Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 21:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago/Tigor AMT: Driveability issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
This is a very serious safety issue. You think the car can make it and spot a gap in traffic and try to turn, engine wont respond and you are caught in middle.
Ditto, exact same problem. It's a safety issue for sure but so far TATA have not taken any action.

Another owner I know from Munnar has sold his 5 month old Tiago for 5.1 Lakhs and got himself a Jazz CVT.

If TATA is not going to make a recall or respond:

1) I will sell the car like other owners facing this problem.

2) Burn it on my channel so that other owners are warned and it gets TATA's attention too. Contemplating going to gofundme.com for this.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th November 2018 at 00:04. Reason: Quote & post fixed.
stanjohn123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 18:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Ditto, exact same problem. It's a safety issue for sure but so far TATA have not taken any action.

Another owner I know from Munnar has sold his 5 month old Tiago for 5.1 Lakhs and got himself a Jazz CVT.

If TATA is not going to make a recall or respond:

1) I will sell the car like other owners facing this problem.

2) Burn it on my channel so that other owners are warned and it gets TATA's attention too. Contemplating going to gofundme.com for this.
I am quiet tempted for a car swap as well, sadly have lot of vacations planned, can't sacrifice money for this mistake and miss out on so much more Not to mention Tigor's resale compared to Tiago(%of depreciation).

No matter how much noise we make, some fanboys will make sure we don't get what we deserved. When I mentioned that I have so many issues with my car and I am thinking of selling it, some guy jumped out of nowhere in the discussion and told me that his car has zero issues! So does that mean I am lying or will those words make our cars to repair themselves? I have put my money at the wrong brand at the wrong time.

Swapping your car if it is financially possible is not a wrong move, we could at least sleep peacefully.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 11:06   #33
BHPian

Just now at service center. Engineer drove and confirmed the problem. They will be checking the amt module apparently. Will update you on progress and if the fix will or shall work.
Old 20th November 2018, 11:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Well i own a Tigor AMT XZA since last 1 year. My running has been quite low (6k kms only till date).

On the topic being discussed, here are my observations with regards to negatives so far:

1. Burning smell issue
==============
The burning smell issue was very predominant in my car till around 4.5-5k kms on the clock. The interior would smell of burning rubber (or such substance) on crossing 3k rpm or 80 kmph.

However, good news is that the smell has resolved to maximum extent now. Only occasionally on crossing 90 to 100 kmph, there is feeble smell.

Bad news is that TATA A.S.S. was clueless about burning smell and why it happens.

2. 1st gear acceleration
===============
I have observed that when the car is warmed up, and if say i am starting off from a traffic signal, on lifting the leg from the brake pedal and pressing accelerator gently, there is very gradual buildup of response from the engine, almost a 1 to 1.5 second lag.

3. Reversing on a (upward)slope
=====================
This is the most irritating part of my driving experience. On reversing the car even with a slight upward slope, the throttle response is poor and the car doesn't move an inch. However on giving the car a good amount of throttle, the car suddenly lunges backwards. A potentially dangerous situation if some bike or scooty suddenly comes behind. Need to be very careful with throttle input and handbrake use in such situations.

4. Jerky power delivery
===============
Now this issue is very random. On occasions, while driving in city mode with light throttle input, there are some random "pauses" in between the in gear acceleration. Kind of best described as "jerky" power delivery.

P.S. Sport mode is really a blessing in this car. There is minimum effort required in overtaking, specially in city traffic and throttle response is crisp. The downside being more head nod associated with the AMT gearbox compared to that in City mode.

P.P.S Climbing inclines, atleast those in shopping malls and underground parkings, has not been an issue with me so far. I use either Sport mode or manual mode in such situations though.

P.P.P.S I come from a manual driving background (15+ years experience) before moving to AMT. Perhaps, i may not notice more intricate issues related to AMT gearbox as say someome coming from a newbie background or conventional AT experience and moving to AMT.

Last edited by DCEite : 20th November 2018 at 11:59.
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 12:53   #35
BHPian

My 2 paise on the same:
19 months with the XZA (1st batch) and 10k kms on the odo: A few lessons I have learnt / few observations.

1. B2B situations - just release the foot from B pedal. Let the creep mode do its job FIRST. Then if required lightly tap the A pedal. (CITY mode).

2. If in City mode - don't attempt spirited driving. The gearbox starts lagging and suddenly upshifts in the middle of your acceleration zone. If you are squeezing in gaps or revving - go in Sports mode

3. WHILE the gears upshift - A pedal input is a strict NO. Car tends to suddenly surge / lurch forward after the upshift

4. Reverse mode - DEFINITELY, no matter what you try - throttle input is unstable. Car just speeds up unnecessarily at the slightest tap. Someone who is not aware or not used to it can be caught off-guard. (although the brakes bite in well, so may not always result in a crash).

5. Hill Hold works ONLY if handbrake is engaged. On a steep slope, engage handbrake, shift to A and when you release the handbrake the car 'holds' itself for 2 seconds giving you time to lift your foot off the B pedal and move to the A pedal.

6. When trying to climb a slope and if creep mode doesn't seem to be working as well you one would wish - changing city to sports does NOT help. Best to just swipe left to manual - works like a charm.

7. I am stupid enough to prefer driving this car in Manual everytime I sit. I enjoy it best that way. No stress on the left foot and I can still enjoy the powerband (the little that it has) and change as per my wish and extract better mileage too.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 14:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago/Tigor AMT: Driveability issues

Quick update : Left my car for second service, they just drove it for a km or so and told me that car doesn't seem to have the issue I told them! I reported issues in traffic, they drove it on empty roads. They just took one or two minute to listen to my issues. Just left the care and came back in disappointment.

Now I understand OP's frustration related to acknowledgement of the issues, its almost like owners are lying about issues on a perfectly made car!

My driving experience : 9 years, multiple cars: petrol/diesel, SUVs, MUVs, anything you can think of! add few motorcycles ranging from 2 strokes to latest KTM 200. All this and they think I can't use the throttle properly ?

Hope I get financially blessing of some kind soon, can't wait to get rid of this car.

P.S: They wrote the issue down after insisting, will update if the technical team took it seriously and resolved it.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 20th November 2018 at 14:31.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 08:25   #37
BHPian

Update. not received the car yet.

Got a call at 6 pm evening ( i was not following up on purpose - wanted to see their updates) saying the usual story- car wash is broken and hence cannot deliver the car, will deliver tomorrow etc and the amt ISSUE is fixed.

I asked for an explanation of what they have done to fix the issue and the guy was clueless. I said boss, I have to write to Tata Motors about the issue and he said he will check with his senior and get back. Not got back as of 8 AM this morning.

Let us see the turn of events today.

High time TATA appoints another dealer in Trivandrum. The only one here will run them into the ground.

I will never ever buy a TATA vehicle again ( this coming from a life long enthusiast who has owned over various points of time- Indica, original nano, manza, zest, safari storme and nano xta)
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 11:57   #38
BHPian

I own a Tiago XZA April 2017 (1st Batch) It has around 8k on the ODO. Issues faced till data:-

1. Burning smell issue:- This issue occurs only on spirited driving. The TATA ASS assured me that there is nothing to worry about and it will go after 2-3 oil changes. As it is mostly driven by my father, who is a sedate driver. Haven't got a chance to test the issue in recent times

2. AC stops working in city mode:- In extreme hot summers, the AC compressor tends to cut off after a while, even if the ambient temperature is still high. Issue reported to Service Center, they just clean the air filter everytime, still the issue is persistent.
My Solution: Keep the car in Sports Mode, until the cabin cools and then turn to sports mode. Works for me

3. Chrome coming off the driver side door handle: Chrome is coming off and the white plastic is exposed. The Service center has promised to replace the handle under warranty and the part would be available at next service.

4. Handbrake issue:- This is the issue which INHO causes the inconsistent power delivery in initial gears. The issue is that when you release the handbrake, it has to be kept at a certain level. If you push the handbrake lower, the handbrake engages again (The handbrake warning sign appears). Also, whenever this happens, the creep function does not work and sometimes I see the inconsistent power delivery in 1st gear. I've to make sure to release the handbrake, or lift the handbrake to a level when the handbrake warning sign is off.

5. Inconsistent power delivery:- Apart from the handbrake issue, I also observed that the power delivery was consistent when tank is full. As and when the fuel level drops, there is a drop in power delivery, such that it feels that engine is starved of fuel. This issue got better after the first oil change.
rish_arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 12:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish_arora View Post

5. Inconsistent power delivery:- Apart from the handbrake issue, I also observed that the power delivery was consistent when tank is full. As and when the fuel level drops, there is a drop in power delivery, such that it feels that engine is starved of fuel. This issue got better after the first oil change.
The loss of power with lower fuel levels has been observed by me also. I always thought that it was in my head, a psychological feeling that i need to visit the fuel station soon.

But seeing the observation from other members confirms there is something amiss.
Old 21st November 2018, 12:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The loss of power with lower fuel levels has been observed by me also. I always thought that it was in my head, a psychological feeling that i need to visit the fuel station soon.

But seeing the observation from other members confirms there is something amiss.
I drive a WagonR manual which has done close to 70k kms. I have observed the same thing. The engine feels more strained when the fuel levels are low (<25%). The throttle response feels better within <1 km of me tanking up.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 12:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I drive a WagonR manual which has done close to 70k kms. I have observed the same thing. The engine feels more strained when the fuel levels are low (<25%). The throttle response feels better within <1 km of me tanking up.
This happens in the i20 as well! I'd expect it to be present in most vehicles, unless some cars have a mechanism to keep the fuel pressure up and constant irrespective of the volume in the tank.

This phenomenon happens because of hydrostatic pressure - which is more when the tank is full and reduces gradually as the tank becomes empty.
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:42   #42
BHPian

AMT/TC/DSG or whatever. An automatic is supposed to be convenient. This behavior is highly inconsistent & inconvenient. A lag of 3-4 seconds before engines picks up the power is quite dangerous as well.

Also, I see a lot of bhpians have given workarounds for the same. But doesn't it defeat the purpose of being convenient when you have to perform more actions in this car before climbing a slope than a manual.

Hope Tata is able to resolve your issues Stan.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:47   #43
BHPian

Update- car now at service center. Parts have arrived from Pune. Will update specifics once done, verifying any improvements .
Old 27th November 2018, 10:01   #44
BHPian

This was a scary read! Bought my wife an XzA last December and she complained of car moving back that we took it up with the dealer and after first service she informed me it is alright. I will need to check though once again thoroughly. Well the very reason I bought her an automatic to give her the independence of mobility and with all the bells and whistles it looks like that’s one thing still far fetched. She was comfortably driving my old wagon R for several years prior to that which I sold of after experiencing burning smells etc.I will check and come back.
Old 27th November 2018, 18:12   #45
BANNED

The AMT issues in TATA cars seem to be random unlike the pattern we have seen in Maruti cars, where in the issues mostly appear after 2-3 years of normal usage. Was looking around for user reviews of the AMT tatas and many seem to be happy with their cars like this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks