Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2007, 00:57   #1
BHPian

Disengaging hand-brake / gears from underneath the car

I have heard that the car lifting guys, who come with the cops in truck cranes to lift illegally parked cars are able to disengage the handbrake and/or gears in a matter of seconds from underneath the car and then lift it and take it away to the station. Is it true? If yes, then even thieves can do the same, right? I now pull the handbrake all the way up, lock the steering to one way and slot the gear in reverse when parking in a new/unfamiliar area.
Old 10th January 2007, 10:22   #2
BHPian

yes it is true, i have seen it done in delhi, areas like gaffar market and kamla nagar and all the car it is done on are maruti- 800, alto and zen atleast from what i have seen. it was shocking when i saw it for the first time around 10 years ago in karol bagh.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:40   #3
BHPian

I am not sure they can disengage the gear from underneath. They usually circumvent that by towing the car from the front end. Most cars are front-wheel drive and the rear wheels rotate freely.
Old 10th January 2007, 12:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

they cut the hand brake cable and tow lifting front wheel
Old 10th January 2007, 13:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
they cut the hand brake cable and tow lifting front wheel
Cutting the cable is legal ?? Maan this is scary.....how can they do that ? That can amount to robbery.

TOTALLY O T
-------------
I heard if a towing van is taking away your car , you can stop it if the number plates are in white background as only vehicles with yellow background on number plates are allowed to tow the cars. Is this true ?
Old 10th January 2007, 14:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

They use the handbrake in the cabin...the cars are unlocked first using various means. So no cutting of handbrake cables...if that were the case, many people would be dragging them to the courts.

Drifter
Old 10th January 2007, 16:51   #7
BHPian

Starting vehicle with steering turned to one end

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
I have heard that the car lifting guys, who come with the cops in truck cranes to lift illegally parked cars are able to disengage the handbrake and/or gears in a matter of seconds from underneath the car and then lift it and take it away to the station. Is it true? If yes, then even thieves can do the same, right? I now pull the handbrake all the way up, lock the steering to one way and slot the gear in reverse when parking in a new/unfamiliar area.

Starting a car that has power steering with the steering turned to one direction is harmful for the vehicle, puts extra load whilst starting.
Old 10th January 2007, 21:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Amby & fiat's gear could be disengaged from underneath since they used linkages as they used side levers for engaging gears. The floor shift version sits right on top of the gear box, hence no linkage. So, it is not possible to disengage the gear from underneath.

On the contrary, since most of the recent vehicles are front wheel drive, they are towed with their nose up..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
I am not sure they can disengage the gear from underneath. They usually circumvent that by towing the car from the front end. Most cars are front-wheel drive and the rear wheels rotate freely.
Old 12th January 2007, 07:19   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
since most of the recent vehicles are front wheel drive, they are towed with their nose up..!!
So what about Omni, which is a rear-wheel drive ?
Old 12th January 2007, 10:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

bangalore atleast twice i have seen these private guys cut the cable, once in koramangala and once near cmh road :(

if u park in toe zone, dont apply hand brakes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks