Team-BHP - Hyundai Creta: Brake failure, pedal goes all the way in
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Hyundai Creta: Brake failure, pedal goes all the way in (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/204475-hyundai-creta-brake-failure-pedal-goes-all-way.html)

Hi,

This is regarding an incident yesterday that I thought should be brought to the notice of all Creta owners.

I have a full option Creta (D), 2015 September model. Was driving at about 30-40 KPH along the busy MG road in Cochin. the car ahead of me was at a distance of about 20-30 ft. He braked and I did the same. But then my brakes failed and I just about managed to use my hand brakes to bring my car to a halt though couldnt avoid a knock on his bumper. Thankfully no major damages. Now the details.....when I braked, there was this jarring sound (Like the ABS being activated) which some of you may have experienced while turning your creta while coming down a slope. And the brake pedal just went down all the way (literally floored) with absolutely no braking available. Though at a speed of 40, this was scary and the more I think of it the more I realize how lucky I was. The hand brake thankfully helped in bringing the car to rest though it did a bit of damage on the Maruti Dzire up ahead.

The strangest part here is that there have been no indications of any ABS failure prior to this incident. I then drove the car to the kerb side and experienced the same issue again. After about an hour, I then drove very cautiously to the Popular Hyundai service centre at Cochin. At this moment the mils indicator lit up - the traction control and ABS lights.

Awaiting call from the workshop to know more about the issue.

If anyone has faced a similar issue, kindly let me know. I thought to bring this to the forums notice since its a serious safety issue. Look forward to member's advice.

Safe driving.....

The brake pedal going down the floor is a hydraulics failure somewhere, when you pressed hard on the brake pedal, one of the seals somewhere blew and let all the pressure aka brake oil out or the master cylinder failed, either ways its a serious issue!

Master cylinder failure. Really should not happen in a 3-4 year old car. Hope you have extended warranty.

ABS module failure should not affect normal braking.
Pedal going down to the floor means a leak in the hydraulic circuit, as others have mentioned. Or a failed master cylinder.

Regards,
Saket

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

What's going on??! The brake failure was oh-so-late 70s problem. I still remember reading accident reports in Malayalam newspapers when I was a schoolkid, that in most cases "it is said that the accident occurs because brakes of the vehicle have failed".

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4506924)
ABS module failure should not affect normal braking.

agree: AFAIK the very basic of ABS is to work as a negotiation agent between full brakes and panicked steering. Optimum (but not 100%) brake force will be enforced, and optimum (but not 100%) maneuverability will be retained.

As a result, in the case of an ABS failure, 100% braking will be available clap: but the driver will lose maneuverability.

This should be a case of a failure in Master brake circuit. The heydays of yesteryears' Ashok Leyland Comet revisited.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navy68 (Post 4506859)
Hi,

This is regarding an incident yesterday that I thought should be brought to the notice of all Creta owners.

If anyone has faced a similar issue, kindly let me know. I thought to bring this to the forums notice since its a serious safety issue. Look forward to member's advice.

Safe driving.....

Congrats on your first post on team-bhp, even though it is a sad one. I could not control myself after seeing your join date and number of posts stupid:.

Brake failure is one of the most dreaded thing that can occur to a moving car, happy that nothing bad happened to you. Please update here the work in progress and the reason for such a failure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 4506909)
The brake pedal going down the floor is a hydraulics failure somewhere, when you pressed hard on the brake pedal, one of the seals somewhere blew and let all the pressure aka brake oil out or the master cylinder failed, either ways its a serious issue!

Just got back my vehicle. rear wheel speed sensor defective and replaced. No hydraulic leaks. No air in system. The dealers are in the dark as I was (am). wheel speed sensor is essentially for activating the ABS when required. No reason why the brakes should fail. They say this is the first case thats come up. If anyone has a similar issue, please do let me know. In any case I have asked the dealer to take up with Hyundai since this is a serious issue & they've promised to get back to me. Will share when they respond. Cheers.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pavi (Post 4507001)
Congrats on your first post on team-bhp, even though it is a sad one. I could not control myself after seeing your join date and number of posts stupid:.

Brake failure is one of the most dreaded thing that can occur to a moving car, happy that nothing bad happened to you. Please update here the work in progress and the reason for such a failure.

:):thumbs up
Sure will follow up with response from Hyundai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 4506909)

Have taken the vehicle from the workshop this evening. They found a rear wheel speed sensor defective and replaced. No other hydraulic issues - leaks or air in the system, no other issues with the brakes as such..... The dealer is as flummoxed as me. They have referred this case to Hyundai and awaiting a feedback from them. Shall notify as I get a response.
Cheers.

I'm intrigued (but I'm a bystander. You should be in a towering rage demanding explanations). But do keep us posted. Would really like to know what happened. Today's braking systems are designed to be 'failsafe' (at least from single point leaks). Though some people on this forum (me included) have faced total brake failure in modern cars.

Lucky you did not crash into something hard. Then all faults would have been said to be the result of the crash, not the other way around.

Regards
Sutripta

In cases like these, what one should do to stop the vehicle immediately is to shift to 1st (if speed is around 40-50km/h) or 2nd (if speed > 50km/h)and release the clutch, the car will come to a very jerky stop. But this maneuver should be employed in the emergency only (if there is no other option) as it will damage gearbox significantly.

Hi you mentioned about a brake failure in your car as well. Could you please share with us what was the reason attributed for the failure? Just for academic interest.....
Well i have probably crossed the age when one tends to pop a few blood cells when confronted with such a situation....being a mechanical engineer and a mariner as well, have seen much more. Neverthless yes its scary to thinknof what would have happened if i was on the highway and clipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navy68 (Post 4507185)
Just got back my vehicle. rear wheel speed sensor defective and replaced. No hydraulic leaks. No air in system. The dealers are in the dark as I was (am). wheel speed sensor is essentially for activating the ABS when required. No reason why the brakes should fail. They say this is the first case thats come up. If anyone has a similar issue, please do let me know. In any case I have asked the dealer to take up with Hyundai since this is a serious issue.....they've promised to get back to me. Will share when they respond. Cheers

:):thumbs up
Sure will follow up with response from Hyundai.....

My suggestion is that you take up this issue with Hyundai directly and try to get somebody from Hyundai to inspect as it is a serious issue.

PS: I assume you couldn't recreate the 'brake failure' situation when you reached the service center. Dealer has treated the symptoms but actual cause is yet to be verified.

Quote:

Originally Posted by somspaple (Post 4507288)
My suggestion is that you take up this issue with Hyundai directly and try to get somebody from Hyundai to inspect as it is a serious issue.

PS: I assume you couldn't recreate the 'brake failure' situation when you reached the service center. Dealer has treated the symptoms but actual cause is yet to be verified.

@somspaple...yes I have drafted a mail to the dealer and to Hyundai customer care. And yes the 'Brake failure' couldn't be recreated at the service centre :)
Did I mention that the Mils indication did come on after the accident for a few seconds and thereafter went OFF, never to re-appear again. :)

Anyways, I hope they come up with a believable technical diagnosis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain (Post 4506916)
Master cylinder failure. Really should not happen in a 3-4 year old car. Hope you have extended warranty.

Aren't most cars fitted with twin hydraulic circuits? With two master cylinders in tandem, in case one should fail ?

I encountered the same problem reported by navy68.
Mine is a August 2015 (first lot) Creta SXO (D) and had no braking issues except the typical reported ABS grovelling sound on loose earth/sad/pebbled roads.

However, on 1st Dec 2018 I noticed the ABS car skid LED lighting up along with the ABS warning indicator LED as can be seen from attached image. brakes functioned normally, so I called up my Hyundai service advisor and reported the problem noticed on phone, he requested to bring the SUV to the ASC to check. The Lights went off after about 15 mins without further issues.

On 2nd Dec, i experienced the panic situation described by navy68, ie. brakes shuddering when applied with no braking function, fortunately was just driving out of my building parking so speed was 10-15 kmph only, managed to steer and then brake to a stop. that panic situation resulted in a severe leg cramp for me.

I took the Creta to the ASC (Shreenath Hyundai Jogeshwari, Mumbai) on 3rd Dec and after a check advisor identified some ABS sensor problem, also reassured that braking function will not be affected. Went back home, and yesterday (5th Dec) faced the same brake pedal shuddering and failing issue when i was moving out of my building parking area at low speed, this time was prepared to use parking brake lever if required, but brakes functioned after that momentary failure so managed to drive out safe. this time no ABS lights came on.

Now taking the Creta for a complete check and to report and escalate this to Hyundai Service Management in their HQ for detailed probe, analysis and report. This can be a life threatening situation if it occurs at speeds on roads/highways and am not letting Hyundai mgmt off the hook unless i get a clear explanation and complete resolution.

I shall update later with progress for users to learn/understand and act if such a case happens with them. We are probably the first 2 Creta users reporting the brake fail issue, which has nothing to do with ABS needing to kick into action.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navy68 (Post 4506859)
Hi,

I have a full option Creta (D), 2015 September model. Was driving at about 30-40 KPH along the busy MG road in Cochin. the car ahead of me was at a distance of about 20-30 ft. He braked and I did the same. But then my brakes failed and I just about managed to use my hand brakes to bring my car to a halt though couldnt avoid a knock on his bumper. Thankfully no major damages. Now the details.....when I braked, there was this jarring sound (Like the ABS being activated) which some of you may have experienced while turning your creta while coming down a slope. And the brake pedal just went down all the way (literally floored) with absolutely no braking available. Though at a speed of 40, this was scary and the more I think of it the more I realize how lucky I was. The hand brake thankfully helped in bringing the car to rest though it did a bit of damage on the Maruti Dzire up ahead.