Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2007, 05:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
whats the engine number in the OHC VTEC ? is it a D16 series .. ?
IIRC B15C2, will check once again in the morning & confirm.
Old 6th January 2007, 17:49   #47
BHPian

It's B15C2.
Though it has largely been contended that all B series engines are DOHC I don't understand why Honda gave us a SOHC.
Old 6th January 2007, 22:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

ok guys..i think we had a lot of discussion on the engine bit..but is there any other diff between the 2 cars...( apart from cosmetic )

some1 had mentioned that suspension was diff..? is that the case ?..dus teh ohc vtec have rear discs like the new one ?...pls share the other differences
Old 7th January 2007, 00:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know, apart from the Vtec engine head, alloy wheels/ 175/60 R14tyres, rear spoiler, see through head retraints, silver center console, dual exhaust tips, black b pillar, 7100 redline tacho and the Vtec badge.....the Vtec is the same as the OHC 1.5. Even the overall weight of both cars is identical.

It's that Vtec engine (engine head rather) that makes all the diff.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 7th January 2007 at 00:16.
Old 7th January 2007, 00:19   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
As far as i know, 175/60 R14tyres,
Correction 175/65 R14 tyres.
Old 7th January 2007, 00:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
black b pillar
1.5 Exi has it too.

------------------------------------
Old 7th January 2007, 01:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correction 175/65 R14 tyres.
My bad. Mixed up the stock and the upgraded tyres on my car.

Quote:
1.5 Exi has it too.
Oh yeah it does. I think the 1.3 came with body coloured B pillar.

Shan2nu
Old 7th January 2007, 08:09   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega5918 View Post
VTECH Stands for "Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control", It's not just the logo on the bumper, It means a cutting edge technology powering your engines valves.
Here is the Anlology, You have a bucket of water, an empty bucket and small cup to transfer water from the filled one to the empty one.
To Increase the efficiency of water transfer you can use the following methods
1. Increase the size of the small cup thus by increasing the amount of water transferred.
2. You can move the cup faster between the buckets so that the work done is more.
Honda choose the later method, rotate the engine faster to produce more power, But there is a problem with this method at lower RPM's the engine guzzles up more fuel to produce the required costant power which is completely against HONDS's design, so they came up with VTECH.

If high speed operation is all we have to worry about, Honda wouldn't need to implement VTEC. Indeed, race engines that operate mostly at high rpms do not utilize any mechanism like VTEC. But street cars used for daily driving spend most of their time with the engine at low RPMs. Valves that open wide for high RPM operation contributes to rough operation and poor fuel economy at low RPMs. These undesirable traits are directly against Honda's design goals.
The solution that Honda came up with is the VTEC mechanism: open the valves nice and wide at high RPMs, but open them not as much at low RPMs. So now you have a engine with smooth operation at low RPMs, and high power output at high RPMs.
Hope you got the difference, in VTECH the camshaft is moved during operation as the RPM of the engine increases, this is done by using the oil presure inside the engine. So in VTECH the engine RPM desides how much the inlet and exhaust valves open.
Regards,
Mega
--Inspired By HONDA VTECH technology...
That was very informative!!
Old 7th January 2007, 20:12   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
That's where I might have confused it with 5200rpm.

Connect a voltmeter to the VTEC Solenoid Switch and taking the car for a spin might give the correct result. Will try sometime soon.
I did this today. Hooked up the LED to the VTEC Solenoid Control signal and took the car for a drive.
The LED lit up at around 5300-5500rpm and went off at around 5000-5300rpm both in the 1st and 2nd gear. I think the tacho might be *little* off mark

Well this doesn't seem to attest that the VTEC engages below 5000rpm.
Old 8th January 2007, 05:33   #55
BANNED

According to ACI, the mileage figures of both VTEC NHC & Non-VTEC NHC is almost the same, even though VTEC is a 100 HP Car. Can someone explain this discrepancy ?
Old 8th January 2007, 11:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
also is this the reason why the normal 1.5 is very jerky in city driving..
I have very limited experience driving the VTEC (have the 1.5) but I thought the VTEC was jerky at low speeds compared to the 1.5. This is based on the test drive of both cars, back-to-back, at the time of buying mine.

For sporty driving, I'd go for the VTEC anyday.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 8th January 2007, 22:18   #57
BHPian

After all the threads on an OHC VTEC, this thread with a straight-forward question!!

As all owners will agree, you have to drive it to believe it.

The VTEC technology successfully implemented in a passenger car, (copied by many) has to be experienced first hand.

The jerks can either be flashed out of the ECM or got used to - the cheaper option. That is not a glitch at all.

If it is a meagre 6BHP that you see on papers, then you are only a newspaper reader. Technology has to be read and re-read and understood and above all practically experienced.

VTEC is surely one of that.

The 1.5 OHC owners (no offence to you) but please dont use a VTEC logo, a passionate VTEC fan can breathe, smell or sense a VTEC anyway.
Old 9th January 2007, 00:32   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
I did this today. Hooked up the LED to the VTEC Solenoid Control signal and took the car for a drive.
The LED lit up at around 5300-5500rpm and went off at around 5000-5300rpm both in the 1st and 2nd gear. I think the tacho might be *little* off mark

Well this doesn't seem to attest that the VTEC engages below 5000rpm.
Vtec engages at 5200 Rpm in my D16Y8...
I dont think it will be lower than 5000 rpm in other Vtec models also...
Old 9th January 2007, 00:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
According to ACI, the mileage figures of both VTEC NHC & Non-VTEC NHC is almost the same, even though VTEC is a 100 HP Car. Can someone explain this discrepancy ?
Why would you want to call this a discrepancy ?
The Vtec will behave like a normal car below the "Vtec crossover" rpm band.. the lift in the intake valves in the normal "1.5 model" and the "Vtec model" will be the same... Only after you push the "Vtec model" to over 5200 rpm etc it willl show a difference in mileage and power.

In normal driving conditions or cruising in overdrive vtec model will not engage the high lift cam so the mileage will remain the same...

Also I feel that the mileage could even be better as the "non vtec cam profile" in the "Vtec model" may be even more sedate than that of the regular 1.5..
Old 9th January 2007, 16:19   #60
BANNED

Any chance that Narayan can change the head/cams on his 1.5 and make it more like a Vtec? I'm feeling sorry seeing his posts...

Most Viewed