Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2018, 22:14   #16
BHPian

Re: My diesel car's exhaust smells like burning rubber!

After almost a week with fresh diesel, car feels a lot better now. There is a noticeable improvement in engine smoothness and noise. So I can now confirm that the old fuel was contaminated.

But the burning smell is still present ever after two refuels.

Will the use of diesel additives make the exhaust smell burnt?
Old 6th August 2018, 22:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I am experiencing this with my car recently. The exhaust of my A3 TDI smells like burning rubber. The smell starts from few minutes after I start the car and is present throughout till I switch off the engine. The smell is present even if the engine is hot or cold. I'm sure the smell is coming from the exhaust itself and not from any other parts of the car.

Does anyone face similar issue in your diesel car? What could be the reason for this? Please give your expert opinions.

Note to Mods: I couldn't find any thread on this issue. Please merge if any thread exists already. Thank you.

I have small question for you,

What is mode (Fresh air / re-circulation) of your climate control system when you get this smell ?

There are few cases have been reported (Don't want to disclose the name of company) that people are getting foul smell while setting in car. When diagnosed, found that actually the smell was coming from wheel arch liners and it is getting into the cabin through HVAC unit.

I hope this information would help you on to investigate the root cause of problem.
Old 6th August 2018, 23:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay386 View Post
What is mode (Fresh air / re-circulation) of your climate control system when you get this smell ?
There is no smell coming inside the car. I am talking about the smell of exhaust outside.
Old 2nd September 2023, 23:46   #19
BHPian

The thread has been inactive for a long time.
But I've been facing the same issue for my 2016 vento. Not sure if it smells like a burning rubber, but sure something is smelly. It has been so for the past few years. But recently I have come to the conviction that this smell is avoidable.
Any leads on the root cause ?

The SAs usually brush off saying that this smell is normal.
Old 4th September 2023, 18:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

a sulpher-type smell from exhaust happens most likely due to catalytic converter getting blocked or choked. Do check that up.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks