Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 19:19   #121
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Alpha,

Can you let me know if you could ascertain the reason for the engine dying out at low speeds. can it be anything serious? Others please help.
Old 17th November 2010, 23:34   #122
Senior - BHPian

Get the throttle body and IACV cleaned. Let me know when you want to meet by PM. Where do you stay in Mumbai?
Old 20th November 2010, 14:47   #123
Senior - BHPian

I drove the car again on wednesday night and it was running fine. No issues at all this time. The car started in a single crank and the RPM was hovering around 800 RPM on the tacho.

Could this have been an issue of the car not driven for a long time and being too low on fuel when i took delivery.

Shall update further in 2 weeks as i am not in town and thanks to all for the assistance. Can anyone suggest a good mechanic for the Vtec around Goregaon West.

Cheers,
Raj...
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:18   #124
BHPian

Re: Ohc 1.5 Vs Ohc Vtec

After going trough this thread i felt that one who never has driven either a 1.5 or a vtec cant actually judge if the car is actually a 1.5 or vtec else than cosmetic factors.You can make a standard 1.5 into a vtec with few changes.so how should one judge??the final thing is to check its papers if it mentions vtec but what if its written 1.5 as the vtec is actually 1.5??
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:03   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post
so how should one judge??the final thing is to check its papers if it mentions vtec but what if its written 1.5 as the vtec is actually 1.5??
Simple way to identify if the OHC is VTEC or not is to open the Bonnet and see the embossing on the engine. You don't have to rely on any of the mods or in-car changes.
Also if you have the VIN number you can also get the information on the engine type.

And lastly the RC Book will provide you the details.
Old 5th February 2011, 19:26   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After going trough this thread i felt that one who never has driven either a 1.5 or a vtec cant actually judge if the car is actually a 1.5 or vtec else than cosmetic factors.You can make a standard 1.5 into a vtec with few changes.so how should one judge??the final thing is to check its papers if it mentions vtec but what if its written 1.5 as the vtec is actually 1.5??
Just take it for a spin and do what the OHC does best : REDLINE . If the limiter cuts in at 6,800 rpm, it's a regular 1.5. If she revvs to 7,100 rpm, that's a Vtec.

A 1.5 makes you feel good. But a Vtec makes you feel real special. The OHC Vtec taught me that a car needn't have 400 BHP to be fun to drive. Mark my words : There won't be too many 106 BHP cars that can give you such a kick. Ever.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2011, 03:29   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just take it for a spin and do what the OHC does best : REDLINE . If the limiter cuts in at 6,800 rpm, it's a regular 1.5. If she revvs to 7,100 rpm, that's a Vtec.

A 1.5 makes you feel good. But a Vtec makes you feel real special. The OHC Vtec taught me that a car needn't have 400 BHP to be fun to drive. Mark my words : There won't be too many 106 BHP cars that can give you such a kick. Ever.
My Ohc revs above 8000 rpm!Is my limiter faulty??
Old 6th February 2011, 06:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mark my words : There won't be too many 106 BHP cars that can give you such a kick. Ever.
OT: Which are the cars that come closest to OHC V in the current generation cars at sub 10L range (include diesel as well )
Old 6th February 2011, 23:03   #129
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Ohc revs above 8000 rpm!Is my limiter faulty??
On the contrary, your revv-limiter is doing a great job

Seriously though, the Vtecs were known to push up their revv limits, especially after changing something (service, ECU reset etc.). I've maxed out at 7,400 rpms once, and IIRC, Shantanu's car went even higher. I don't think your revv-limiter is working at all, if you are able to push beyond 8,000 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
OT: Which are the cars that come closest to OHC V in the current generation cars at sub 10L range (include diesel as well )
In terms of feel and "being connected", none. In terms of the mad revv-happy engine, none. The Vtec's 0 - 100 is still unmatched in the C segment..a full 10 years after the car's entry into the Indian scene.

But in terms of overall driving pleasure over 100 kph (i.e. open road), the Fiesta 1.6 S and Linea T-Jet score much higher. As good as the revv-happy engine is, the OHC's high speed dynamics are as bad.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2011 at 23:04.
Old 6th February 2011, 23:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

Your engine is not making any power at those RPMs with the stock cam/internals. All you will end up doing is shorten the life of your engine, exponentially.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:00   #131
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Your engine is not making any power at those RPMs with the stock cam/internals. All you will end up doing is shorten the life of your engine, exponentially.
Pranav : This is a thread of your interest (Linky). The good and bad about revving higher.
Old 7th February 2011, 21:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've maxed out at 7,400 rpms once, and IIRC, Shantanu's car went even higher. I don't think your revv-limiter is working at all, if you are able to push beyond 8,000 rpm.
Yup, this happened when i had the 02 sensor check light on. There was no limiter on my car for sometime, i took it to 7,800rpm once but then decided not to push it anymore.

Now it's back to 7,100rpm, which is more than sufficient, for a stock engine.

Shan2nu
Old 13th March 2013, 14:47   #133
BHPian

The engine code of the Indian 1.5 OHC vtec is, B15C2
Old 13th March 2013, 18:03   #134
Senior - BHPian

If you would have read this thread only properly, you would have found the engine code posted a few pages earlier.

I feel mods delete unecessary threads because there are already threads containing information on them.Having different threads on the same topic will uselessly clutter the forum.

Thanks Joel,for posting the code.

Last edited by GTO : 14th March 2013 at 14:28. Reason: Quoted post deleted
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 22:55   #135
BHPian

AFAIK, the only difference between the B15C2 and the GXi is the SOHC VTEC head.
That includes the cams, the solenoid, the switching mechanism and the ECU.

Is it really possible for one to get the VTEC head onto a 1.5? Will it be expensive?

Or can cheaper mods compensate/overcompensate for the lack of the top end whack of a 1.5 over a VTEC?

I'm a proper novice so I would really appreciate it if the jargon is kept to a minimum, or explained.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks