Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 18:42   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to go for a Vtec but am not able to get too many in the mumbai market.
most models i am getting to se are 2001 models and i read that pre 2002 models have the jerking issue at lower speeds.
The jerking issue is not a major prob and you'l learn to avoid it as you start driving the car.

Shan2nu
Old 8th September 2010, 20:23   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shan2nu.

Any specific things that i should look out for while inspecting the car.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:47   #108
Senior - BHPian

1. Suspension. OHC has a soft setup and you have no idea about how the earlier driver abused it.
Damage - not encountered. Others might chip in.
Usually its the bushes that go first. Then the dampers. Then the spring coil.

2. Under-body rusting - not a great issue - except for the exhaust pipe and mufflers.
Damage - around 10-15K

3. Steering rack - same as with suspension. Though its sturdy and reliable - but just get it checked - there is no repair option - and replacement is pretty coslty
Damage - around 15-20K (Actually I don't remember clearly but it was pretty high)

4. I had issues with power windows. Motor is pretty costly. Damage - around 3-4K

5. Engine check light. O2 sensor is notorious. Goes bust pretty easily. Sensor from Honda is ~10K. Outside one is around 5K.

Usually there are no issues with transmission and engine with old Hondas. Pretty safe bet.
Old 10th September 2010, 16:46   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Apha. I shall be checking a 2001 model this week. If possible i shall post the pics for review by you guys.
Old 24th September 2010, 14:51   #110
Senior - BHPian

Ok all Vtecs are being lapped up within a day of entering the market and even before i can see one.

Anyways there is a 2002 second owner vtec for sale with 90k Kms on the Odo. Asking Price is 2.4L in Mumbai. Is this price ok. I have to see the car but not sure whether a 90k car would be that great a buy. Kindly Advise. Thanks guys.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:19   #111
Senior - BHPian

If the condition is fine otherwise, get a compression test done. If that holds well, buy it.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:52   #112
Senior - BHPian

@pranavt, whats a compression test sir.
Old 24th September 2010, 18:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
whats a compression test sir.
Engine Compression Testing

At sea level the values should be around the 190-195psi mark for the OHC VTEC. But anything over 175psi can be considered healthy i guess.

Shan2nu
Old 24th September 2010, 19:38   #114
Senior - BHPian

Thank you shan2nu for sharing the article. I shall see where i can get the same checked in mumbai.
Old 18th October 2010, 21:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shan2nu and Pranav and other Vtec gurus,

Queries again. Took a test drive of mid 2001 Vtec, Golden Colour, 47k on the Odo, Body looked ok, upholstery was in good condition, checked the wheel weels and underbody, it was coated with mud so didnt know if rusting was there.

Car drove well except when in 1st and 2nd gear at low speeds, i could feel a lag and then the car pullng away. In 3rd gear it was flying. Is this lag due to the Pre 2002 ECU. I casually asked the dealer and he said the petrol was very less and hence that lag.

I also wanted to know if spares are esily available for the OHC Vtec and the approx prices for the following items.

Wiper Assembly
Headlight Assembly
Tail light Assembly
Dashboard
Power Window Switches and Console

Reason for asking this is to ascertain what amount is worth spending and also because this make the car look like new on the inside.
BTW Its a 2nd owner car and price quoted is 2.3L.

It would be great if any Vtec owner from mumbai could help me in checking the car out. Thanks for all the help guys.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 18th October 2010, 23:59   #116
Senior - BHPian

If the jerking was between 750-1400 rpm, it was because of the old ECU. Otherwise, it could be something else. Did you do a compression test?

The parts you've listed are cheap; the headlights and taillights can be OE (Stanley) or China/Taiwan make. OE ones are around 10-12k whereas Chinese are around 3k. As for the dashboard, I doubt if any dealer is going to be able to find a new dashboard for you; you could look in Kurla. Power window winders go bad easily, so be prepared to replace them once you have the car.

And start bargaining at 2.05L and go above. The correct price would be around 2-2.1L. The kilometres are most probably tampered with, don't trust that and let the dealer raise the value because of that.
Old 19th October 2010, 00:10   #117
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the assistance Pranav.

i dont know how exactly to do a compression test plus the dealers do not allow to take the car to any mechs. have to go to the dealers place and check the car out.

the jerk was in the very initial stage when pressed the accelerator so i am thinking it would be in the RPM Range that you have specified.

and regd parts, i was just thinking of adding a new touch so that my family feels happier otherwise i am more concerned with the engine and the overall mechanical condition. The AC also felt decent and couldnt find any major lack of power with AC on. i took her for a ride on the andheri lokhandwala back road but didnt rev too hard (dealer was sitting at the back). Ride quality was also decent.

Tomo will come to know of one more mid 2002 black vtec. shall post an update on that as well.

and many thanks pranav for answering all the queries. you guys are a real help.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:03   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Got hold of a 2001 OHC Vtec and finalised it. Silver Colour, Odo reads as 42K kms but i am sure thats tampered. Tyres and interiors look good. Engine bay was clean. Body is very clean and well maintained. Drove the car twice for around 5 minutes. Couldnt find any rust on wheelwells or tailpipe. Power windows work ok. Slight scatches on the windshield on drivers side, looks like a cat or dog would have pawed in.

Shall be taking delivery on Nov 17th. Many Thanks to Shan2nu and Pranav for assisting me in the queries. More will follow now.

Pranav, would want to meet you once i get the car and get your views on it since you are in Mumbai.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 17th November 2010, 14:23   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Took the delivery at 8AM today. The registration procedures will be done and i shall get the RC books in 10 days.

I drove around 1km and stopped to fuel up. Post that whenever i used to slow down at speed breakers or traffic to shift to lower gears and the moment i pressed the clutch the engine died. this happened atleast 7 - 8 times. the RPM was at around 800 - 900 and sometime the idling was fluttering at around 400 rpm. there was no consistency.

I plan to do a full servicing in 2 weeks (out of country for 2 weeks)
Can the gurus tell me what all things i would need to ask the mechanic to check.

Initial test drives were good but i never revved it up as didnt get a clean stretch and never found this issue. Today i took her for a spin on an open stretch, engine is silent than most other vehicles even at hard revving however i didnt feel the thurst or excellent power delivery which is always talked about of a Vtec.

Please help as i am very anxious. I shall start a ownership thread in 2 weeks with the pics.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 17th November 2010, 17:35   #120
Senior - BHPian

Thrust is felt usually in 2nd gear around 2500-3000 RPM and continues till red.

1st gear is too short, 3rd gear may give slight thrust at about 4000 and prob continues till red.

Other than that there are no really "jet plane like" thrust.

Oh and you need to press the pedal fully for experiencing the thrust.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks