Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 17:21   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

MT Gearbox failure on brand new Hyundai Verna (261 km on the odo)

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Hello Team–BHP,

I am writing this with a heartache. My brand new Verna diesel MT delivered on Sep 10th developed a gearbox failure on Sep 14 and is lying with the dealer since Sep 15, awaiting a new gearbox under warranty.

I am sharing this with Team-BHP so that others can know about my experience, and also get suggestions from fellow members.

My experience is as below.

On Sep 14, I was returning home from office in the car. My new diesel Verna MT which had just done ~250 km started to go "grrr grrr" while changing the gears, though not all of them (this issue was not happening all the time). While shifting from 3rd to 4th when I was on the Eastern Express highway, the gear lever got stuck in 4th and refused to come out of that slot. I slowly managed to park to the left and tried desperately to shift to neutral. After trying for some time, I called HRA (Hyundai Roadside Assistance). After giving details including sharing the location via an SMS link sent by them, the tow truck reached in 1.5 hours.

The mechanic arrived with a tow truck and upon informing him about the issue, he took the wheel, with me sitting beside him in the passenger seat. He started the car in 4th gear itself and gave it a slight tug, and the gear shifter became free and came in neutral. I took a brief test drive while he waited for me to come back and the car seemed fine. Relieved, I drove on after thanking him.

After a few kms, the gear got stuck again in 4th!!! I pulled to the right side of the road as I was on the far right and had to request traffic coming from behind to drive around me as I was unable to shift to neutral. I called up the mechanic again who was now far away from my second breakdown spot. He said he can come back if needed, but he asked me to try and free the gear by moving the car in 4th a bit ahead, trying to shift to neutral at the same time.

After about 5 minutes of trying, the gearbox somehow managed to come to neutral. I thanked the mechanic on the phone and reached home using just the first 3 gears.

I took the car to Hyundai's service center the next day again using only 3 gears and informed them about the issue. The gear shifter got stuck in 4th at the service center itself. Quickly a job card was opened and I was told that it would take 1-2 days to file a report and once the report is done, they will act as per Hyundai’s instructions.

In around 2 days’ time, I got to know that Hyundai will be replacing the entire gearbox. The new unit will arrive on the 25th and I probably will get the car post 1 or 2 days from that day. This entire experience has left a bitter taste in the mouth for me. I already had a troublesome car before which needed garage visits almost every month, and now my brand new Verna is rotting away waiting for major parts which is not expected from a new Hyundai vehicle.

I have written to Hyundai’s customer care email requesting for a quick resolution, and also requested to grant me the 5th year warranty free of cost as complimentary from Hyundai for my troubles. The car already has 4 years of warranty coverage. I am yet to get any news about the same.

My question to BHPians is:

1. Will the car with the new gearbox be as good as one with a factory fitted gearbox? Can I expect issues in the future related to the same?

I have to face the pain of owning a brand new repaired car at just 261 kms on the odo .

2. Is asking for the 5th year warranty for free justified?

I am not even sure if I would like to keep the car or sell it off. I have not even received the RC book from the RTO. Hyundai has not got back to me on the extended warranty part.

Thanks all.
MT Gearbox failure on brand new Hyundai Verna (261 km on the odo)-service.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2018 at 17:25.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 17:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: MT Gearbox failure on brand new Hyundai Verna (261 km on the odo)

Okay, seriously - what's up with the new Verna? If we've heard of 3 cases on Team-BHP, there are probably 300 cases nationwide.

Defective engine (Defective new Verna 1.6 AT - Hyundai wants to change engine, owner wants a new car)

Verna replaced quickly (Hyundai Verna develops faults, replaced with new car within a month)

To answer your questions:

Quote:
1. Will the car with the new gearbox be as good as one with a factory fitted gearbox? Can I expect issues in the future related to the same?
Fitting a gearbox is a simple process. I wouldn't be comfortable with an engine change (like in the case linked above), but a gearbox replacement is relatively straight-forward. Not complex at all.

It's just bad luck man. Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Quote:
You should definitely ask for a sweetener and I feel it's an extremely fair request. Hope that they've given you a loaner car to use while yours is in the garage.

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2018 at 17:27.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 18:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why does it get locked into place? I think of a faulty shifting fork, synchroniser and possibly a badly machined helical gear. Worse still? The gearbox was not filled with sufficient lubricant as a result of which the above mentioned parts may have been damaged.

Quote:
My question to BHPians is:

No, it's not an issue. A manual GB isn't complex to replace. They have disconnect the drive shafts, the gear shifter links, undo the chassis mounts and finally from the engine. This is done from under the car when it's on a hoist/lift.

Before and after you collect your car:

a) Ensure you take photos of the vehicle's interior and exterior. Also get a report/receipt. Removing a heavy GB is a manual intensive task. Carelessness can result in scratches to the exterior paint or bumpers.

b) Have them check the lube oil level. On most MTs the lube oil should begin to trickle out of the filler hole when the car has been stationary for at least 5 minutes.

c) Go for a long test whilst driving yourself accompanied by the service advisor. Do not go by his assurances. Take a 50 km run if you have to working your way up and down the gears to test them.

Quote:
I have to face the pain of owning a brand new repaired car at just 261 kms on the odo .
I feel bad for you man. Really do. Spending 10s of lakhs on a brand new car only to have it fail within a few 100 kms.

Quote:
Yes, I believe reparations are in order.

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st September 2018 at 18:02.
R2D2 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 18:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Crap happens

Dont give up due to a faulty gearbox. It is a straightforward replacement. If it fails again, you need to start worrying.

A 5th year warranty is fair. Gives you assurance and makes Hyundai accountable for the product. (They might lose in additional profit in extended warranty but they dont lose any money otherwise!)
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think 5th year warranty is fair. You lose that much on resale value as this will be on the records

In fact, if you have not paid for the extended warranty (even if you have), I would negotiate with Hyundai to give me a 4-5 year extended warranty free. And push for them picking up the tab for all services until 30k.

Gear box replacement is fairly straightforward but what will hit you is the drop in resale value.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 21:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry- these occasional failures happen. You're extremely unlucky. I wouldn't start contemplating selling the car unless there are other problems.

As GTO mentioned- hope you've got a loaner car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Okay, seriously - what's up with the new Verna?
I think all manufacturers are cutting down on manufacturing quality, dare I say giving a step-motherly treatment to the Indian market. I hope the manufacturers have not worked out the economics of quality the Ford Pinto way. Replacing a few failed parts is cheaper than investing in high-quality parts. The Indian consumer generally upgrades his car sooner compared to his counterparts in the US.

I wish I'm proved wrong- but I think manufacturing quality has gone down from the same companies which set the high standards.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Tata or a Mahindra had minor issues- but it looks like Honda City, Toyota Innova and the Hyundai Verna are having some manufacturing issues. I don't think the previous gen Verna, City and Qualis/Innova had these many defects.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 21:54   #7
BHPian

I don't mean to be offensive here, but looking at the present circumstances, it looks like Hyundai is slowly changing form into another Skoda in disguise.

Three horror stories and all of them around the same time period means that something is just not right with the Verna.I just hope Hyundai announces an official recall of the Verna's out there in the near future, as you don't want to lose your hard earned reputation!

Also, one thing I've observed common in all the three issues so far is the fact that each issue has popped up just days after the delivery was done.This just makes me wonder if there's something wrong in Hyundai's plant!

Whatever the issue may be, I hope it is solved as quickly as possible, as we just don't want another Skoda story in the market.

Cheers,
Karthi.stark
karthi.stark is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 00:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, manual gearbox is not complex at all. It will take around 2-3 hours to change it. It will be as good as a factory fitted one. I don't think you'll face any issue if they change the components properly.

P.S: Previous gen Verna was notorious for its gearbox/clutch problems. Even I got it changed recently and it works just fine.

Quote:
Yes, I think it is justified as one of the main components failed so early.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 08:39   #9
BHPian

Re: MT Gearbox failure on brand new Hyundai Verna (261 km on the odo)

After Honda's botch up with the Fourth Gen City, I guess its now Hyundai turn to start making lemons. And we are also hearing complaints about Innova Crysta as well. Seriously whats up with manufacturers these days?
nakul0888 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2018, 17:14   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I understand that your previous car ownership experience has left a bitter taste.

The bond between you and your car is sometimes similar to a married relationship. The trust part is important. If you have in the back of your mind whether the car will brake down or not, you never can enjoy the ownership experience. It's sad, especially when you have paid a premium for a new car ONLY for the hassle-free experience.

I would suggest you keep your mind clear and trust that this is a one-off issue. Trust your car & take care of your car religiously. Its a new car it should not give up on you. If it does once again, then you can think the other way.

The technical part has been explained in the posts above.

Last edited by dhanushs : 22nd September 2018 at 17:16.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:43   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to the owner for providing this update!

Quote:
Hello,

The update is as below. The car is still with Hyundai's service center.

It seems the MT gearbox design for the Verna has changed at the factory. The new design was sent instead of the original one due to a system goof up. The newly arrived gearbox was not fitting perfectly due to the modification, as certain parts were not available (the technical terms were a bit unclear to me). They will be ordering a new gearbox again on Monday (8 Oct) along with the modified components. Possibly a team of Hyundai technicians may arrive to verify the current gearbox, but this is again unclear.

Since I have to change 4 rail tracks to reach office, my health suffered due to the daily travel. I reluctantly have accepted a courtesy car which was promptly delivered on the very next day of the request. I had refused the same earlier as I did not want to be liable for someone's else vehicle. The said car is in good condition and has all functional features, thankfully.

I had met the floor manager at the shop and have been promised an expedited process. As per my SA, the issue has been escalated to high levels at Hyundai and things are claimed to be taken at high priority. I had got a call from the Hyundai helpline and have also given my feedback on the vehicle.

Upon inquiring for the 5th year warranty, I was told that they will definitely consider it, but the floor manager said that the 5th year warranty is not available for the diesel Verna. I replied that the sales guy had informed me that I can buy it within 60 days of the purchase of the vehicle and if it can be bought, then I can definitely get it FOC. He said he will look into the matter - can any BHPian confirm if they have bought the 5th year warranty on the Verna? Also, can someone confirm the change in the gearbox design from Hyundai for the Verna?

All in all, more bad luck to have been sent the wrong gearbox. I can't believe my horrid misfortune. I bought the car for peace of the mind and all it has brought me is heartache and restless nights. Attached is a pic of the gearbox received by them.

Thanks all.
MT Gearbox failure on brand new Hyundai Verna (261 km on the odo)-gearbox.jpg
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 19:38   #12
BHPian

HI Karthi

knowingly they may not be going down like Skoda.

BUT definitely all manufacturers now are designing their components in highly optimized way so that Quality is just sufficient to get the job done by that component, longevity and additional durability is NOT accounted for.

In above philosophy Maruti has perfected its engineering, while other manufacturers offten go wrong in such optimization.

The result is unexpectedly low durability of one or more component.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
I don't mean to be offensive here, but looking at the present circumstances, it looks like Hyundai is slowly changing form into another Skoda in disguise.

Three horror stories and all of them around the same time period means that something is just not right with the Verna.I just hope Hyundai announces an official recall of the Verna's out there in the near future, as you don't want to lose your hard earned reputation!

Also, one thing I've observed common in all the three issues so far is the fact that each issue has popped up just days after the delivery was done.This just makes me wonder if there's something wrong in Hyundai's plant!

Whatever the issue may be, I hope it is solved as quickly as possible, as we just don't want another Skoda story in the market.

Cheers,
Karthi.stark
Old 12th October 2018, 20:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Okay, I know how it feels, My Swift Diesel had multiple clutch changes and a pair of synchronizer failure as early as 8 and 10 thousand km on its life ( which btw is just a few months with the running the car does), but stuff like this happens sometimes, as long as the manufacturer is fixing it FOC with brand new parts, don't' sweat too much.

With all those misfortunes with multiple service station visits in the first few months of my Swift Diesels life, I thought to myself what have I got myself into, its been 10 years and 1 lakh 61 thousand km with the same car and she is as reliable as ever.

Don't worry, after its fixed, enjoy the new car and forget about this bad episode.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 08:14   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to the owner for providing the final update!

Quote:
Hello,

An update and hopefully the final one.

Got the car back yesterday with a brand new gearbox. So after more than a month, finally the 2nd gearbox arrived on Monday (22 Oct) and the car was delivered to me yesterday (Oct 24).

It seems the earlier assurances of expedited processes were not really honored and the second gearbox took longer to arrive than the first. However, in the end, it did arrive and they managed to fit it in 2 days. A 20 km trial was taken and the car was handed over to me post that. The Service Adviser also accompanied me for a trial taken by me for around 7-10 km. I was satisfied and there was no dreaded "stuck in the 4th gear feeling" while driving the car.

I again pressed for the 5th year warranty and have also written the same on the feedback form which will go directly to Hyundai, but it remains to be seen If I would actually get it. Again, got assurances from the floor manager that he will try for it.

For the first gearbox fiasco, it turns out they accidentally sent a wrong gearbox of the older Verna and hence, it would not fit. So Hyundai guys themselves were not sure at first what component was sent (instead of the needed one). A goof up like this from a company which is at the No 2 position is not expected.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks Team-BHP.
MT Gearbox failure on brand new Hyundai Verna (261 km on the odo)-edited.jpeg
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 10:30   #15
Team-BHP Support

Interesting, I thought the VIN number would ensure all correct parts would be provided. Looks like AGILE and excessive speed etc are leading to major inaccuracies!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed