Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2018, 19:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Lodgy: Sudden problem with the brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is FNG ? Sorry, not much of a motorhead here. I spoke with my otherwise super-expert non-authorized service-centre mechanic (Abdul -- folks from Bangalore, Sarjapura Rd area might know him).
FNG - your friendly neighborhood garage - Abdul in your case.
But as Jaggu has said, if your vehicle is under extended warranty, you really don't have much option. However do insist on seeing the drum. Taking the drum off should not take more than 15 min per wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
mine was last changed at 30 thousand kilometers because the brake pad had broken and destroyed the drum, so both had to be changed,
Renault?
Normally we say pads for discs, linings (on shoes) for drums. So on first reading, one gets a bit confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I would also suggest using the OE part as much as possible.
This is where I differ. If we know this is a known problem (of course opinions will differ), why would one knowingly put the same crap on. And at Renaults prices. Normally there are a number of alternate sources for pads and linings. There might even be a Brembo offering!

If the drum has been damaged, I think one is stuck with Renault.

Quote:
Main thing is identifying what really went wrong
Agreed
Quote:
and fixing it, and ensuring it can be ruled out in the future.
How?
Do agree that for extended periods handbrake should not be applied. But that is because of the possibility of the cable freezing.
Not really the cause in Renault's case.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 28th November 2018 at 20:00.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 23:53   #17
BHPian

Will brake pad/lining change by FNG void my extended warranty ? Even though the Extended Warranty does not cover that part (stated very explicitly) ?
Old 29th November 2018, 09:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Do agree that for extended periods handbrake should not be applied. But that is because of the possibility of the cable freezing.
Not really the cause in Renault's case.

Agreed. For extended parking jack up the car, and keep wheels free. For mid term periods put wheel wedges and they should be under pressure so that they do not get stolen.
Short term paring with handbrake inch ahead a few inches after releasing handbrake. This releases the brake shoe if it is stuck due to moisture, a start in reverse can brake the lining of the shoe.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 12:02   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is where I differ. If we know this is a known problem (of course opinions will differ), why would one knowingly put the same crap on. And at Renaults prices. Normally there are a number of alternate sources for pads and linings. There might even be a Brembo offering!
I was not aware of any issues, have two duster 4x4's in close quarters and both of them are doing good. Hence I thought it is one off case. Regarding the price, I thought they were very reasonable. The radiator of one car was replaced and it was just 5k, which I think is very reasonable price.

Quote:
Will brake pad/lining change by FNG void my extended warranty ? Even though the Extended Warranty does not cover that part (stated very explicitly) ?
Why I prefer dealer is, they can be held responsible if there is a repeat issue (esp since car is under warranty, can be escalated to the manufacturer also). Where as with an independent garage unless you have good relation, thing are iffy. And all of this for what? Couple of 1000 bucks? Just not worth it.

I would rather ask dealer to take the car and FIX it for good!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 12:27   #20
Team-BHP Support

Oh! So this is indeed a known issue?!! Wow... and I was not even aware of this. They charged me royally and blamed it on poor practices with sudden braking at all times which although I denied but there was not much that could have been done other than to get this fixed at my cost.
Old 29th November 2018, 14:59   #21
BHPian

Update:

Turns out (as correctly predicted by forum gurus earlier) that the breakshoe lining had come off, and the "lock" that holds the adjustment screw/ratchet in place had also slipped out. The brake shoes seemed relatively smooth (not silky smooth) but much smoother than the highly abrasive surface of a brand new set of shoes with lining. After replacement of the brake-shoe (for rear wheels), the brakes feel as good as new.

Thanks a lot to this excellent community for your advice. All opinions and views are highly appreciated and all of them made me think hard on the choices being made (sometimes questioning my own judgement!).
bdutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 20:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Turns out (as correctly predicted by forum gurus earlier) that the breakshoe lining had come off, and the "lock" that holds the adjustment screw/ratchet in place had also slipped out.
All opinions and views are highly appreciated and all of them made me think hard on the choices being made (sometimes questioning my own judgement!).
Good to know.
Did you need to replace the drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
This releases the brake shoe if it is stuck due to moisture, a start in reverse can brake the lining of the shoe.

Rahul
For the rear brakes it is a leading/ trailing setup. Half the setup will not like the direction, irrespectice of the direction.

Brake linings sticking to the drums happens for two reasons - some mild adhesive property of linings and drums, or some actuating mechanism forcing and maintaining contact.
For the latter, frozen handbrake cable is one. Rusted pistons is another one. (Used to be very common on Maruti vans). In the hands of a careless driver, would cause the linings to burn out. If parked when hot, might even cause the drum to distort. But never have I seen the case of the lining coming off. Even in our not high on reliability pre Maruti cars. (Fiats/ Premiers had bonded linings.)

The first case - all it takes to release the linings is to drive a few feet in forward and in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Oh! So this is indeed a known issue?!! Wow... and I was not even aware of this. They charged me royally and blamed it on poor practices with sudden braking at all times which although I denied but there was not much that could have been done other than to get this fixed at my cost.
So run over the jaywalker in front of you. No panic braking please!
Old 30th November 2018, 09:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But never have I seen the case of the lining coming off. Even in our not high on reliability pre Maruti cars. (Fiats/ Premiers had bonded linings.)

Older cars had asbestos lining riveted to the shoes, this was reliable and never came off. The lining had holes where counter sunk rivets fitted, and rivets did not touch drum till about 80% of lining ws worn out. Secondly rivets were made of a alloy softer than the iron used to make the drums, so if they did touch, the rivets wore off, and the noise made the driver rush to the mechanic.
Currently the lining is pasted, and lining coming loose is common in all Renault, Nissan, and lower end Maruti vehicles.

Rahul
Old 30th November 2018, 20:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Older cars had asbestos lining riveted to the shoes, this was reliable and never came off. The lining had holes where counter sunk rivets fitted, and rivets did not touch drum till about 80% of lining ws worn out. Secondly rivets were made of a alloy softer than the iron used to make the drums, so if they did touch, the rivets wore off, and the noise made the driver rush to the mechanic.

Rahul
Yes Rahul, I know of rivetted linings. Which is why I specifically mentioned
Quote:
(Fiats/ Premiers had bonded linings.)
Quote:
Currently the lining is pasted, and lining coming loose is common in all Renault, Nissan, and lower end Maruti vehicles.
Renault and Nissan are essentially the same. If ones takes it as a ratio of incidents to population on the road, I think it's something to worry about.

Considering Maruti's population on the road, I guess it will be a statistical necessity. But the only case I know of personally was on a non OE shoe.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd December 2018, 23:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Considering Maruti's population on the road, I guess it will be a statistical necessity. But the only case I know of personally was on a non OE shoe.

BTW, I noticed that the replaced brake shoes were of BOSCH make. But then, I suppose BOSCH makes a product in various ranges i.e. from economy to premium/high-quality (like their wiper blades), and the economy ones may not be that great. Just saying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks