Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2007, 17:18   #1
BHPian

What technologies you don't like in modern cars?

I wonder how many of you actually think all modern features in latest cars are actually useful.

Here is my list. Please add yours and state what do you think about them.

Note: not all features are available in all cars! A common problem to all of them - it costs to fix them even though more often that not car can be driven nicely otherwise.

Feature - Distance to Empty [DTE] - shows how far you can travel before refuelling
Problem - constantly changes the distance depending on your driving speed etc. So, not reliable

Feature - Fuel economy mode indication (digitally or thru dial)
Problem - constantly changes depending on gear and speed. Not much accurate. May instigate driver to speed unnecessarily with false hope of better fuel economy.

Feature - Limp mode (if onboard computer diagnose engine trouble, it won't allow you to rev over 2000 RPM) untill you diagnose & fix the problem from dealer/garage.
Problem - You may be stranded on road with max speed of 40 km/h because your computer thinks you should not travel above that speed. Electronic glitch with perfect mechanically sound engine can cause this.

Feature - Power windows on front
Problem - terrible pain when they stop working while glass is halfway down!

Feature - Power windows on rear
Problem - Same as above. But now with 4x windows, they are twice as likely to fail. Agreed, front power windows are good and useful - but why on rear?

Feature - Door ajar indicator on dashboard
Problem - malfunction can make you think all doors are closed while mechanically they are open! Always better to ensure doors are closed by drivers & passengers.

Feature - ESP - Electronic Stability Program or Traction Control
Problem - Can leave you dead if it fails at high speed, you may cause accident in cars where it isn't there (after driven one with ESP fitted)

Feature - Steering mounted audio controls
Problem - You may be tempted to listen to music more often assumming you are in control. Result less concentration road (with normal audio controls you may decide to turn off music on busy roads).

Feature - Remote Central Locking
Problem - If thieves get hold of your key anyhow, they can easily discover which is your car in parking lot.

Feature - Unconventional dashboard layout
Problem - Some cars (eg. Toyota Yaris, Nissan Primera, some Renaults etc) started placing instrument cluster in centre (like old Ambassadors) instead of in front of drivers. They do it to save cost on LHD/RHD exports. These are awkward to look at and often causes distraction.
Some ultra modern technologies (eg. intelligent wiper, ingelligent headlight on, rear camera/parking sensors, infrared night vision etc.) have been left as majority of us do not access to cars with those features.

Old 16th January 2007, 18:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dont get me wrong but this post is a bit pssimistic in nature I mean if this fails or that fails. If we have to think like this then anything & everything can go wrong. Like:

What if the engine drops out of engine bay while on highway
Reaso: Some cars like Aveo boast that in case of accident the engine will fall down rather than come inside passenger cabin.

I was expecting more on the lines like ABS which actually increases the braking distance in some cases or ESP which kills enthusiatic driving.

My 2 paisa on your list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post

Feature - Distance to Empty [DTE] - shows how far you can travel before refuelling
Problem - constantly changes the distance depending on your driving speed etc. So, not reliable

Agreed

Problem - constantly changes depending on gear and speed. Not much accurate. May instigate driver to speed unnecessarily with false hope of better fuel economy.

Why will anyone speed up to get economy

Feature - Limp mode (if onboard computer diagnose engine trouble, it won't allow you to rev over 2000 RPM) untill you diagnose & fix the problem from dealer/garage.
Problem - You may be stranded on road with max speed of 40 km/h because your computer thinks you should not travel above that speed. Electronic glitch with perfect mechanically sound engine can cause this.

Would you rather have a busted engine?

Problem - terrible pain when they stop working while glass is halfway down!

What if the door window handles jam up?

Problem - Same as above. But now with 4x windows, they are twice as likely to fail. Agreed, front power windows are good and useful - but why on rear?

I though rear was more usefull if you have people sitting at back. Also same as above

Feature - Door ajar indicator on dashboard
Problem - malfunction can make you think all doors are closed while mechanically they are open! Always better to ensure doors are closed by drivers & passengers.

Wow another malfunction, btw even teh room light will tell unless that too has gone kaput or switched off

Problem - Can leave you dead if it fails at high speed, you may cause accident in cars where it isn't there (after driven one with ESP fitted)

I belive this is a brain Malfunction :-D

Problem - You may be tempted to listen to music more often assumming you are in control. Result less concentration road (with normal audio controls you may decide to turn off music on busy roads).

I disagree

Problem - If thieves get hold of your key anyhow, they can easily discover which is your car in parking lot.

What about the case where you yourself cant find the car? & anyways thives are better in find others cars than the owners :-D

Problem - Some cars (eg. Toyota Yaris, Nissan Primera, some Renaults etc) started placing instrument cluster in centre (like old Ambassadors) instead of in front of drivers. They do it to save cost on LHD/RHD exports. These are awkward to look at and often causes distraction.
Some ultra modern technologies (eg. intelligent wiper, ingelligent headlight on, rear camera/parking sensors, infrared night vision etc.) have been left as majority of us do not access to cars with those features.

I am wondering whether we are better of with flintstone type cars

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th January 2007 at 18:15.
Old 16th January 2007, 18:11   #3
DRC
BHPian

Feature: Engine
Problem: It is very difficult to push the car if the engine fails

But then what would you prefer...Horse?
Feature: Horse
Problem: Very difficult to pull the car if the horse dies

Sorry for going off topic. Jokes apart, technology has always tried to make things easier for us and more reliable. The down side is it is also rendering the machine too complex. Just a useless fact, In 1950s, the airplanes were very simple and the aircraft design by that time was pretty mature. The airframe has not seen any major change since then. But still there used to be a crash almost every week. Today with all the omprovement in technology the aircraft is much more complex, beyond compare wrt old ones but yet a lot reliable.

There are always features (irrespective of technology) which you like "should have worked the other way". I just live with those.

Last edited by DRC : 16th January 2007 at 18:19.
Old 16th January 2007, 18:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

i would say key in ignition- alarm, irritating !! cant someone give a button next to key hole which can temp disarm the same
Old 16th January 2007, 19:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

Just my few humble thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Still it gives an approximation, wont it???

Have no experience with this one... :(

I feel its better than having a blown engine if the computer was right about the problem...

Have both negatives and positives... But, i feel its a really nice feature to have...

LOL: Must be why earlier Maruti's (including my wagonR) came with PWs only in the front

If one intends to push the car to that limits... Well... God save you...

Its a real pain adjusting volume of the music system... That times 10 times more concenration that adjusting it via the steering... In my wagonR, the system is set low... I really have to take off my eyes to adjust all this... I have had scary situations during the same... Steering mounted sterio controls are welcome anyday, IMO

Well.. HAvent thought that way... Nice thinking...

True... I was thinking in case of the Spark, how to keep note of the speed... You'll have to take your eyes of the road everytime, right???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i would say key in ignition- alarm, irritating !! cant someone give a button next to key hole which can temp disarm the same
Cant agree more... The real pain is when, the car is parked... can sit in the car only with all the doors closed, otherwise, it gets so irritating... And specially, when guys come to check out the car, or the music system, or whatever, this alarm beeps its way to glory... Its has its positives, i know... But sometimes, gets very very irritating...
Old 16th January 2007, 19:20   #6
BHPian

SMG Gearboxes and Flappy Paddles - Just an annoying overbearing novelty - give me a real stick please -Thank you very much.
Old 16th January 2007, 20:03   #7
BHPian

The thing which I find most irritating is the reverse horn/music..It bugs me to know that this isnt a standard accessory fitted by the manufacturer/dealer, but by the owner himself. It is needed, and therefore I have one with pleasant music fitted on my car, but with an on/off switch on the dashboard. If I need to switch it off when during odd hours or in non-honking zones, I always do, so that it doesnt disturb others. Wish my neighbours were this considerate though!!

To sbasak: Hey! You can find a fault/problem in almost everything that is being put into a car. People need some of these features and go for it knowing very well that most parts of a car arent fail-safe. And most manufacturers know it and are striving to make better & fool-proof products.
Old 16th January 2007, 20:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, I don't remember if it was this forum or someplace else, but I ran into a link to a fellow's rant on Nanny car's.

I was thinking of starting a thread/poll on the same lines .. (aka the 'Q' car thread ) .. but guess ones almost the same .. so here's the link FYR ..

Chris speaks his mind about....nanny cars
Old 16th January 2007, 21:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd say that remote locking is overhyped - if your car is taken only to known areas (office, house), humankind can live without this
Old 17th January 2007, 16:52   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dont get me wrong but this post is a bit pssimistic in nature I mean if this fails or that fails. If we have to think like this then anything & everything can go wrong. Like:
Totally agreed. I dont agree with the opening post, but to answer the thread title:

NONE that I can think of. Technology fascinates me....e.g. its mindboggling to see the traction control light blink and correct when coming down Lonavla ghats. Ceramic brakes, xenon headlights, common-rails etc. are just celebrations of automotive progress.

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2007 at 16:53.
Old 17th January 2007, 17:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

If technology fails, its not the features fault.
Agree with DRC : I really hate the brakes in my car. If they fail it will cause an accident!
On a more serious note, if we come to technology's we I hate in modern car, can't think of anything! Maybe if cars come with a speed governer, I will crib, until then as far as technology is concerned, no issues.
Old 17th January 2007, 17:33   #12
BANNED

1. Speed limiter
2. Rev limiter
3. Ignition alarm
Old 17th January 2007, 17:48   #13
BANNED

I HATE that voice that tells you things like your seat belt's not fastened, door's open, your low on fuel... DUH I KNOW THAT
BUTTT
It does help bla bla bla...
Old 17th January 2007, 17:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have a really backdated old technology/design car, so am not really in a position to comment

If I'd point out one thing it's the door ajar beep as someone has already pointed out. Does get irritating. There should be an override for it.

Regarding indicators failing - I had such an experience with my erstwhile Suzuki Shogun. I used to diligently abide by the oil (2T) indicator - topped up again when it went red. After 2 yrs of this best practice, the light failed on me (bulb went kaput apparently after the bike bore the brunt of the monsoons). I came to know only when the engine seized. Thankfully was riding at < 40km when that happened.
Old 17th January 2007, 18:10   #15
rks
BANNED

One technology in my relatively low-tech Santro that keeps failing is the manual central locking system. What happens is that people keep pulling on the door handles when the car is locked and when I am opening my front door lock. That seems to cause the cental locking system to fail. People also keep operating the locks individually despite my telling them repeatedly not to do so. I had to get the central locking fixed a few times.

Of course if a technology fails, then the solution is to fix the problem and get better technology, not to abandon it.

Last edited by rks : 17th January 2007 at 18:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks