Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2008, 18:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

Better Looks mainly and better tyres too.

Your stock 13" cannot take 14" tyres so if you do go for 14", you need Alloys.
Thanks IR
hmm so no change in performance, fe etc ? If no, are the same tyres available in 13's? Because if it doesnt really make a difference then no point upsizing (if the tyres are available in 13's)
Old 26th June 2008, 18:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks IR
hmm so no change in performance, fe etc ? If no, are the same tyres available in 13's? Because if it doesnt really make a difference then no point upsizing (if the tyres are available in 13's)
A little diference with the 14s. Due to the lower profile tyres you would notice a slight difference in handling(on the better side.) Anyways the Ikon does not need handling inprovement does it!
Old 26th June 2008, 18:55   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
A little diference with the 14s. Due to the lower profile tyres you would notice a slight difference in handling(on the better side.) Anyways the Ikon does not need handling inprovement does it!
heh heh thats true. Love the handling as it is. IF i get the tyres Ishan mentioned will stick to 13's
Old 29th June 2008, 22:02   #64
BHPian

I'm facing issues with my Ikon 1.6. I had given the car for servicing in MPL Ford - Chennai and received the car after service. My friend who took the delivery drove the car without A/C on and reached our place. After a gap of 3 days it took the car and switched on A/C and the Car started to behave wrong! The RPM needle floats from 500 - 900RPM and the car starts knocking. When i turn the A/C off, the issue disappears. While changing gears we can feel the knock. Has anybody faced this issue?

I'm planning to sell of my Ikon, in last service they (FORD) charged me 22K and now for this service they had charged 12K. Its getting heavy on pocket. It has clocked 55K on the Odo.
Old 29th June 2008, 22:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

OK my part of the story... Ive got both my axles done. Replaced. So thats done. Now its time to change ball joint and lower arms...so say the mech. Yea HEAVY ON MAINTAINENCE.

So far if i recollect right... This is the how ive spent almost a LAkh in one year on this car.

1) Ignition coil Cable - 6000/-
2) Insurance - 13000/-
3) Suspension Shocks- 8000/-
4) Axles - 8000/-
5) Clutch assembly- 10000/-
6) Renew insurance - 13000/-
7) A/c faulty - 3000/-
8) Tires and alloys - 18000/-
9) Accident - Not covered 8000/-
10) Now Lower arm and ball joint 12000/-
=99000/-

Not counting the others like oil,services etc. Ohh and fuel bills.

And yea ive shifted from 13's to 14s on the ikon. Makes a noticeable difference to the cars handling charateristics.
Old 29th June 2008, 23:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
You sure you got both alloys and tires for 18k?

Also, even i have the problem with the axles that you had. Scared to take a full left or right with the car coz im fed up listening to the tak tak noise from the axles.

I was planning to mod the car but now scared to do so considering the cost involved for just the maintenance. I anyways wont be using the car for more than a year. Is it ok to carry on with the current situation with the axles for another year or is that timeline too far away?

At danny: what you have spent on the car is nothing compared to what i have spent on it over the last one year and the frequent tension and headache associated with it.

Just looking forward to using it for another year and selling it for a new one. Hope it does not give me more trouble.

Cheers
Sanju
Old 29th June 2008, 23:41   #67
Team-BHP Support

@danlalan: all these are bills at Ford A.S.S?
Old 30th June 2008, 12:11   #68
BHPian

how come some Fords have somuch problems and some dont have any?
@Danlalan, man.. thats a hefty bill you have put up.
Old 30th June 2008, 15:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK my part of the story... Ive got both my axles done. Replaced. So thats done. Now its time to change ball joint and lower arms...so say the mech. Yea HEAVY ON MAINTAINENCE.

So far if i recollect right... This is the how ive spent almost a LAkh in one year on this car.

2) Insurance - 13000/-
4) Axles - 8000/-
7) A/c faulty - 3000/-
=99000/-

And yea ive shifted from 13's to 14s on the ikon. Makes a noticeable difference to the cars handling charateristics.
wow danalan, must say you have had to spend a lot on your car. However, points 2 and 6 are just routine expenses and point 8 is also pretty much your choice, not really an A.S.S kind of issue. Just clarifying for other people, I know you didnt call it an A.S.S issue.

Last edited by sammyboy : 30th June 2008 at 15:44.
Old 30th June 2008, 17:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
how come some Fords have somuch problems and some dont have any?
@Danlalan, man.. thats a hefty bill you have put up.
Correction bro ALL Ikons have problems(mainly maintenence) its just varies with when they crop up.
Foe some (including me) its just the charcteristics of this car like handling, performance that keeps one loyal to it.
Old 1st July 2008, 00:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

A few are outside jobs. Most are A.S.S.

shazikon:
But But these expenses are only of the last year...THE CAR IS NOW 8YEARS OLD. No expenses for the previous 7years.

Never even realised the cost till i sat with the bill book. Although so much has gone into it, iam STILL IKON CRAZY...Love the car totally.

sanju.sreekumar:

Yes both Tires: Yoko's and 14" ikon alloys. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY on modding this Engine. This 91ps engine is the worst to mod. Even doing things like FFE,Airfilter, Ecu..etc will make NO MAJOR CHANGE IN PERFORMANCE. Max 12bhp more can be extracted from it with all these mods in place. SWAP your engine..1.8 zetec.

REPLACE YOUR AXLES ASAP. Its simply impossible to drive like that for a year BRO. or Repair them. This if not taken care of will cost you a BOMB later. Take care of the problem as soon as possible.
Old 1st July 2008, 01:14   #72
BHPian

@danlalan : No plans for modding the engine at any cost. Only FFE and tires. May be a spoiler (Tommy Makinen Evo type). Not done much R&D on that though.

Do you think the axles are available from outside Ford A.S.S? If so, any contacts in bangalore and how much would it cost?

Cheers
Sanju
Old 1st July 2008, 01:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanju.sreekumar View Post
@danlalan : No plans for modding the engine at any cost. Only FFE and tires. May be a spoiler (Tommy Makinen Evo type). Not done much R&D on that though.

Do you think the axles are available from outside Ford A.S.S? If so, any contacts in bangalore and how much would it cost?

Cheers
Sanju
Ahhh sorry mate. No idea about Bangy. But yes they are available outside.
Old 1st July 2008, 10:11   #74
BHPian

My car is 7 years old, run 74K and the engine is silky smooth. I can move from stand still in 2nd gear! Clutch is a little hard but not slipping though. I have pushed the car to the limits many times and she is faithful as ever! wish we had the ford after market parts as in Europe and UK.
Old 2nd July 2008, 03:02   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2) Insurance - 13000/-
4) Axles - 8000/-
7) A/c faulty - 3000/-
=99000/-

From that 99k if you subtract 52k for the Items marked in bold you will know how much the car actually demanded from you after giving 8 years of service. Infact I am feeling good about my almost 4 yr old car after reading your post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks