Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 16:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: When is it time to overhaul the engine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore
He said that Compressor went Kaput. And he narrates that after the vehicle heating up, the compressor gets stuck and eventually stalls the engine as well.
I have had a host of issues in the past few months with the AC of my Baleno (a/c fan working intermittently, low gas, gas leakage, fixing leakage and finally dismantling the full dashboard to replace the evaporator coil etc), but the compressor was ok. So I don't really know how it is determined that the compressor is kaput. Maybe others can help with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore
As it is 2004 MS Baleno, the parts are very expensive. He said a approx quote of not less than Rs. 20k. Are there any workarounds or reliable aftermarket solutions?
Inspite of compressor being good, I have spent quite a packet (approx 11-12K) for the various a/c issues. Not to mention a lot of time and pain. :(

However, if we can be sure that its your compressor that is indeed gone, one option is to pick up a used compressor from a scrapped Baleno in a salvage yard. Will be way cheaper, but ofcourse being used, there is no guarantee on how long it will perform well.

Or if you plan to retain the car for another 5 years atleast (it's due for FC this year, since it's a 2004 model), you can even invest in a new compressor.

The two things that are sweet about the Baleno are the engine and the bone-chilling ac. With either of them not working, it isn't fun - which was why I spent all that money/effort/time fixing the ACissue. Hope yours also gets resolved soon.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 19:21   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophomore View Post
I then Cranked the engine with A.C turned off and went to the technician. Luckily infront of the technician I was able to recreate the issue. He said that Compressor went Kaput. And he narrates that after the vehicle heating up, the compressor gets stuck and eventually stalls the engine as well.
A simple way to eliminate any other causes would be remove the belt driving the AC compressor and use the car for a few days. Not sure if the climate and your passengers would permit, but that can confirm the diagnosis.

Going by all the symptoms you have posted it does indeed look like a compressor that's gone bad.

If this has happened recently, you might be able to salvage the condenser and other parts and just replace the compressor.

As others have pointed out, scout for second hand ones, and if nothing works out, go for a new one.

Getting warranty on a new one is a pain. I had a bad compressor that my FNG got fixed (or exchanged for a used / repaired one) and the FNG has offered me a goodwill warranty of 3 months.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 19:47   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Or if you plan to retain the car for another 5 years atleast (it's due for FC this year, since it's a 2004 model), you can even invest in a new compressor.
I will love to retain it as I now feel a sense of confidence and relief with all the helpful BHPians pitching in and helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
A simple way to eliminate any other causes would be remove the belt driving the AC compressor and use the car for a few days. Not sure if the climate and your passengers would permit, but that can confirm the diagnosis.
If the belt can be removed then that would be a clever move as I can concentrate on other parts of maintenance and attend to this compressor issue later with a clear picture.

Quote:
If this has happened recently, you might be able to salvage the condenser and other parts and just replace the compressor.
Then I should worry as this has been there for a while. I didn't attend to it as I got tired with all those AC issues in the past. And one more reason for not attending is obviously that I recently joined this lovely forum.
Sophomore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 15:01   #109
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,

My family owns a 2008 Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 Diesel mHawk 4x2, it has been in the family for 13 years and has served us well and still continues to do so, have clocked over
150,xxx on the car. My father and I are planning to restore the car later this year mechanically and also the aesthetic part to it.

The 2.2 is a gem of a engine and has been a reliable workhorse for us, not giving us any trouble or major expenses. I am considering on overhauling the engine so it serves well for another 10-12 years as we plan on keeping this car forever.

The following are the parts I feel that need to replaced/overhauled

1.Waterpump
2. Head Gasket
3. Running Belt
4. Cooling Fan
5. Intercooler
6. Head Gasket
7. All Necessary fluids/oils
8. Entire Clutch Assembly
9. Necessary filters and pumps

Also until very recently a lot of smoke is emitted from the exhaust when we change into higher gears and overtake, could this be a turbo issue or is the car running rich?

Bhpians your expert opinions on what more I can do for the car so it continues to run as good as new, Also should I go ahead with this overhaul through authorized Mahindra service stations, or go to a reputed mechanic outside so I can monitor and actively take part of the overhaul

Cheers

Cliff

Last edited by Cliff9091 : 9th April 2022 at 15:07. Reason: Needed to add a few more points
Old 9th April 2022, 15:12   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Also until very recently a lot of smoke is emitted from the exhaust when we change into higher gears and overtake, could this be a turbo issue or something else?

Bhpians your expert opinions on what more I can do for the car so it continues to run as good as new

Cheers

Cliff
Smoke can be due to some air leak in the intake charging system or vacuum modulators.

Unless something is being diagnosed to be broken or is recommended to be replaced for the age / kms, do not replace it. Apart from consumables and general wear and tear items, not much will go wrong with it.

At this time ask the the ASC technician to test drive, inspect and provide you an estimate of what is broken. You can get the vehicle to feel like the day it was handed over to you when you brought it - if you are ready to spend the time and money to get it done right and the ASC guys know that is what you want.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 15:32   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Smoke can be due to some air leak in the intake charging system or vacuum modulators.

Unless something is being diagnosed to be broken or is recommended to be replaced for the age / kms, do not replace it. Apart from consumables and general wear and tear items, not much will go wrong with it.

At this time ask the the ASC technician to test drive, inspect and provide you an estimate of what is broken. You can get the vehicle to feel like the day it was handed over to you when you brought it - if you are ready to spend the time and money to get it done right and the ASC guys know that is what you want.
Thank you so much for your insights @Kosfactor, My father and I have been servicing the car from India Garage from the day we bought it, have had satisfied experience overall, am looking at AUTOMAC Bangalore also now for this job, and I personally know the owner there Mr Thomas. My father is willing to spend any amount to keep this car going as good as knew, if you know of any other reputed garages in Bangalore please do let me know it will be extremely helpful

Cheers
Cliff
Old 9th April 2022, 21:05   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Thank you so much for your insights @Kosfactor, My father and I have been servicing the car from India Garage from the day we bought it, have had satisfied experience overall, am looking at AUTOMAC Bangalore also now for this job, and I personally know the owner there Mr Thomas. My father is willing to spend any amount to keep this car going as good as knew, if you know of any other reputed garages in Bangalore please do let me know it will be extremely helpful

Cheers
Cliff
While I have had good experience with body work, painting, AC work, Alignment etc outside, I prefer the mechanical work being done by the ASC. Will send you a PM.

Most Viewed