Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2018, 20:06   #1
BHPian

Advice on getting steel bumpers for my Mahindra Scorpio

Before i start my discussion, a request to MODS -- Please excuse me if I posted this topic under incorrect category. In that case, please move it to the correct one.

I own a 2017 Model Mahindra Scoprio S4+ 4WD. Overall the experience has been good with this beast. However, I feel the stock bumpers (front and reat) are bit flimsy for this beast of the car. With ban on bull bars they are more prone to damage.

So, I am thinking of replacing them with steel bumpers. For this I am looking for guidance from experts. My initial queries are:
  • Are steel bumpers legal (refer ban on bull bars)
  • Will steel bumpers hinder the operation of Air Bags in an unforeseen scenario of frontal crash. To best of my knowledge the Crash or Air Bag Sensors are located in the bumpers (not sure how technically correct this information is)
  • Would the steel bumpers put any additional stress on the chasis/body thus causing long term damage
  • Tentatively, how much weight would be added to the Scorpio
  • Any effect on fuel efficiency due to additional weight
  • Shape: I would prefer the shape to be as close to the stock ones
  • Any recommendation for car modifier in Delhi NCR region.
  • Tentative cost of the project
Thanks a lot for all your help and support.
Old 27th July 2018, 05:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on getting steel bumpers for my Mahindra Scorpio

The stock bumpers are set up so that your airbag sensors will deploy on a severe impact. And they’re ideally tested for how they save your life in a crash.

And they aren’t Maruti or Honda level flimsy in any case.

Bullbars wont let that happen and nor will third party bumpers.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 07:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchandap View Post
So, I am thinking of replacing them with steel bumpers.
The bumpers are called so because they have a cushioning effect in minor bumps. They will spring back to shape after minor impacts. Permanent deformations can also be easily repaired in your FNG. So, there is a reason why it is not made of steel. Besides protecting your own vehicle, they also do a job of reducing damage to the other vehicle, object or pedestrian in low speed impacts. A steel bumper can transfer all the forces to the occupants, and even a bump at 15 to 20 kmph can be quite nasty.

Besides that, the airbag sensors may not get activated as you rightly fear.

If you are ONLY going to use the vehicle off road, then you may consider steel bumpers. Off roading steel bumpers are available. I am not sure if you have one specific to the Scorpio. You may have to modify it slightly to fit the Scorpio.

Last edited by SCORPION : 27th July 2018 at 07:24.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 09:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Are steel bumpers legal (refer ban on bull bars)
Legally speaking any modification done on the car must be endorsed in the RC

Will steel bumpers hinder the operation of Air Bags in an unforeseen scenario of frontal crash. To best of my knowledge the Crash or Air Bag Sensors are located in the bumpers (not sure how technically correct this information is)
Definitely yes. In all probable cases, Airbags will not deploy at all because the force needed to deploy it may not be transferred to the sensors behind the front bumper. The rigid steel bumper will transfer more force to the passenger cabin in case of a collision and cause more damage. Also with the rigid steel bumper, you'll surely kill the occupants in the other car or a person or the animal whatever you hit. Bumpers are designed to absorb impact by deforming so that it saves the lives of people. It's sad that when people are talking about external bonnet airbags, you are going back in time

Would the steel bumpers put any additional stress on the chasis/body thus causing long term damage.
On a very long term it will

Tentatively, how much weight would be added to the Scorpio
depends on how thick a sheet you'll use.

Any effect on fuel efficiency due to additional weight
FE will reduce as per simple science

Shape: I would prefer the shape to be as close to the stock ones
That'll need some serious skills

To put it simply...DON'T DO IT unless you will use it only for off roading

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 27th July 2018 at 09:46.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 09:42   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't get steel bumpers due to the reasons listed above. Also note that:

- It will cause pedestrians a lot more harm if & when you happen to get into a crash with one.

- You'll be adding excessive weight to your car. Not only for the bumper, but even to beef up the mounting brackets & area.

- Your current bumpers absorb 'shock'. If you get metal bumpers, that will be transferred to the body of the vehicle.

I know the advantage of metal bumpers as one of my cars (Mahindra Classic) has them. But the disadvantages far outweigh them.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 10:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are steel bumpers legal (refer ban on bull bars)
Technically they are illegal.

Quote:
Will steel bumpers hinder the operation of Air Bags in an unforeseen scenario of frontal crash. To best of my knowledge the Crash or Air Bag Sensors are located in the bumpers (not sure how technically correct this information is)
Only few imported bumpers work with the airbag sensors and they are not available for Scorpio as far as I know. Don't get steel bumpers unless you do frequent off roading.

Quote:
Would the steel bumpers put any additional stress on the chasis/body thus causing long term damage.
Yes, You may have early shocks wear out.

Quote:
Any recommendation for car modifier in Delhi NCR region.
Classic Motors in Noida is the best workshop for such modification.

Quote:
Tentative cost of the project
Approximately 20-30K per bumper.

Last edited by GTO : 27th July 2018 at 14:52. Reason: Please use QUOTE the right way
Old 27th July 2018, 10:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, I am thinking of replacing them with steel bumpers. For this I am looking for guidance from experts. My initial queries are.
I would advise you to drop the idea. Apart from the reasons listed above, you will be just giving M&M a ready made excuse to deny any warranty claim, even if it is not remotely related to your modification.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 13:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a 2017 Model Mahindra Scoprio S4+ 4WD. Overall the experience has been good with this beast. However, I feel the stock bumpers (front and reat) are bit flimsy for this beast of the car. With ban on bull bars they are more prone to damage.

So, I am thinking of replacing them with steel bumpers.
Now that we have established that it's not advisable to replace the bumpers, you have 3 options.
1) Leave it as it is.
2) Get PPF done for the bumpers. It will minimise surface damage.
3) Get them chromed. You will get the look of steel bumpers, without compromising on safety and warranty.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 13:02   #9
BHPian

Hi
What you can do is that you can install corner guards on the bumper like the one shown below.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on getting steel bumpers for my Mahindra Scorpio-d0c2758894e64af7b72e944ab3e0f8de.png  

Old 28th July 2018, 14:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. However, I feel the stock bumpers (front and reat) are bit flimsy for this beast of the car. With ban on bull bars they are more prone to damage.
How do you think can they be damaged and under what circumstances will they be flimsy?
Old 28th July 2018, 15:32   #11
BHPian

I have a related query. I own a TUV 300 and the gap between the bumper and radiator is too less. Needless to say, being a sub 4m car, the bumpers, by design does not provide much buffer. It appears that even a minor frontal impact can easily leave me stranded with a busted radiator. I would like to know if it is possible to fit a metal bar/beam in between the bumper and radiator to somewhat protect the later. Will not consider if the cons are same as fitting a bull bar.

Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 18:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
I have a related query. I own a TUV 300 and the gap between the bumper and radiator is too less. Needless to say, being a sub 4m car, the bumpers, by design does not provide much buffer. It appears that even a minor frontal impact can easily leave me stranded with a busted radiator. I would like to know if it is possible to fit a metal bar/beam in between the bumper and radiator to somewhat protect the later. Will not consider if the cons are same as fitting a bull bar.

Thanks
While trying to gather more data / information about this topic, I came upon quite a few threads and I am listing some of those below -

On Bumper Reinforcement -

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/bumper-reinforcement

On the types of re-inforcements available.Not all may be available here though,but you can get an idea..

https://rts.i-car.com/collision-repa...orcements.html

Some examples of front and rear bumper re-inforcements / replacements
available.

https://www.carid.com/bumper-reinforcements.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by TheStranger : 28th July 2018 at 18:51. Reason: Punctuation
TheStranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 20:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Its not a good idea to have steel bumpers. Friends have already discussed the demerits here. I wish to add that the OE bumpers are good enough to absorb impacts at low speeds 5 kmph or even upto 7 kmph, without much adverse effect on the ladder frame chassis or body shell of your SUV.
Old 29th July 2018, 12:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Offroad bumpers are a big thing now. When you offroad and need to have solid front end protection use metal bumpers. A well thought out design for a Scorpio bumper looks awesome.

Check out the safari with the bumpers.
Advice on getting steel bumpers for my Mahindra Scorpio-whatsapp-image-20180717-10.28.22-am.jpeg

HOWEVER:
if your car is primarily for road use, then for reasons stated above please avoid offroad bumpers.

Last edited by dhanushs : 29th July 2018 at 12:24.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2018, 14:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How do you think can they be damaged and under what circumstances will they be flimsy?

Well had a not so good experience. While overtaking me, a car severed to its left to avoid oncoming truck. And that too on a busy residential road .

As a result the car bumped into the driver side of my Scorpio, dislodging the bumper from its lock. Luckily, the locks were intact and I was able to put the bumper back. Still it resulted in scratches and deformity to the edge of bumper.

Thanks for all the expert advice. Based on that, I would drop the idea of getting steel bumpers.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2018 at 08:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks