Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 15:14   #1
BHPian

Engine head replacement on my Tata Hexa

I was at the Tata service center today for regular service and some minor problems with my car (Hexa XTA) and was informed that last night (7th Jan 2019) they received a circular to replace the 'head' of certain cars and mine was one of them. I confirmed, if by 'head' he meant the whole head of the engine, and he agreed . He has now ordered a new head for me.

A head replacement is a big thing, I think Tata should come out with more details of this.

Although, to be honest: I'm still not convinced that the full head will be replaced, i am guessing its just the head cover or something. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Will share more details when i get them.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th January 2019 at 18:04. Reason: typo
jalsa777 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 17:49   #2
BHPian

re: Engine head replacement on my Tata Hexa

UPDATE: It actually is a proper full blown head replacement.

My car was bought in August 2017, so must be manufactured in May - July 2017. This ain't good news. No one likes their engine opened. Head replacement at the service center means new gaskets, new sealants, et al. If the work is not done properly, it could mean leakages and I could be in for multiple visits to the service center.

Can someone with links in TML share more light on this. What is the issue, why does it need to be replaced?
jalsa777 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 19:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post

My car was bought in August 2017, so must be manufactured in May - July 2017. This ain't good news. No one likes their engine opened. Head replacement at the service center means new gaskets, new sealants, et al. If the work is not done properly, it could mean leakages and I could be in for multiple visits to the service center.

Can someone with links in TML share more light on this. What is the issue, why does it need to be replaced?
This seems to be a serious issue and TML should make it clearer on the issue and the batch of vehicles that are impacted. They have just started climbing up in the PV chart. TML has to handle this issue with honesty and openness to maintain the reputation that they have gained in the recent past.
Old 8th January 2019, 19:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:

My car was bought in August 2017, so must be manufactured in May - July 2017. This ain't good news. No one likes their engine opened.
This is surely a shocker and can badly hit the Hexa sales. I was really happy looking at the Hexa sales being a 20L car and this news can't be digested by the core fans of Hexa - especially the affected proud owners

Why Tata, Why??

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th January 2019 at 16:25. Reason: minor typo :)
Old 8th January 2019, 21:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

During Hexa's launch we have heard such statements as quoted below. Now with this news of recall coming in, what does these statements suppose to mean to us in real world?

Quote:
Tata Motors stated that the Hexa MPV was tested for 8,00,000kms of the distance across the three continents - Australia, Europe and Asia. Hexa can operate in temperatures ranging from -20 degree centigrade to 50 degree centigrade.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 21:22   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
During Hexa's launch we have heard such statements as quoted below. Now with this news of recall coming in, what does these statements suppose to mean to us in real world?
This is Corporate sales talk. Don't take it too seriously. No matter which company and regardless of the domain that company is in.

@jalsa777 - I feel for you man. But then any mass manufactured vehicle can have issues due to the large number of component suppliers. Speaking as someone who had a Tata vehicle in the family, niggles and bugs are par for the course. But not to worry they will take care of you. TML's customer service is very responsive. Way better than some of the more illustrious marques we car lovers go ga-ga over.
R2D2 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 22:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

@jalsa777 - I feel for you man. But then any mass manufactured vehicle can have issues due to the large number of component suppliers. Speaking as someone who had a Tata vehicle in the family, niggles and bugs are par for the course. But not to worry they will take care of you. TML's customer service is very responsive. Way better than some of the more illustrious marques we car lovers go ga-ga over.
I agree with you. I absolutely love my car and the experience so far. They have been very proactive when it comes to changing parts as a recall and I'm very happy they're doing that. The car is excellent and I have done more road trips than before because it's such a good car.

They have replaced multiple small parts over the year pro-actively, viz. Some AC/heater components, gearbox vent tube, the tyre pressure sticker was updated.
I shared this because this is a big recall and I feel Tata should inform the customer about it and why it is necessary.

This ain't a Tata bashing thread. I'm actually glad they're taking action over a potential issue before it causes damage or reliability problems. However, such a thing shouldn't have happened in the first place. And now that it has happened, I think the customer should know what's going on.
jalsa777 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 23:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE: It actually is a proper full blown head replacement. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
... But not to worry they will take care of you. ...
Wow.. really feel for you buddy. As far as the customer is concerned, this is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. Installing a fully assembled engine along the assembly line in a factory, step by step during the manufacturing process is completely different to some inexperienced showroom mechanics removing a bunch of parts from a new vehicle to get to the cylinder head, and then removing and reinstalling the cylinder head.

Even if the part quality is good, and the mechanics are given exact step-by-step instructions on how to carry out the process, with the current service centre expertise, I highly doubt it will be carried out with perfection.

After all this marketing and hard work, this is not happening on a 20L car. That too in a new car!
dhanushs is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 23:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This ain't a Tata bashing thread. I'm actually glad they're taking action over a potential issue before it causes damage or reliability problems. However, such a thing shouldn't have happened in the first place. And now that it has happened, I think the customer should know what's going on.
Tata deserves brickbats and kudos where they're due. They MUST improve product quality. No two ways about it.

Is getting the head replaced better than an engine replacement experienced by an owner whose brand new Hyundai Verna did just over 150 kms before it failed. Details here: Verna Engine replacement Not according to me. A premature vehicle failure has an emotional and other impacts on the owner. Neither type of failure is acceptable from an owner's point of view.

Also, remember, Corporates disclose (or do not disclose) root cause analyses data when it suits them. There can be financial and legal implications. It is CYA all the way.

Last edited by SDP : 9th January 2019 at 05:49. Reason: Typo
R2D2 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 23:32   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If 10 cars do 80k each, then also it becomes 8,00,000 kms man. By the way, I still feel that test cars come out of the components out of fresh dyes and hence are any ways supposed to be a bit better; even if its 0.001%.

That said, recalls are not due to the fact that all the cars are faulty. Even if they found something alarming in one car from a batch (metallurgy issue or some other or maybe a CNC machine on some shop floor did some notorious job on that particular day) and the probability of a failure is higher in all such cars; they just do the recall.

And I for one, appreciate the manufacturer to come ahead and make a recall instead of taking the risk of having a few warranty claims. Recalls have both positive and negative impact altogether in fact.

Quote:
However, such a thing shouldn't have happened in the first place. And now that it has happened, I think the customer should know what's going on.
The reason for recalls is same as stated above, did Toyota ever knew that the accelerator pedals will make them more famous than their andon cord?
But yes, customers deserve to know exactly what the reason is behind the recall.

PS: Can you confirm if Safari 400 blocks are also affected by this recall? Safari 400 uses the same block if I am not wrong.
VKumar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 11:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was at the Tata service center today for regular service and some minor problems with my car (Hexa XTA) and was informed that last night (7th Jan 2019) they received a circular to replace the 'head' of certain cars and mine was one of them. I confirmed, if by

Will share more details when i get them.

Jalsa, kindly post the details of the TASS where you are getting it serviced and do post some evident proof where it says there is a recall for Engine Head replacement by TATA.

Have spoken to 2-3 people at Tata who are at various levels and all are totally surprised.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:46. Reason: Do NOT personally attack any BHPian or make baseless accusations
gowda79 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 11:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I was at the Tata service center today for regular service and some minor problems with my car (Hexa XTA) and was informed that last night (7th Jan 2019) they received a circular to replace the 'head' of certain cars and mine was one of them. I confirmed, if by 'head' he meant the whole head of the engine, and he agreed . He has now ordered a new head for me.
Thats pretty bad...do you mind posting the circular. I am early adapter of Hexa, I would say the first batch and have contacted higher up's at TML. They are pleasantly surprised by this news.

Please share the service center, the circular and VIN of the car. Also do confirm with the service center again.

Thanks for understanding.

-PK

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2019 at 07:53. Reason: Do NOT make unnecessary comments on Team-BHP
pk_del is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 11:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
and was informed that last night (7th Jan 2019) they received a circular
Thanks mate, really appreciate your effort to communicate this news with us here. My Hexa XTA is Oct 2017 manufactured and I'm very apprehensive about this news. Can you please confirm with your service advisor about this news. It will help if you can post the information about your service center.

After 20k on the odo, the beast is absolutely flawless and I intend to keep it for a long time. But these info opens up the pandorabox of nightmares. Please followup and help us informed.

Request to Mods: please hold the thread until we get confirmation from TML

Last edited by doxinboy : 9th January 2019 at 11:57.
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:00   #14
BHPian

I spoke to Customer Relationship Manager and he too said the same thing - no recall & rumours floating around.
tifosikrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 12:38   #15
BHPian

Not really sure if this is a widespread recall. Can we get more details OR at least name of the service station which gave news of this recall.

Checked with my service GM and he said no circulars yet. Want to check again, with some concrete info. Please share details.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed