Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2018, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor Error

I use a Bolero-SLX 2013 model from December 2015. Currently ODO reading is 76000 km after 4 years and 6 months. For last couple of months, I am facing a dangerous issue in my vehicle. The RPM is increasing/decreasing without any use of accelerator during the halt time. It is more dangerous when it is malfunctioning on the go. This morning I just got lucky - escaped after facing sudden RPM fall while I was overtaking a bus. After facing the same issue, I contacted the service center, but the problem was not recreating. They did not take any action and told me to report the issue if I face it again. The behavior is so irregular that whenever I face the issue, I try to reach the service center to show it, but unfortunately, I could not show them the issue. Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor is a very basic thing of a vehicle and how can someone expect that it will malfunction after such low running (76K only) of an SUV. I am not sure about the price of the sensor, but whatever it is, why shall I change such basic things after such a short run of the vehicle?

I do make many road trips every year, considering that Bolero seems to be a very reliable vehicle. These type of issues with the basic primary component is extremely pathetic and disappointing to any Mahindra Vehicle owner.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2018 at 17:21. Reason: Typos
PointZero is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 15:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra Bolero: Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor Error

Did the dealership atleast run a scan to see if there is any error recorded in the ECU? Random malfunctions are always difficult to diagnose but error codes are a good place to start with on an ECU based engine. Do prompt them to try this, if not done already.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 16:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
[b]
The RPM is increasing/decreasing without any use of accelerator during the halt time.
I had similar problem in Santro some time back. I did the following test and found the spring that pulls the accelerator wire back to normal had lost tension. Hence, when the accelerator is depressed, the RPM used to get stuck at Higher level.

Just to eliminate the above is NOT in your case, please try out the response of the car for the scenarios mentioned below:

1. In the Morning, start the car without ANY input to the accelerator. What is the RPM?

2. Get onto First Gear, start pressing the accelerator and release clutch (Now, RPM definitely increases). Now, to change to second gear, press the Clutch Pedal and observe. Will the RPM come back to idling RPM (normal ) OR will it be in raised condition?

3. Put the gear to second. Do not press the accelerator. Allow the car to go in the same RPM. RPM reduces since it is gear is under load now. After a certain distance, press the clutch again. Now observe the RPM. Has it reduced ? or is it still the same High RPM?

4. Go at the normal speed 50 KMPH. Now, stop pressing the accelerator. DONOT press the clutch till the car comes to almost HALT and vibrates due to engaged gear. Now, press the clutch and check the RPM. is it normal idling RPM OR raised RPM?

With these tests, probably, you will be able to identify if the issue is mechanical(Something stuck) or error in the ECU Programming
gkveda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 16:23   #4
BHPian

This is something which I heard from two bolero owners and barely know a handful of them. Each of suffered weirdly within 3 years of operation. Mahindra should actually think of inspecting the product since its a vital thing for a vehicle and if required initiate a product recall.

The kind of symptoms it is associated with may be easily mistaken to be issues with fuel pump, injector issues in absence of scanner or trained mechanics.
dip27in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 16:23   #5
BHPian

This is the error I am getting in my OBD tool. Talked thrice with the service center. They are suggesting to change the sensor and keep in observation. But it happened two times in last three months and very hard to recreate.

Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor Error-obd_error.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did the dealership atleast run a scan to see if there is any error recorded in the ECU? Random malfunctions are always difficult to diagnose but error codes are a good place to start with on an ECU based engine. Do prompt them to try this, if not done already.
Old 21st July 2018, 11:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

See if there is any relay in the sensor and replace same and check.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 11:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the error I am getting in my OBD tool. Talked thrice with the service center. They are suggesting to change the sensor and keep in observation. But it happened two times in last three months and very hard to recreate.
Attachment 1782564
This is a serious issue which needs immediate attention. The throttle pedal sensor (which usually comes as part of the throttle pedal itself in drive by wire system) needs replacement. Get it replaced at the earliest.

A faulty sensor sending wrong signals to the ECU will result in - vehicle accelerating unintentionally, or vehicle not accelerating at all to pedal input, or the engine decelerating unintentionally (as you already experienced as mentioned in your opening post).

Lackadaisical approach on this serious issue by the authorised dealer is truly baffling!
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 23:50   #8
BHPian

Got a call from Mahindra .. as it is hard to reproduce they will try some trial and error method and keep in observation from Monday. Will update for any details.

Thanks -
Point Zero
Old 22nd July 2018, 17:23   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Bolero: Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor Error

Quote:
The behavior is so irregular that whenever I face the issue, I try to reach the service center to show it, but unfortunately, I could not show them the issue.
Quote:
as it is hard to reproduce
In cases like these, it's best to record it via a video on your smartphone.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 13:35   #10
BHPian

I just received a call from Service Advisor that he found many issues and which may cost around 31000/-. As there is nothing related to driving behavior and the vehicle is malfunctioning only after 75000 KM, its a manufacturing issue. In between I come to know from other Bolero owners that they have faced the same issue even after 30000 KM of the vehicle. Whatever component Bidyadhar noted are very basic components of vehicle and malfunctioning is such component is dangerous and accident prone. I am requesting you to draw attention of Mahindra and take care of the things and I will not pay the cost.

2ndly why are they going to change so many things after such a short run of vehicle. Did not you pin point the main issue ? I am grateful that they did not asked me to change the car and tell me that 75000 enough for a Mahindra vehicle.
Old 6th September 2018, 18:05   #11
BHPian

Formal Update:

Mahindra took 10 days as the wiring were not available in Kolkata. On 8th Aug they delivered my car after changing the complete wiring and accelerator pedal with the position sensor. I am not aware about the actual cost of the parts or labor. Mahindra has taken care the complete job without any charge. I was facing a abnormal noise on starting the blower and the relay set has been replaced after 1 week.

After that its around 1000KM+ and did not find any major issue till now.

Regards -
PointZero
PointZero is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 18:40   #12

P0122 Trouble Code OBD 2 - Hyundai i10 1.1

Hi guys, I hope you're doing well!

I have been noticing that the fuel economy of my car as been pretty awful for the last 6 months. I was blaming the Delhi's traffic, but during winters when I wasn't even using AC the fuel economy dropped even more. And I noticed the acceleration to be lack luster and it would suddenly surge at times. Please bear in mind that I am a light footed driver. I don't do spirited driving at all.

So, I decided to scan my car with an OBD 2 scanner and used it with Torque app and it gave me this error code:

P0122 : Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch (TPS) A Circuit Low Input

I took my car to Gomechanic, and they said that the spark plug wire set was short, and the engine was misfiring. So they have changed the spark plugs as as well as the wire set assy. I took the car and scanned it again, it's still showing the same error code. I called them and they said that scan tools may not be accurate all the time, but I can visit the workshop and they'll check the TPS body and do the tuning if required. They didn't really seem to be very bothered about this code.

What should I do in this situation if they try to ignore this error code again? Should I live with this or get it sorted from elsewhere?

P.S My car has clocked 35,000 Kms.

Clutch is a bit hard. Also, when I shift gears for example from third to second, the rpm surges by 500 when the clutch is pressed and isn't released.
Old 21st February 2020, 22:13   #13
OSH
BHPian

Re: P0122 Trouble Code OBD 2 - Hyundai i10 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWLN View Post
I took my car to Gomechanic, and they said that the spark plug wire set was short, and the engine was misfiring. So they have changed the spark plugs as as well as the wire set assy. I took the car and scanned it again, it's still showing the same error code.
I am not aware of how these things work in Hyundai cars but most of the times, the fault code needs to be erased after the problem has been rectified. The basic OBD reader apps will not be able to do that. Your service center or FNG will have the OEM specific diagnostic tool to do the same.

BTW how did they come to the conclusion that the spark plugs and other wires were the culprit when the code clearly stated a TPS fault ? The engine misfire should have registered its own fault and even a warning light on the dash, did that happen ? Has the problem of low FE been resolved or is it still there after the repairs ?

Last edited by OSH : 21st February 2020 at 22:20.
Old 16th March 2020, 21:15   #14

Re: P0122 Trouble Code OBD 2 - Hyundai i10 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
I am not aware of how these things work in Hyundai cars but most of the times, the fault code needs to be erased after the problem has been rectified. The basic OBD reader apps will not be able to do that. Your service center or FNG will have the OEM specific diagnostic tool to do the same.

BTW how did they come to the conclusion that the spark plugs and other wires were the culprit when the code clearly stated a TPS fault ? The engine misfire should have registered its own fault and even a warning light on the dash, did that happen ? Has the problem of low FE been resolved or is it still there after the repairs ?
Hi! Thanks for the reply.

The fuel economy seems to have improved a bit, I am getting around 11.7 kmpl, in city without AC. Bumper to bumper traffic and mixed situations. And the engine idles between 700-800 RPMs, but upon ignitions it goes up to 2500 RPMs on cold start, and 2000 RPMs after it has been driven for a while.

I cleared the error code, and the car was actually quite peppy for about a week. I can feel the lag again. Even when I am driving alone without any luggage, it feels like the car is under heavy load, it's giving a new error code now.

P0616 Starter Relay Circuit Low

This is getting quite irritating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks