Team-BHP - Peculiar problem-gear shift rod
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Peculiar problem-gear shift rod (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/20290-peculiar-problem-gear-shift-rod.html)

Hi , after the last service I have been noticing this problem in my 1.6 Petra. it does not happen regularly but occasionally. The problem is this
when i slot the gear shift rod into the 3rd gear, i feel the rod scraping the ground. I have brought it to the notice of the Shaman servcie people, and they opened up the links etc and said everything is fine. I had this checked twice. I noticed this problem again twice yesterday. I don't know what to do. Can some auto gurus shed some light as to what needs to be checked and what could be happening?

thanks in anticipation

Can you pls explain this part:
Quote:

Originally Posted by shbhrao (Post 350298)
"i feel the rod scraping the ground.

What kind of sound do you hear?

Hi Condor

It is so trnasitory, sounds and feels like the rod is being dragged. And like I said it does not happen all the time. It has happened when I am shifting gears on the highway. If you just do it without starting the car, you don't notice it. I am just bothered because If I am driving at speeds and this happens, could it lead to some problem and be unsafe?

The rod cannot scrape the ground. probably, your clutch play needs to be adjusted.

Petra does not have the links, It works thro cable. Noway they can touch the ground. I too have a petra

Let me do some guess work.
When you are driving, and have your left hand on the gear knob, you some times feel a grinding feeling and noise. You are attributing it to the noise/feeling of something being dragged. Is it what you are getting? Please confirm.

If Yes, Please get the clutch checked. Any vibration on the clutch will be directly felt on the gear knob.

Also get the AC checked. Before that do this observation. Engage any gear, do not move the car. Keep the clutch depressed. and switch on the AC. and wait till the AC clutch engages. You can easily notice it, you will hear a click. If you start getting the noise/feeling immediately after the AC clutch engages and the noise is very minimal, do not worry about it . It is normal. If it is more and felt like it hurts your hand get is checked.

Do update when you are done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRC (Post 350565)
Petra does not have the links, It works thro cable. Noway they can touch the ground. I too have a petra

Let me do some guess work.
When you are driving, and have your left hand on the gear knob, you some times feel a grinding feeling and noise. You are attributing it to the noise/feeling of something being dragged. Is it what you are getting? Please confirm. -----NO DRC. That is not the case. I just feel and hear the dragging for a fraction of a second, when I move from the second to the third gear. I have never noticed it when i am moving to any other gears.

If Yes, Please get the clutch checked. Any vibration on the clutch will be directly felt on the gear knob.

Also get the AC checked. Before that do this observation. Engage any gear, do not move the car. Keep the clutch depressed. and switch on the AC. and wait till the AC clutch engages. You can easily notice it, you will hear a click. If you start getting the noise/feeling immediately after the AC clutch engages and the noise is very minimal, do not worry about it . It is normal. If it is more and felt like it hurts your hand get is checked.

Do update when you are done.

I will check the AC as syou suggested, but the AC is on all the time when I am driving and I normally do not feel this.

Are you pressing the clutch completely. All the way to the floor. Sometimes, if not pressed fully, there is a bit of a shudder/ 'krrrrrrr' sound....

Ajay

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajayclicks (Post 350605)
Are you pressing the clutch completely. All the way to the floor. Sometimes, if not pressed fully, there is a bit of a shudder/ 'krrrrrrr' sound....

Ajay

I had the same question. In fact Petra/Palio clutch is quite deep.

no it is not the grating sound. I know the grating sound, It happens sometimes with the reverse.

This is very very transient, for a fraction of a second, happens only when the rod is being shifted to the 3rd gear. Does not happen when moving to any other gears. Also does not happen all the time. I have noticed it when sometimes when I am driving and trying to accelerate and shift from 2nd to 3rd. I wrote to Mangesh Kodalkar (from Fiat) and he has sent me an email saying he will ask Shaman to coordinate with me to recheck the car and daignose. Hope they can tell me what it is this time.

I agree with sivdas and ajayclicks. Especially on highways, where you are cruising peacefully, there is a tendency not to press the clutch that hard to disengage completely.

Hi there, i still need to take the car for a diagnosis.
But just out of curiosity, can anyone explain in simple langauage how the gear and the cluth work while shifting into different gears what part moves etc.

thanks

Does it happen while normal driving? or mostly when you drive it out of the garage in the morning?