Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 13:53   #1
BHPian

VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear

Dear members,

Recently, the brake discs on a Polo GT TSi owned by my me developed brake judder issue in merely 10,500 kilometres. I checked on this forum to find out this was a rare occurrence and realized that quite a few owners have faced this issue.
The reason for judder seems to be damaged discs and the corrective actions seems to be replacement of discs.

The purpose of this thread is to run a poll on this forum to find out how many owners have faced this same issue of prematurely damaged brake discs.
raman.aries is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:38   #2
BHPian

re: VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear

I have a 2015 Polo 1.5 diesel and started getting this issue when the odo was around 8k kms. Vibrations could be felt on the steering wheel and the floor when braking from > 80kmph. I just didn't have the patience to pursue this with VW for a warranty replacement and also since I heard that even the replaced rotors are facing this issue, I bought a set of Brembo red pads. Installed the pads with the stock rotors and the issue was fixed almost completely. I say almost, since there's still a wee bit of vibration felt on the floor, but it's manageable. Non-enthus may not even notice it.

The braking performance too improved as a bonus. On stock pads, I just didn't have the confidence to push the car on highways, not so with the Brembos. I've now crossed 38k kms and the pads and rotors still look good for another 25k kms.

This is a clear case of poor product quality and as usual VW is trying to sweep it under the carpet.

Last edited by BigBrad : 3rd October 2018 at 15:46.
BigBrad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 18:26   #3
BHPian

Like I mentioned in the other thread, in my GT TSI, the brake shudder started around 8.5k Kms and is felt under braking from speeds over 80 kmph. I had mentioned this to the SA in my last visit, but he shrugged it off saying it's ABS at work. I didn't have the time or energy to argue at that time, since I needed to get back to office. Until I read your post in the other thread, I wasn't aware the problem is so widespread.
I'm going to take it up with the ASC this weekend. Let's see how they respond.
GrandTourer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 22:47   #4
BHPian

re: VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear

The brake judder started at around 8-9k kms in my 2016 Vento which I bought brand new in April 2018. I lived with the judder until 25k kms. Last week my car crossed 25k kms and I replaced the pads with OE ones from VAG A$$ and now the judder is gone.

Didn't feel like there was a drop in braking efficiency hence decided to live with it.

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2018 at 08:11. Reason: typo
Asta_la_vista is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 14:19   #5
BHPian

Re: VAG cars (Polo, Vento, Rapid) - Premature brake disc wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
I have a 2015 Polo 1.5 diesel and started getting this issue when the odo was around 8k kms. Vibrations could be felt on the steering wheel and the floor when braking from > 80kmph. I just didn't have the patience to pursue this with VW for a warranty replacement and also since I heard that even the replaced rotors are facing this issue, I bought a set of Brembo red pads. Installed the pads with the stock rotors and the issue was fixed almost completely. I say almost, since there's still a wee bit of vibration felt on the floor, but it's manageable. Non-enthus may not even notice it.

The braking performance too improved as a bonus. On stock pads, I just didn't have the confidence to push the car on highways, not so with the Brembos. I've now crossed 38k kms and the pads and rotors still look good for another 25k kms.

This is a clear case of poor product quality and as usual VW is trying to sweep it under the carpet.
I agree with you. I think they are trying to sweep it under the carpet. I had to fight hard to get them agree for a disc replacement. They agreed to do it under "customer goodwill". I suspect thats another way of managing the issue when they do not want to accept the quality problem. I however asked if they can provide an assurance that the issue won't crop up again in another 10,000 kms. They reply till now is no.

I am trying to take it up with Volkswagen India to see if they have any reason or explanation for this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Like I mentioned in the other thread, in my GT TSI, the brake shudder started around 8.5k Kms and is felt under braking from speeds over 80 kmph. I had mentioned this to the SA in my last visit, but he shrugged it off saying it's ABS at work. I didn't have the time or energy to argue at that time, since I needed to get back to office. Until I read your post in the other thread, I wasn't aware the problem is so widespread.
I'm going to take it up with the ASC this weekend. Let's see how they respond.
I would recommend you to contact the VW customer care number right away and register the complaint with them. This would certainly help matters.

If you go to the dealership again directly they might turn you away giving you the following reasons.
1. Brakes are a wear and tear item and therefore not covered under warranty.
2. The warranty for brakes are only for 3000 kilometres
3. This is an automatic car and therefore it may be due to your driving style and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta_la_vista View Post
The brake judder started at around 8-9k kms in my 2016 Vento which I bought brand new in April 2018. I lived with the judder until 25k kms. Last week my car crossed 25k kms and I replaced the pads with OE ones from VAG A$$ and now the judder is gone.

Didn't feel like there was a drop in braking efficiency hence decided to live with it.
If I may ask, did you as the A$$ to change it under warranty and what was their response?
raman.aries is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 14:58   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

As mentioned in the Polo TSI thread, had the issue with discs at around 25k km. Service Center refused to do skimming and hence got it replaced. At around 40k, the issue again surfaced on the 2nd discs. This time got the discs skimmed at a multi brand center and that resolved the issue. Now the odo is at 47k and I have started to feel the shudder when braking from high speeds again. The car is in the service center for the 5th service and a disc replacement has been recommended. Since I skimmed it last time and given past history the issue will become worse soon. Hence have asked to replace.

This post has pictures of the discs before and after skimming

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th October 2018 at 15:03.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 15:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raman.aries View Post

If you go to the dealership again directly they might turn you away giving you the following reasons.
1. Brakes are a wear and tear item and therefore not covered under warranty.
2. The warranty for brakes are only for 3000 kilometres
3. This is an automatic car and therefore it may be due to your driving style and so forth.
If it were pads, may be but the disc has a certain expected working life. If the disc has an acceptable thickness but distorted shape - That ain't wear, its a poor design or poor manufacutring process. Discs should wear out, not distort unless you have been driving on a race track

Last edited by ajmat : 4th October 2018 at 16:03.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 16:18   #8
BHPian

I am writing on behalf of my friend who is facing the same issue in his Polo Tdi. The was a lining in his disks at around 15k kms. ASS said that it is due to stone but having it on both discs was not accepted. He got the discs replaced. After 10k kms again the same problem with same issue. The ASS said it is common with all cars and is due to heavy braking. My friend met another guy with his Vento. He claimed that he has got the discs replaced 3 times at every 10k kms as this problem arises with everyone.
Now my friend is in no mood to change the discs again so he is going for grinding as suggested by ASS.
This happend with a ASS in Gurgaon.
Prateek19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 18:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

I own a Polo, which has done close to 21K Kms till date. Discs and Pads are running fine.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 19:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
If I may ask, did you as the A$$ to change it under warranty and what was their response?
No. I didn't ask the A$$ to change it under warranty. I replaced the pads at my own cost.

Last edited by Asta_la_vista : 4th October 2018 at 19:37. Reason: Typo
Asta_la_vista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 19:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
As mentioned in the Polo TSI thread, had the issue with discs at around 25k km. Service Center refused to do skimming and hence got it replaced. At around 40k, the issue again surfaced on the 2nd discs. This time got the discs skimmed at a multi brand center and that resolved the issue. Now the odo is at 47k and I have started to feel the shudder when braking from high speeds again. The car is in the service center for the 5th service and a disc replacement has been recommended. Since I skimmed it last time and given past history the issue will become worse soon. Hence have asked to replace.

This post has pictures of the discs before and after skimming
I fear the same would happen to me. One of the guys at the dealership admitted that it would be better to go for aftermarket discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
I am writing on behalf of my friend who is facing the same issue in his Polo Tdi. The was a lining in his disks at around 15k kms. ASS said that it is due to stone but having it on both discs was not accepted. He got the discs replaced. After 10k kms again the same problem with same issue. The ASS said it is common with all cars and is due to heavy braking. My friend met another guy with his Vento. He claimed that he has got the discs replaced 3 times at every 10k kms as this problem arises with everyone.
Now my friend is in no mood to change the discs again so he is going for grinding as suggested by ASS.
This happend with a ASS in Gurgaon.
The same explanation of heavy/ panic braking was cited to me as well. I responded by asking why make cars with inadequate brakes? Provide better brakes and charge us for that as well instead of making us pay for new brake discs every 10,000kms. I couldn't get a response from them for that.
Old 5th October 2018, 22:43   #12
BHPian

My Vento TSI has clocked 45,000 km in two years. Third service is due. No brake problem, no judder. Driving style is sedate, no hard braking if I can avoid it.

Last edited by Guite : 5th October 2018 at 22:44.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 23:19   #13
BHPian

This is certainly not a rare occurrence. I have had my bit of brake judder issues at 25K and 50K respectively. Changed it the first time, but went for skimming the second time.

My original post on the subject (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)
kutts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 08:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

I too had to replace the brake rotors on my Skoda Rapid at 10k kms, under goodwill warranty, as the steering was vibrating under braking. After a lot of persuasion, Skoda paid agreed to pay 60 % and I paid 40% for replacing both the rotors and brake pads. The steering vibration problem was resolved after that.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 09:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had the problem of brake judder at around 34k kms. However good news is that the brake pads, discs for front left and right, including labour is only 5,500 in the showroom.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks