Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 11:02   #16

Hi Paul63, technically curious, as a driver worried now. I too have taken this up with Hyundai. This is serious. I am driving down from Cochin to Coimbatore today. Hope the problem doesn't recur. Keeping my fingers crossed.

In the meantime can you share with me the e mail ID of Hyundai to which you have taken up this issue? I have for starters taken it up with the dealer and the Hyundai customer care. Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2018 at 07:55. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 6th December 2018, 12:46   #17

Re: Hyundai Creta: Brake failure, pedal goes all the way in

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy68 View Post
In the meantime can you share with me the e mail ID of Hyundai to which you have taken up this issue?
hyundai.crm@hmil.net
Old 6th December 2018, 22:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi you mentioned about a brake failure in your car as well. Could you please share with us what was the reason attributed for the failure?
Guess you mean me.

The vehicle was a friends Honda City, of unknown provenance.
A brake pipe sprung a leak, and that resulted in the reservoir totally emptying out, with no braking in either circuit. The reservoir design was to blame, which I put down to someone fitting a non OE part.
Similar to what happened to Ringoism. His is a more detailed explanation.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...ml#post4438087 (Our Marshal DI 4x4 NGCS)

Somebody else also had a complete brake failure on a modern vehicle on this forum. But did not get back with details.
OK found it
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4276457 (Renault Duster : Official Review)

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 6th December 2018 at 23:13.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 21:12   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul63 View Post
However, on 1st Dec 2018 I noticed the ABS car skid LED lighting up along with the ABS warning indicator LED as can be seen from attached image. brakes functioned normally,

On 2nd Dec, i experienced the panic situation described by navy68, ie. brakes shuddering when applied with no braking function, fortunately was just driving out of my building parking so speed was 10-15 kmph only, managed to steer and then brake to a stop. that panic situation resulted in a severe leg cramp for me.
My suspicion is a faulty control module AND/OR the ABS unit. Any hydraulic leak is a one way ticket. Once that happens and an air bubble forms in the circuit full functionality cannot and will not return to your braking system until the system is bled.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th December 2018 at 21:13.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 10:24   #20

Braking problem fixed, the ASC changed the hub & bearing assy, which hosts the ABS sensor as well. Creta braking well now after strenuous braking tests on Tar and Concrete road stretches, will observe in future drives for recurrence if any. HMIL corporate is also monitoring the issue post my escalation to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My suspicion is a faulty control module AND/OR the ABS unit. Any hydraulic leak is a one way ticket. Once that happens and an air bubble forms in the circuit full functionality cannot and will not return to your braking system until the system is bled.
Paul63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 11:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Braking problem fixed, the ASC changed the hub & bearing assy, which hosts the ABS sensor as well. Creta braking well now after strenuous braking tests on Tar and Concrete road stretches, will observe in future drives for recurrence if any. HMIL corporate is also monitoring the issue post my escalation to them
Thanks for updating and I am happy to read the critical brake problem has been resolved. But I must admit at being a bit foxed at the symptoms exhibited by the system vs the solution the ASC has provided.

Quote:
I took the Creta to the ASC (Shreenath Hyundai Jogeshwari, Mumbai) on 3rd Dec and after a check advisor identified some ABS sensor problem, also reassured that braking function will not be affected.
The service advisor is correct. The ABS sensor in the hub monitors wheel speed and lockup. This data, a series of pulses as the wheel rotates or the absence of these pulses in case of a lock up or if the vehicle halted, is fed into the ABS controller. A failure of this sensor does not cause basic braking function to fail. Please keep a close eye for any unusual symptoms with the brakes till they are proved to work faultlessly over the next week or two.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th December 2018 at 11:33.
Old 8th December 2018, 12:54   #22

Quote:
Great.
I too had an incident-free 450 km drive yesterday. But the question still remains unanswered. Why did the brakes fail if at all it was just an ABS issue and no brake fluid leaks. Hope they come out with an explanation rather than wait for a mishap for further investigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Thanks for updating and I am happy to read the critical brake problem has been resolved. But I must admit at being a bit foxed at the symptoms exhibited by the system vs the solution the ASC has provided.

The service advisor is correct. The ABS sensor in the hub monitors wheel speed and lockup. This data, a series of pulses as the wheel rotates or the absence of these pulses in case of a lock up or if the vehicle halted, is fed into the ABS controller. A failure of this sensor does not cause basic braking function to fail. Please keep a close eye for any unusual symptoms with the brakes till they are proved to work faultlessly over the next week or two.

Cheers!
Absolutely. The brakes should not fail with a wheel sensor failure. Doesnt make tech sense.
By the way, would anyone of you have the hydraulic schematic and the ABS system layout of the creta?

Last edited by navin : 8th December 2018 at 13:09.
Old 18th January 2020, 21:18   #23

Why does a jarring noise occur when one turns the vehicle down the slop? Is it a kind of defect or major problem as i face the same issue in my new Kia Seltos.
FidoDidoLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 22:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDidoLK View Post
Why does a jarring noise occur when one turns the vehicle down the slop? Is it a kind of defect or major problem as i face the same issue in my new Kia Seltos.
My basement parking has a steep slope and I observe this noise 1 out of 4 times I turn and move down the slope on my Seltos. I recently got my brakes checked (you can read about it on pages 18, 19 and 20 of the official review thread). As per the service engineer it's just the ABS kicking in because of detection of different rotational speeds on different wheels while the brakes are being applied. ABS can get activated even at crawling speeds.
Old 18th January 2020, 22:58   #25

Does it also happen when turning on an incline?
Old 19th January 2020, 10:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Per the explanation given to me it should. But I haven't observed it on climbing inclines so far.
Old 19th January 2020, 10:35   #27

Quote:

Was driving down the nilgiris a few months ago and i did get the same jarring noise while taking a hairpin bend..thats normal and its the ABS activated due uneven rotational speeds.
Old 19th January 2020, 14:01   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksv View Post
Per the explanation given to me it should. But I haven't observed it on climbing inclines so far.
Quote:
Was driving down the nilgiris a few months ago and i did get the same jarring noise while taking a hairpin bend..thats normal and its the ABS activated due uneven rotational speeds.
It does because Traction Control switches ON due to different wheel speeds observed and to prevent loss of control, ABS switches ON and applies the brakes.

This is what I've observed in my Creta SX(O).
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks