Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2007, 10:33   #1

New Baleno does only 40-50 in 2nd gear.

Hi guys,

After after a long and careful analysis and reading multiple threads on TBHP, I bought a Baleno Lxi last month. I've done 1500Km so far and and have a little concern here.

I had been very careful during the first 1000Km and never crossed 2500 revvs. Avoided sudden breaking, rapid acceleration or maintaining constant speeds as much as I could. I understand that the throttle response should improve as I put on more miles but as of now, I can touch only around 45Km/h on the speedo in 2nd gear and there's no acceleration after around 2000-2200revvs. The tacho may show 3K+ but there's no acceleration after that. In 3rd gear, its around 65km/h with a lot of pushing and in 4th I have touched 80km/h (though it could have gone further). In 5ht things are smoother but I haven't gone past 115Km/h yet (still keeping it around 3000 revvs).

Initially, I was changin gears betweem 1700-2000 revvs. For the past two days, I have been taking it to 2500 revvs & above in every gear and feel that gradually the engine is opening up and there is smoother accelaration and the top end speed in each gear is slightly better now.

From what the manual says and what I have seen in many posts here I believe 100Km/h in the 2ng gear is possible. I don't expect a new car to achieve that figure rightaway but the gap here (50kmph-100kmph) seems quite huge to me.

Please provide your inputs and let me know how can I improve the acceleration and if the current figures are normal for a new baleno (with no high revving so far).

Thanks
Vaibhav
Old 8th January 2007, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats wierd..!!!!
Actually Baleno comes to life after 2700 RPM...Thats where all the fun is....
get the car checked by some MASS n update us...

Hope u are filling up your Baleno from reputed pumps..
KP

Last edited by kpzen : 8th January 2007 at 11:44.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Not at all normal.
I ripped her for the first time at around the 1020 km mark. She easily hit 100 in 2nd.
You say there's no acceleration beyond the 3K mark. Have you revved till the redline in 2nd and still reaching only 50kmph ?
Old 8th January 2007, 11:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Take your car back to the company for an ecu check, looks like you are not getting fuel above 2500 rpm.
Old 8th January 2007, 12:49   #5

@kpzen
I can try a different pump but I doubt if its the fuel. Will give it a try for sure.

@shuvc
I din't red line it but at around what rpm do you think it should touch 100 in 2nd?

@Psycho
I can push it further and see if it picks up after a few hundred revvs.

But, even if it does go higher, its not easy and the engine sounds really loud. Will try it again today and post the findings.
Old 8th January 2007, 12:57   #6
elf
BANNED

This may sound silly, but check your floor mats & carpeting. Are they thick or bunched up around the throttle pedal? Also, if both are of the normal thickness, then get your throttle cable checked. It may be defective.

I had a similar feeling on my Mom's Alto 1.1 & found it was a bunched up floor mat combined with an extra thick rubber mat wedged under the pedal.
Old 8th January 2007, 12:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

Or like elf's car you may have only 3 cylinder's firing.
Old 8th January 2007, 13:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Take your car back to the company for an ecu check, looks like you are not getting fuel above 2500 rpm.
Going by Psycho's line of thinking here.. could you tell us what is the fuel efficiency your car is showing... if you have a record of the fuel consumption right from the first time you filled it nothing like it.
Old 8th January 2007, 13:45   #9

Thanks for the suggestions guys..I believe, the floor mats are okay, but would check again.

BTW, here are the latest findings.. Just came back from a test run..

2nd gear max 85Kmph - 5250revvs (din't dare to take it any further, the engine was way too loud and sounded like it would probably blowup if I push it any further.)

3rd gear - 100kmph @ 4250 revvs
4th gear - 100Kmph @ 3250 revvs

Please comment!!
Old 8th January 2007, 13:49   #10

To add to the above..the acceleration is quick uptil I see 45-50 on the speedo, after this its slower. I obeserved this in 2nd gear only, don't think its the same in other gears.
Old 8th January 2007, 15:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabS View Post
2nd gear max 85Kmph - 5250revvs (din't dare to take it any further, the engine was way too loud and sounded like it would probably blowup if I push it any further.)
Sounds like a ignition / fuel problem... does it sound like a knock? will be hard to tell please take it back to the showroom as soon as possible.
Old 8th January 2007, 15:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To add to the above..the acceleration is quick uptil I see 45-50 on the speedo, after this its slower. I obeserved this in 2nd gear only, don't think its the same in other gears.
It can not be different in other gears. Only the speeds for other gears will change based on gear ratios. At any given RPM, engine will always create same torque irrespective of gear engaged.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:02   #13

No, it doesn't sound like a knock but the regular engine sound which you hear even when you revv it at idling (lets say 80% or more throttle pressed in neutral). Its just that its seemed too loud to me. If the engine is capable of touching 100 in 2nd then I don't think anyone would like to push it that far with such loud engine noise..and it seemed like too much of work for the engine....Sounds scary.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:07   #14

BTW, can anyone please confirm how off are the rpm figures that I mentioned. Do you see similar figures on your cars?

2nd gear max 85Kmph - 5250revvs (din't take it further)
3rd gear - 100kmph @ 4250 revvs
4th gear - 100Kmph @ 3250 revvs
Old 8th January 2007, 17:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the engine is capable of touching 100 in 2nd then I don't think anyone would like to push it that far with such loud engine noise..and it seemed like too much of work for the engine....Sounds scary.
Maybe, just maybe you are yet to get used to it's sound. I had a similar experience though I got over it quickly by giving the benefit of doubt to the engine. Since then I've enjoyed it.

Which car did you drive before this ? Are you used to high revving engines ?

Although what still doesn't fit in it the apparent loss of power after 3K rpm. You should take @Psycho's advise and visit the dealer.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks