Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does coding a BMW void the warranty?
Coding voids warranty 31 21.83%
Coding does not void warranty 28 19.72%
Depends on the relationship with the ASC 31 21.83%
Don't know / Can't say 52 36.62%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 12:38   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW - Coding & enabling hidden features

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanspeedo View Post
I am thinking of retrofitting my X5-2015 with a digital dash- 6WB.
Check this post out: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4391426 (BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review)
Old 3rd September 2022, 21:30   #77
BHPian

Got this today: https://www.amazon.in/vLinker-Blueto...dp/B09QMF9WW6/ used Bimmercode to code the following:

Auto Start/Stop Memory - Active
Disabled 80kmph / 120kmph Gong
5 Times Turn Indicator Blinker

Was fairly straightforward and effortless.
heartbreakkid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 17:33   #78
BHPian

All - I am picking up my M340i in Pune in a couple of week's time. I want to immediately code out the 80/120 speed warnings. Would prefer to get it done in Pune itself. I will be driving the car from Pune to Bangalore.

Any suggestions on a reliable coder who can get it done? Not too worried about the warranty since I dont believe you are changing anything core in the car and I have had amazing experiences with BMW so far in the two cars I have owned previously.
Old 15th November 2022, 11:10   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrugu View Post
All - I am picking up my M340i in Pune in a couple of week's time. I want to immediately code out the 80/120 speed warnings. Would prefer to get it done in Pune itself. I will be driving the car from Pune to Bangalore.

Any suggestions on a reliable coder who can get it done? Not too worried about the warranty since I dont believe you are changing anything core in the car and I have had amazing experiences with BMW so far in the two cars I have owned previously.
Hi mrugu! Congratulations for getting the fastest car made in India and a dream for most petrolheads out there. The M340i is an awesome choice and getting rid of that irritating chime is a must when one buys such a car. You can contact my friend drcodemyvw who has coded dozens of m340i's and hundreds of other BMW's as well for the same. Ping him on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/CaG7JXlB...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y= he remote codes the cars and so it can be done in Pune itself. Congratulations and best wishes.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 19:46   #80

Good evening
Firstly, thanks for the insight on coding and your generous offer of help in hyderabad I have recently got my 3GT and looking at coding some additional features. Your help is solicited. TIA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
I did coding using the Bimmer Code app and a OBD 2 (V-gate iCar 2 Wi-fi) adapter. My car, a 525d (3.0L), doesn't have COMBOX and has the smaller screen size, so what i could do was limited. Only useful things i coded in are brighter angel lights and sports auto gear box. Sports auto gear box has faster shift times compared to the normal gear box that came in my car. That was worth the 2000 or 3000 rupees i spent on purchasing the app and the OBD 2 adapter.

Between Carly and Bimmer Code, i prefer Bimmer Code, because
1) Less overall cost
2) Works with wider range of OBD 2 adapters
3) The developer is friendly and takes time to answer your questions or problems if you have any.
4) Can code unlimited cars.

Compared to Carly where you have to buy their specific adapter and lot of other restrictions. Even though Bimmer Code is not able to access all modules it can do most of the options one would be interested in. The number of options you can code using Bimmer Code would significantly increase if you have the COMBOX and larger screen iDrive namely, NBT or NBT Evo. You can check on the Bimmer Code website what modules you can access and what can be changed based on the model code (e.g. Fxx, Exx)

P.S. If any one in Hyderabad, wants to code their car using the Bimmer Code app, please let me know. We can meet up and do it. Free of charge of course!!
Old 15th January 2023, 22:50   #81

Hi all, was just reading this thread. I have the 320LD and have been irritated with the 120 kmph gong. It's a continuous sound that gets very irritating when riding. I don't mind going at 130+ on some great interstate highways from Bangalore but hearing that sound gives me a headache.

The only question I have is whether any warranty on the car will get void and BMW will refuse to fix anything per the service packages etc. I didn't see any comments on that.
Old 16th January 2023, 06:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srisamp View Post
The only question I have is whether any warranty on the car will get void and BMW will refuse to fix anything per the service packages etc. I didn't see any comments on that.
Coding of any sort on your car will void it’s warranty. And on many roads out of Bangalore you will run into police units operating speed traps - sooner or later they’re going to install cameras up and down the highway like you see in roads out of Mumbai and Hyderabad.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 07:31   #83

Re: Ownership Review | My BMW 330 Li M Sport | Dreams do come true!

Anyone can help with contact details of a dependable BMW modder in Bangalore? Colleague wants to enable some of these features, and he prefers a face to face meeting to enable this
Old 16th January 2023, 07:54   #84
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If one re codes one’s car ecu or re maps it, it will most definitely void warranty. Any dealer/ manufacturer is well within their rights to refuse warranty in case of such re coding or re mapping. The spec that one buys from the dealer in India, is clearly made for India for a variety of reasons. Yes it may seem unfair that the equivalent car abroad may have a different state of tune or may not have certain warning dings or whatever it may be. But then the ECU is mapped as per the spec for the land that it is destined for. And any change done to that will cause the warranty to become null and void.

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2023 at 08:31. Reason: Removing off-topic post content
Old 16th January 2023, 11:00   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Coding of any sort on your car will void it’s warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If one re codes one’s car ecu or re maps it, it will most definitely void warranty.
Coding and remapping are 2 very different things. Coding is simply activating a feature already built it, and not forcing the vehicle to do anything. This is undetectable in most cases unless the person coding messes something up. Also the after sales don't really have the tools to detect this or do coding, but they can flash the modules back to stock. Remapping requires a re flash of the module, and that is nowadays detected in most cases.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:37   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Coding of any sort on your car will void it’s warranty.
Coding is changing values of different settings (using Bimmercode or a similar tool) that are anyway being altered by BMW depending on the variant/geography. As far as I know, it will not leave any trail behind if you change the values back to the original ones. For example, the value for the speed chime at 80 KM/hr may be 1, which gets changed to 0 to switch it off and can be easily reversed. If your service advisor manages to notice the after market coding during a test drive and reports it in job card, you may be in some trouble but IMO they won't do it if they want to stay alive in the market; I say that because almost every other luxury car owner I know has coded it out. Here is where your relationship with your service centre comes into picture as well.

Remapping on the other hand is comparatively, serious modification. The ECU can be flashed with the stock map - you could save the exact map that was there on your car and not a generic stock map for your car but the car will still log an increase in map counter. It will show that a custom map had been installed in the past - just like Android phones log the Custom ROM count. You may bring the map back to original but a simple diagnosis will tell your service centre/manufacturer that the car was remapped. With the logged counter increase, it is a matter or luck/relationship or how many strings you can pull that will decide if they honour your warranty or not.
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:52   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, was just reading this thread. I have the 320LD and have been irritated with the 120 kmph gong. It's a continuous sound that gets very irritating when riding. I don't mind going at 130+ on some great interstate highways from Bangalore but hearing that sound gives me a headache.

Most of the service centres in Mumbai do not even check this. I know of a few BMW's under BSI and warranty, where the service centres do not raise an issue. Some of the BMWs even have the Alpina display coded on them (so it is very obvious to the service centre that Coding has been done). However, if there is an iDrive/firmware update to be done by your service center, I would advise resetting your coding back to default before sending it over, to ensure the update goes smoothly.

Remapping the ECU is another issue altogether. I suspect this would void the warranty.
Old 3rd November 2023, 14:48   #88
BHPian

Coming from the VW stable, I am familiar with tools like Ross Tech VCDS cables and software that are used to enable/configure various features (for simple things like changing the number of flashes for lane change etc.,) as well as detect faults.

What is the equivalent in the BMW world?
Old 16th December 2023, 14:13   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Thanks so much. I tried this, and it is aleady set as not active on my car :(. I think BMW has changed the way this thing is coded.
Hi, pls try these steps.
In Bimmercode app, go to Go to expert mode in instrument cluster options. There, you will find 3001 KI_parameter. In that option, you would see
GESCHW_LIMIT_INDIEN_SCHWELLE_1 AND GESCHW_LIMIT_INDIEN_SCHWELLE_2. Click on both and set the values to 0*0.
And then finally, code it.
You're good to go.
This worked in my BMW G32.
Old 16th December 2023, 16:41   #90
BHPian

Hi,

Can anyone guide me to coding a G05 X5.
Want to remove the auto start stop setup and speed bongs. Thats it. Also the proximity sensors are very loud and annoying especially in Indian driving conditions.
I'm based out of Baroda Gujarat.
Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks