Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2007, 10:42   #1
BHPian

Streeing problem in Santro.

Hi Everyone,

I own a first generation Santro (1L Year 2000 model) which has done almost 45 K. For a few days I am having a problem with the steering of the car.

If I drive car with the streeing in the straight position, car tends to move to the left. (I have got down and cheked the tyre and they are pointing to the left even with the streeing at the centre straight position)

Is this the problem with the whell allignment or someting more serious?

BHpians please advice.

Thanks,
Amit.
Old 12th January 2007, 10:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

get the car steering system checked at a dealer and get ur wheel alignment checked.

did this symptom started one fine day or was gradual, any garage work done just before?

is it a slight pull or heavy?

should be just alignment or worse cum worse one of ur tie rod ends gone kaput, best give to a dealer or garage and checked
Old 12th January 2007, 12:37   #3
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit
If I drive car with the streeing in the straight position, car tends to move to the left. (I have got down and cheked the tyre and they are pointing to the left even with the streeing at the centre straight position)
What exactly do you mean by "with the steering in the straight position"? Looks to me like you would like the car to go straight if the steering wheel is in a certain position, but the car is going to the left. So what I suggest is to straighten out your wheels so that the car is going straight, and then get the steering wheel fixed in the position that you want (I think you can remove the wheel and then fix it back in the new position that you want). The play should also be adjusted correctly -- maybe you have too much play.

Or else simply note the position of your steering wheel when the car is going straight -- that is your "straight position" of the steering wheel, if you can live with it. Maybe the steering wheel is not screwed on tight enough and so the position is slowly changing -- you can get this checked.

Last edited by rks : 12th January 2007 at 12:40.
Old 12th January 2007, 19:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry, it's a simple prob (have it on my Vtec). All you need to do it remove the steering and move it into the left grove (depending on the degree of misallignment). The steering bolt is usually found under the manufacturers logo, on the steering. If it still doesn't straight'n up, you'l have to allign the wheels to get an accurate result.

BTW, does your car move to the left if you take your hands off the steering? If so, get the wheels alligned.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 12th January 2007 at 19:48.
Old 16th January 2007, 23:50   #5
BHPian

I had the same problem that occured on my santro recently. Came up after I got the wheel alignment done. The steeering was perfectly aligned before, after the wheel alignment, the steering centre position was not in sync with the front wheels.

The mechanic turned the steering to get the wheels in the straight position and then removed the steering and fixed it back with a couple of degrees turn to get it straight. Should take more than a few minutes to get it done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks