Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2007, 13:14   #16
BHPian

so i just came back after giving my car to AVG, they said they would try to give it to me by today evening.

They said it might be the sensor. I guess they meant the O2 sensor.

C'mon guys some input, what could be the problem? THere is a loss of pickup and timing variation, what could be the reason?
Old 9th February 2007, 14:48   #17
BHPian

>> And another thing, my engine gets awfully hot, even after use for just a couple of minutes. But the heat indicator will always be at the center.

Did you check the coolant? The temperature sensor measures the temperature of the coolant, and not the engine (AFAIK), so if you have very low amount of coolant in your car, the sensor will read OK, but the engine would be seething under the hood.

Get the clutch plate checked too. Poor clutch functioning will cause your engine to overwork.
Old 9th February 2007, 16:36   #18
BHPian

I have full amount of coolant, i believe that is not a problem, its normal for this engine to behave this way.

BUt guys help me out on the timing variation, what could be the reason for the timing variation?
Old 9th February 2007, 17:34   #19
Team-BHP Support

If you go on high load, for example if your car gets stuck and you try hard or drive with handbrake on, and then get a burnt smell, its the clutch plates.
If its keeps on coming after the job well done, then you are best going to a service center.
Old 9th February 2007, 17:48   #20
BHPian

no the smell comes from the exhaust, and i have given my car to the service centre, they said a minimum of one day, and i need my car urgently.

Just hoping to point the service guys at the right direction.

I just called them and they said they are changing the timing variation, before i could ask for any details, the line got cut.
Old 9th February 2007, 22:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Got that burning/stinking prob too.. the MUL guys here told me i was hard on the clutch so its gettin burnt. But it comes all the time, most noticeable in a car shed/garage...

So its the catcon smell?
Old 9th February 2007, 23:52   #22
BHPian

hi karthik,
Are u sure the smell comes from the exhaust, then we have similar problems.

I had called the service guy today and he told me that there was a problems with the valve, when i asked which valve, he said fuel valve had a problem with proper clearance.

And after that they had to check the ignitors, i guess he was talking about the spark plugs.

Hopefully he said i'll get the car before noon tomorrow?
Old 10th February 2007, 13:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well, guess i'll get it checked again. Its a stinking smell. Will let u know what happens... But still don't think its with the clutch
Old 10th February 2007, 14:29   #24
BHPian

karthik, i don't think it's ur clutch.

I have a smell like that of acid coming from the exhaust, very noticeable when backing into a garage or car porch.

Have u noticed any loss in pickup, i didn;t eventually, but then there was very poor pickup later.

Hopefully i'll have my car by 4:00pm.
Old 10th February 2007, 19:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
I have a smell like that of acid coming from the exhaust, very noticeable when backing into a garage or car porch.

Have u noticed any loss in pickup, i didn;t eventually, but then there was very poor pickup later.

Hopefully i'll have my car by 4:00pm.
I dunno.... like i said earlier the smell in very noticeable when inside a garage or any closed area in my case. I didn't notice any loss in pickup or anytin as of now touchwood.

The smell has been there since i got the car and still exists after 1500kms.
Old 11th February 2007, 13:39   #26
BHPian

i got the car yesterday afternoon,
i took a test drive with their service guys, the car has got its kick back.
Its all good now, but when i reached home backed into the car porch the smell was still there, not so evident, but was there, now i'm going to take it as it is, i'm going to assume that all swifts have this smell.

They said there was a fault with the fuel valve clearance, and they rectified it, and just that fixed the problem.

Now the car is really smooth, not even a minute jerk between gear changes, really good.

They also said they checked the sensors and all was good.
Old 11th February 2007, 13:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guess its better if i get a check up done as well...
Old 28th May 2007, 01:18   #28
BHPian

Now its official in my books.All Swifts stink.I had yet another encounter with a smelly Swift tonight.Was following a Swift very closely in a traffic jam.My car started sucking in that smell from the Swift's exhaust and I had to actually open up my windows,which did'nt help matters either.So I had to finally switch lanes to get rid of that stinky car.I am not following Swifts any more.I'd rather make them follow me and smell my exhaust .On a serious note, any updates on this "smelly" issue?
Old 11th January 2008, 03:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

well i had an issue with the after market cigrette lighter, it blew up a fuse once and i did have the burnt smell in my swift because of that!, just check for the after market ICE and lighter installs if they are not done properly there is always the stinking smell, the smell stopped right after i removed the lighter out!
Old 11th January 2008, 12:11   #30
BHPian

Apart from engaging handbrake, brake overheat, .. I suggest checking electricals as well. Start with looking at if all lights are functioning and if there is a difference in sound from horn.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks