Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 12:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
I am facing the exact same issue in my 2011 diesel type 2 for the last one week. Car has done 69k and always serviced at A$$.
Did you find any resolution?
Unfortunately, Toyota India does not bother to answer or address. Every time I send them an E-Mail, they will call back and ask the same details and ask me a Question if they should take this as a Complaint or Request This has repeated 3-4 times.

I was in no mood to pay 12 K so got a part-time fix by getting this push button installed.
Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment-whatsapp-image-20181112-12.06.40-pm.jpeg

Here's how it works

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th November 2018 at 12:21.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 12:33   #32
BHPian

Re: Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

I have a 2010 Fortuner and if i remember correctly the Spiral cable was changed in the 3rd year and was covered under extended warranty. During the time at ASC when mine was getting changed, another Fortuner owner dropped in with horn not working. He was also advised for the Spiral cable change. So i guess this is a problem which Toyota must be definitely aware of.
Old 20th November 2018, 23:42   #33
BHPian

Hello Friends,
just came across this thread, informative, thanks.

I have Fortuner 2015 3.0 4WD, and it seems this part is 843060K051 is common across many Toyota vehicles as mentioned at Toyota-Parts-Connect.in

- I have Extended Warranty for 4-5 yrs, will it be covered in that ?? (if unfortunately the part dies)

- AliExpress has several listings of this part - search "Toyota Fortuner Combination Switch Coil" or "843060K051", all in range of INR 1000 (Indian Rupees One Thousand only!). Few links for reference :

Ref-1 / Ref-2 / Ref-3

advisable to buy from AliExpress ?

regards,
Pranav
Old 21st November 2018, 08:53   #34
BHPian

Scary

I have 2012 version fortuner 4wd MT, just got this problem started about a month back. Currently in WB and nearest workshop is 200 km away. This is the first time this problem occurred in my car.

I recently changed my horns from factory fitted to megasonics about 4 months ago, can it be a result of this change also?

Does anyone in the forum has the same problem in factory fitted horn too, what I doubt is that the cable might not be able to take load of a heavier horn and decay slowly. Am asking as I did never had this problem till I had stock horn.

Can we all together raise the level of this problem via TBHP medium and get the eyes and ear open of Toyota India??
Old 21st November 2018, 11:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hello Friends,
just came across this thread, informative, thanks.

I have Fortuner 2015 3.0 4WD, and it seems this part is 843060K051 is common across many Toyota vehicles as mentioned at Toyota-Parts-Connect.in

- I have Extended Warranty for 4-5 yrs, will it be covered in that ?? (if unfortunately the part dies)

- AliExpress has several listings of this part - search "Toyota Fortuner Combination Switch Coil" or "843060K051", all in range of INR 1000 (Indian Rupees One Thousand only!). Few links for reference :

Ref-1 / Ref-2 / Ref-3

advisable to buy from AliExpress ?

regards,
Pranav
Would request members to share if anyone has bought this aliexpress.
Initially I wasn't bothered and thought of it as a way to avoid unnecessary honking. Used to turn the steering when needed to horn. But am finding it to be safety concern now.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 21st November 2018 at 11:18.
Old 21st November 2018, 12:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendagar View Post
just got this problem started about a month back. Currently in WB and nearest workshop is 200 km away. This is the first time this problem occurred in my car.

I recently changed my horns from factory fitted to megasonics about 4 months ago, can it be a result of this change also?
Best will be to first change to OE horns and then raise the complaint under warranty.

Meanwhile, I continue to get calls from Bots working in call centre asking about feedback on how they addressed to the complaint which appears to be closed at their end.
Old 23rd November 2018, 07:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

My brother has 2012 4WD MT Fortuner. He is also facing this problem of horn not working when steering is straight. Horn only works when the steering is turned.

This is robbery from Toyota to not to accept fault in their parts and force customers to pay atrocious money for the part.

People who have bought from outside, can someone share links to me from where to buy ? I am keen on ordering this part.
Old 5th December 2018, 07:35   #38
BHPian

+1 to this list.

My 2011 Innova horn too does not work when steering is pointed straight. Works when the steering is turned. Am in no mood to spend 15K for Toyota's incompetence (not a fan of their much-praised service either, I may have been unlucky).

Any after-market solutions to get this fixed? The part number seems to be confusing. Based on the Toyota Genuine Parts site, both of the following seem to be compatible
- 843060K021
- 843060K051

Further, would I need to buy the spring assembly or cable? There are 2 of these

Spring Assembly
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8430...867634730.html

Cable
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8430...882456161.html

Not sure, which one to get to fix my problem. Each of these, cost under 10 USD on AliExpress and makes the 15K charged by Toyota India even more seem like daylight robbery. Anyone on this forum who has procured this part from AliExpress and did it solve this issue?
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:43   #39
BHPian

It is this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
+1 to this list.

- 843060K051
I took my car to the service station and they mentioned this part.
I have ordered 2 units from different sellers on aliexpress.
I'll fix it and share review
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 19:02   #40
BHPian

Quote:
It is this one

I took my car to the service station and they mentioned this part.
I have ordered 2 units from different sellers on aliexpress.
I'll fix it and share review
I installed the part yesterday evening and its working perfectly fine. The 2 units I got from different sellers (& prices) turned out to be exactly the same.
I got it installed at the Toyota service station- paid 361- took under 10 mins.
They were clearly disappointed about me getting part from outside and said its low quality but did their job sincerely.
So approximately 1-1.1 k is the cost and takes 10 mins. Even if it works for a year I thinks its cost effective. I have a spare unit with me. Will keep it in reserve.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 19:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I installed the part yesterday evening and its working perfectly fine. The 2 units I got from different sellers (& prices) turned out to be exactly the same.
Thanks for the feedback. So should I order from here

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8430...7-16fef91551a1

Normally, Toyota dealerships won't agree to replace the cable, what did they mention on the Invoice?
Old 28th December 2018, 21:27   #42
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I had the same problem till last week and ordered the same part number as mentioned above from Aliexpress. The problem that I faced was that the part number 0K050 mentioned above does not come with Airbag sensor installed, one need to get that removed from OEM spring assembly to the one received from Aliexpress. I live in a protected wildlife scantuary and the nearest Toyota ASC is 150 KM's from here. There was no way I could have got the airbag sensor changed to assembly.

Tried all possible combinations and finally got help from dear friend Ahmed Siddiqui who shares the same TFOG (Toyota Fortuners Owner Group) WhatsApp group.

I am happy to say on records that it turned out to be a very small DIY into the original OEM Spiral assembly and the horn again started singing in 15 minutes. No change is required whatsoever. Everything else also working like a charm.

I would be writing a small paragraph on the said DIY in the forum on the next opportunity I get. Anyone who is in urgent requirement of the DIY can pm me his contact number. Would call him ASAP

Regards
naveendagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 21:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks for the feedback. So should I order from here

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8430...7-16fef91551a1

Normally, Toyota dealerships won't agree to replace the cable, what did they mention on the Invoice?
I got these 2 (incl above)

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cbUfBuYr

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/gX9evVd

both were exactly the same so I don’t remember which one was installed.

the invoice mentioned Labour for spiral cable R&R ( 306+ taxes). Initially they said its against policy, but a bit of convincing and they agreed. I reiterated that I have been a repeat customer( many innovas in family) and all cars have always been maintained by them. I have been forced to source outside because of unreasonable price. I asked them to recommend a fng as I didn’t know any and then they said okay we’ll do it. Very nice of them.
I realised that installation is fairly simple. I didn’t try outside because I had no knowledge. Should not be a problem in bigger cities. Though I feel it was cheaper as well - fng would have charged higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment-39269959a23742b295683b623ab6fb9a.jpeg  

vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 22:24   #44
BHPian

Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

This becomes scary not only from
an ownership perspective however from a passenger perspective who use Innovas as cabs. Mostly these cabs are used during family outststion trips and definitely the front passenger seat will get occupied. Should we check with travel agency whether their Innova cabs have horn issue?

Last edited by couswheels : 28th December 2018 at 22:28.
Old 11th February 2019, 23:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendagar View Post
I am happy to say on records that it turned out to be a very small DIY into the original OEM Spiral assembly and the horn again started singing in 15 minutes. No change is required whatsoever. Everything else also working like a charm.

I would be writing a small paragraph on the said DIY in the forum on the next opportunity I get. Anyone who is in urgent requirement of the DIY can pm me his contact number.
Naveen,
Would you be able to kindly share details on the DIY? I ordered the replacement part from Ali Express, but unfortunately got damaged in transit. While I got my amount refunded, would want to try out the DIY fix instead of trying to replace the part.

Most Viewed