windshield.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 14th July 2018 at 10:06.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 19:37   #13

Re: Blurry windshield: Problem with the windshield or wiper?

I cut a potato, apply water to the glass and rub the potato across the windshield. It works like a charm, although a jugaad!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th October 2023 at 19:54. Reason: Post formatting
sanoronha63 is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks