Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:41   #16
BHPian

So...What happened Then?

mithun,

I know its been long you fixed you Zen. Can you post details on what was the issue and resolution. Please give every detail you remember.

Is will be good to know for other facing similar problems.

Anyways, Hows your Zen doing now?

Thanks.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:48   #17
BANNED

There are a few things which normally may indicate the need for an overhaul:

1. Low Compression
2. Back compression or blow back : smoke/fumes coming from the crankcase
3. Excessive oil consumption
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:13   #18
BHPian

Hmm..Something wierd.

Yesterday a strange thing happened in my zen.

My zen generally drops water from silencer during cold runs. I have seen water drops not just at first starts but even rest of the day. My zen has done 81K kms. Its a carb one.

Yersterday, during cold start with couple of mins of idling. Then i did some real high revs. To hear the engine sound. I saw carbon/soot power being thrown out from silencer, lots of it!!!

I had my bucket of water some feet away. I saw carbon thrown on that too!

Also after couple of high revs, it gave real black smoke for 2-3 secs!!

When i opened air filter box. I saw very thin film of oil in bottom of air filter chamber. Also the pipe that gets air from engine to air filter compartment had oil film in it. Im not trying to link things here. Let me know if i need to check for something else too.

Im not sure whats going on with my zen.

Power is adequate. Engine is silent. Mileage in city is 11 & highway is 17. Havent noticed engine oil getting reduced.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Will an old engine needing overhaul pass the pollution check test? I mean,can failure in this test be taken as an indicator for engine overhaul?
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
There are a few things which normally may indicate the need for an overhaul:

1. Low Compression
2. Back compression or blow back : smoke/fumes coming from the crankcase
3. Excessive oil consumption
the sludge and deposits in the engine block (valves,pistons etc) can cause drop in the compression, higher oil consumption, black smoke etc!

get a engine flushing done before getting a overhaul done!
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:59   #21
BHPian

Generally, one of the first indicaters to me that engine is slowly ambling towards an engine overhaul (O/H) condition is when engine starts burning oil in combustion chamber, thus engine oil level going down.
Secondly, a gradual decrease in FE accompanied by unburned fuel coming out of exhauxt in the form of black soot/smoke.
To an extent , engine blow-back can be taken as a reason for O/H condition if the Head-Gasket--that seals off Engine head and engine block-- is intact.Usually, gases leaking due to deformed Head-gasket lead into crankcase thereby affecting Engine oil's viscosity.

There are many other conditions, piston rings losing there effectiveness or fried piston rings with engine temperature shooting up accompanied by smoke . Leaks in Cyclinder's allowing coolant to mix with air-fuel mixture during ingition, a cause to get engine block examined, ..., etc
Old 26th September 2009, 00:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Hi Could anyone enlighten the forum on the same topic but with focus in new age diesel engines ( CRdi ) ? That would be really helpful
+1 to that. tbhp diesel gurus shoot
Old 26th September 2009, 14:28   #23
BANNED

New age CRDI engines are much more complicated . First is the mechanical part and second will be the electronics part and third will b the turbo part .

The biggest challenge is the injectors .. they are costly and are typically atleast 10 times the cost of a mechanical injector . To service an injector at bosch it would typically cost 1250 upwards for each injectors . Incase if the injectors are failed and useless they still charge you 750 as testing fess .

50-60 % of the diagnosis is wrong with a crdi engine even at ASC . The reason being there are so many factors involved in deciding what has gone wrong .

A friend of mine had a problem wit his Accent CRDI and the problem was that the engine would not revv beyond 2500 rpm . My friend took it to a ASC and they told him that there was a short in the electicals and the estimate was almost a lakh for servicing the car . We then took it to pudupet and tried swapping all the sensors and the MAF sensor was faulty . It cost us only 2,500 ..LOL

There are so many sensors in the engine ex . crank sensor , cam sensor , oil sensor , maf sensor , exhaust sensor , temperature sensor etc .

Added to those is the turbo which requires a careful attention .

For example the Ford Ikon 1.8 engine duratorq engine comes in a variety of configs from IDI , DI turbo to TDCI and all the engines in different forms exhbit the same mechanical life . Only the turbos and electrical parts ,electro mech parts have diff life spans .
Old 26th September 2009, 14:34   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Yesterday a strange thing happened in my zen.

My zen generally drops water from silencer during cold runs. I have seen water drops not just at first starts but even rest of the day. My zen has done 81K kms. Its a carb one.

Yersterday, during cold start with couple of mins of idling. Then i did some real high revs. To hear the engine sound. I saw carbon/soot power being thrown out from silencer, lots of it!!!

I had my bucket of water some feet away. I saw carbon thrown on that too!

Also after couple of high revs, it gave real black smoke for 2-3 secs!!

When i opened air filter box. I saw very thin film of oil in bottom of air filter chamber. Also the pipe that gets air from engine to air filter compartment had oil film in it. Im not trying to link things here. Let me know if i need to check for something else too.

Im not sure whats going on with my zen.

Power is adequate. Engine is silent. Mileage in city is 11 & highway is 17. Havent noticed engine oil getting reduced.

That is normal . The catalytic converter was just cleaning itself .
Old 26th September 2009, 20:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
Maruti 800 - 90K~1Lakh~1.10Lakh
Zen - 100 - 120 Lakh
Esteem - 120~150Lakh
Baleno - 150~175 Lakh
Ambassadoor / Fiat - Ram Bharosay .

Prior to above quoted Km's

YOU NEED SERIOUS DRVING TIPS n CAR MAINTENNACE TIPS

Tnx
-
Buddy, where are the decimals? This surely makes these cars worth buying, no overhauling.
Old 25th September 2012, 19:18   #26
BHPian

Re: When it's time to overhaul the engine ?

can anyone suggest when does a K12 engine (Maruti EECO) require an overhaul?? I'm getting an EECO which has done 140K on odo but the engine pulls nicely. So how do I know if the engine has some miles to munch or requires immediate overhaul?
Old 12th October 2012, 22:25   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

So how can someone identify when the engine needs an overhaul ?

After how much KMS does a typical Indian car needs an overhaul ?
Could somebody please answer those questions? Thanks in advance..! I am considering an overhaul for my car too, but don't know whether I should.
Old 12th October 2012, 22:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Could somebody please answer those questions? Thanks in advance..! I am considering an overhaul for my car too, but don't know whether I should.
Engine overhaul is not something which is mandatory after a certain kms.
You may consider overhauling if the car is you are experiencing loss of pick-up(severe), blue/white smoke from exhaust,excessive oil consumption .

Modern engines do not require overhauling at least a couple of lakh kms iff you maintain it regularly with oil change interval not exceeding 10K kms. Proper oil change is more than sufficient to keep your engine happy !
Old 12th October 2012, 22:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Engine overhaul is not something which is mandatory after a certain kms.
You may consider overhauling if the car is you are experiencing loss of pick-up(severe), blue/white smoke from exhaust,excessive oil consumption .

Modern engines do not require overhauling at least a couple of lakh kms iff you maintain it regularly with oil change interval not exceeding 10K kms. Proper oil change is more than sufficient to keep your engine happy !
Thanks for the reply. There is no opaque smoke, or excessive oil consumption seen as of now. The spark plugs are also a tan-brown color. But I do feel a reduction in power -- not sure if I am dreaming.. need to find someone to test drive my ohc so that they can compare it to their own.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:11   #30
BHPian

di1in,

Do a leak down test at a good garage & all your questions will be answered. I think if you de-carbonize your engine you will be satisfied.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks