Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 16:09   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I think Tata Motors have finally made changes to their website! They now have a "star" and a microscopic footnote (which wasn't there in @kiku007's post)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The disclaimer reads "DurAlloy wheels are stylized wheel made of alloy steel with alloy wheel look-a-like wheel caps". They made it a point to use the word steel in there and when the say ' alloy wheel look-a-like wheel caps' they are clearly conveying to the customer that it is not an alloy wheel.
Thank you, Tata! We appreciate the quick correction. Please don't ever again indulge in such mis-selling practices. It just doesn't suit "Brand Tata".
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:16   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
I think Tata Motors have finally made changes to their website! They now have a "star" and a microscopic footnote (which wasn't there in @kiku007's post), here it is: Better late than never. This is the power of the community!
Thanks for sharing @PearlJam. Obviously someone at TaMo has been reading this thread on T-BHP

And quite possibly my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
All TaMo need to do is insert an asterisk after the term 'Duralloy' and a footnote in fine print somewhere else on the brochure or on the website to denote what it actually is. It may also save them from legal complications should Dulux take an objection to the use of their registered trademark.
Thank you Tata Motors. Now you are back to following the ethics you are known for.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 16:51   #93
BHPian

I supported Tata Motors in the features shaving thread as it is a normal industry practice to cut costs by rationalizing features during the lifecycle of any product as long as they do not compromise on safety and are not advertising those features.

In this case I cannot say the same. If this is not cheating, I do not know what is? I think they should stop using the word DurAlloy completely. Adding a footnote is not enough. The use of the word alloy is misleading. Footnotes are used by people who want to protect themselves legally.

Last edited by Theyota : 4th November 2018 at 16:52. Reason: a
Theyota is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 19:17   #94
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the Duralloy coating was chosen for the wheels (if it has actually been used) because it was named Duralloy?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 20:03   #95
BHPian

From the manufacturer of Duralloy which is an ABS based hard plastic coating I reproduce below:

Duralloy® may however, be used for a variety of purposes over varied substrates, from steel to aluminium. Examples of their application include bicycles, garden tools, lawn mowers and automotive components.

Obviously used in Auto industry but certainly not to be advertised as DurAlloy Wheels!!!
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 21:37   #96
Senior - BHPian

Controversy aside, this wheel looks fantastic for a steel pressed wheel and cap combo. Have a look!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!-img_20181104_124028854_hdr.jpg  

Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!-img_20181104_124236725.jpg  

Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!-img_20181104_124221838.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 09:42   #97
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
In this case I cannot say the same. If this is not cheating, I do not know what is? I think they should stop using the word DurAlloy completely. Adding a footnote is not enough.
I agree. While I'm very happy to see the footnote, Tata should stop using the "DurAlloy" name for this wheel cap + steel rim. It is grossly misleading. Forget Tata, I wouldn't expect even a shady company like Nissan to use it.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 09:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Controversy aside, this wheel looks fantastic for a steel pressed wheel and cap combo. Have a look!
Very nice indeed. A bit OT from the "fraud" angle that is being discussed in this thread - This arrangement can potentially give owners the flexibility to have various "alloy" wheel designs if Tata Motors can offer a few different types of wheel caps that fit on this wheel ? That would be a nice to have aesthetic feature in my view
narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 11:41   #99
BHPian

The Kwid Climber edition also comes with similar sturctured steel wheels and wheel caps that look like alloy wheels. But they didnt go as far as to imply they were alloys. They just call them "muscular style wheels".

Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!-screenshot_20181106201221_1.jpg

I too initially thought NRG wheels were alloy wheels. While it is a very novel idea that should replace all steel wheels, they shouldn't mislabel it as alloy wheels. That said, most customers go for alloy wheels for the looks alone. Looks have not suffered in any way by this method.

For the additional price, the NRG does have additional ground clearance, body cladding and exclusive paints. But there is a distinct loss of value when you consider the lack of alloys.

Last edited by vivekgk : 7th November 2018 at 12:06.
vivekgk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 14:16   #100
BHPian

The Tiago now has something called HyperStyle wheels. I think this is the name Tata has chosen for what they used to call Duralloy wheels. Looks good for a steel wheel + cap setup. Thankfully, they aren't implying that it is alloy any more.
kovilkalai is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 16:37   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
The Tiago now has something called HyperStyle wheels. I think this is the name Tata has chosen for what they used to call Duralloy wheels. Looks good for a steel wheel + cap setup. Thankfully, they aren't implying that it is alloy any more.
Yes, it's now called HyperStyle wheels instead of Duralloy. It's good to see TATA rectifying such things.

Here's the screenshot-
Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!-screenshot_20181203162418.png

And the star mark leads to this phrase-

*Hyperstyle wheels are stylized wheel made of alloy steel with alloy wheels look-a-like wheel caps

Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!-img_20181203_163521.jpg

Last edited by The_Outsider! : 3rd December 2018 at 16:48.
The_Outsider! is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 08:25   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
The Tiago now has something called HyperStyle wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider! View Post
Yes, it's now called HyperStyle wheels instead of Duralloy. It's good to see TATA rectifying such things.
Thank you, Tata! It's one thing to make a mistake & entirely another to not accept / rectify it.

Glad the misleading name has been dumped.

And in the future too, please don't indulge in such cheap tactics. It just doesn't suit what "Tata" stands for. If in doubt, simply ask the dignified gentleman whose name is on your building.

Last edited by GTO : 4th December 2018 at 08:56.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks