Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2019, 00:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

few days back I discussed this matter with service advisor at Millennium Toyota (Mira Rd), he said that have replaced few times this part under warranty and also under extended warranty, so not to worry !

Just in case I had ordered this part from AliExpress and parcel has come, I noticed the part number printed is 84306-0K050 (instead of the above-mentioned 84306-0K051; maybe 50/51 are both same ??)
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:12   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Poor quality spiral cables used by Toyota India? It can affect airbag deployment

Times like these make me fall in love with this forum again and again. Whatever may be the issue, there is information about it on the forum - a whole thread in this case!

Quote:
Our Petrol innova had this issue of Horn which won’t work when the steering is straight, it does work when it’s turned. Dealership gave an estimate of 15-20 K, I will try to find.
Faced the exact same issue in my 2011 Altis done 90k kms. I thought it would be a minor wiring issue and took it to the nearest FNG who said that this was most likely due to this cable in the steering and I ought to get it done at Toyota after sales. The guys at Toyota gave me the same 2 options:
1. Get the cable changed - cost 12k.
2. Get an additional wire installed for the Horn with a switch near the steering. One it would have looked ugly and second this cable also controls the airbag and ICE functions from the steering as per Toyota guy. So didn't want to take the risk and got the cable replaced.

If only I would have searched for the issue here before, then would have ordered the part from Ali-express.
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
. <snip>..

If only I would have searched for the issue here before, then would have ordered the part from Ali-express.
IMHO, it is always better to go OEM on safety or performance critical equipment

You want the equipment to definitely work the one time in a million that it needs to. Saving a few bucks now at the cost of that is false economy

It also probably absolves Toyota of any legal liability if you go the Ali Express route.

Why is there no recall from Toyota if this is such a prevalent problem on such a critical component?

Is there anything we can do to force the issue?
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:39   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Why is there no recall from Toyota if this is such a prevalent problem on such a critical component?

Is there anything we can do to force the issue?
I am sure it is fairly common since the FNG guy took less than 2 minutes to arrive at this conclusion.
Accountability with our prevalent laws is not even plausible specially in this case where the odometer is reaching 90k kms after 8 years of usage. So I am guessing most people just take it as part of wear and tear.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Just in case I had ordered this part from AliExpress and parcel has come, I noticed the part number printed is 84306-0K050 (instead of the above-mentioned 84306-0K051; maybe 50/51 are both same ??)
Did you end up installing this ? I have also ordered one from Aliexpress.
Old 12th June 2019, 14:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Did you end up installing this ? I have also ordered one from Aliexpress.
No. The Aliexpress part is still at home. But as I said in earlier post, my nearest Toyota workshop assured to get it changed in warranty if there was a problem. I plan to go for regular service in few days, and would ask to have a check on this cable.
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:31   #52
BANNED

Thank god TEAM BHP is there in existence and has answer for my problem

I just encountered this spiral cable issue in my innova after 85k km and 7 years.

Has anyone bought recently from aliexpress? or is going to order please let me know , and how long does Aliexpress take to deliver
Old 27th December 2019, 17:31   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Thank god TEAM BHP is there in existence and has answer for my problem

I just encountered this spiral cable issue in my innova after 85k km and 7 years.

Has anyone bought recently from aliexpress? or is going to order please let me know , and how long does Aliexpress take to deliver
HI Team BHPians !!

I got the spiral cable from Aliexpress ,i have a spare too,In case anyone needs it please feel free to ping me.

Disclaimer - i am not auto spares dealer , i bought it via aliexpress and just extending a help for fellow BHpians

Thank you Team-bhp , if this thread was not there, i would have spent somewhere between 6 to 12k for this spiral cable.
joshguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 14:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got the spiral cable from Aliexpress ,i have a spare too,In case anyone needs it please feel free to ping me.
I need one, can you block it for me ? I had ordered one from AliExpress but it didn't fit in the placeholder.

Have sent you a PM as well.
Old 29th December 2019, 15:58   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
I had ordered one from AliExpress but it didn't fit in the placeholder.

Can you guys post the respective links so that we know what to order correctly?
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 13:25   #56
BANNED

Quote:
I need one, can you block it for me ? I had ordered one from AliExpress but it didn't fit in the placeholder.

Have sent you a PM as well.
Sure blocked for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can you guys post the respective links so that we know what to order correctly?
Here it is

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3287...282d4c4dKEt8le
joshguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 17:55   #57
BANNED

Quote:
HI Team BHPians !!

Disclaimer - i am not auto spares dealer , i bought it via aliexpress and just extending a help for fellow BHpians

Thank you Team-bhp , if this thread was not there, i would have spent somewhere between 6 to 12k for this spiral cable.
This Spiral cable is still available with me , if someone needs do PM me
Old 21st June 2020, 03:08   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Curious to know what did you end up doing.
Please do pardon my late reply. Life happens and sometimes you get very stuck.

It is running as is. The air flow direction knob is stuck at the position where it throws air at the front driver and passenger. I use the other set of louvers located in the dash to direct the flow away or towards and higher or lower.

I do follow the same precautions that you have mentioned. I take a pencil or different coloured pen and sit with the SA and write down the reason for each part and labour as well. I would have already become aware of these parts as I stay with the vehicle and not in the lounge. Thus I am able to track even the grease used for calipers.

Many thanks for such a beautiful reply. Take care. I stay in the North part of Bangalore. I have found that the Express service at Peenya is good. Have a few good working high level contacts at Ravindu now. Do let me know if you require any further information.

Love the vehicle though! Simply the best!

Last edited by Sheel : 14th July 2020 at 17:31. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Doc Maanava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 17:20   #59
BHPian

Today I happened to read this thread the link for which was given by GTO in his post for another thread( Etios airbags not deployed). Having read above posts, I am admitting that I myself have faced similar spiral cable issue in 2015 when my Innova was just about a year old.

The lights, horn all had stopped working abruptly without any apparent reason and when my father took the vehicle to Authorized Service Center in Chandigarh, they gave a very unique reply that it has happened due to a sacred thread which was tied around the steering column hence it made the spiral cable go bad.

The same costed us approx 12000/- back then in 2015. Since I was not in city when it had happened , upon learning I had serious question marks on the logic given by Toyota and also that they didn't change it under warranty etc as well.

Now reading this thread and multiple accounts of people its clear that its quite a common problem which Toyota is not admitting and shamelessly ignoring. Sad state.
amsidhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 00:22   #60

Mine is 2010 model Fortuner, took it for 130K service today. Reporting similar spiral cable issue for which the horn stopped working when the steering is at centre position. Horn works when the wheel is turned left or right.

The service centre folks (Viva Toyota, Airport Road Bangalore) are well aware of this issue. They jumped up to offer for spiral cable replacement as soon as I explained the problem. Cost of replacement was ~14K inclusive taxes. So, didn't get the replacement done and came back after regular service. If anyone in Bangalore has got this issue fixed from a trusted FNG, please let me know. Else will go the Toyota route after a month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks