Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2019, 09:17   #16
BHPian

re: EcoSport with rebuilt engine - Keep or sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
My entire concern arises from 'What if something goes wrong??!!'..since there was no warranty offered.
Since they replaced the parts of the engine, ask FORD for an extended warranty. If they refuse, SELL!!
If they agree, use it till the time you have the warranty and then Sell.
Old 31st January 2019, 09:28   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: EcoSport with rebuilt engine - Keep or sell?

If the engine was repaired at some unknown local shop, I would have told you to sell it. But since it's been done at the authorised dealer & free of cost with company support, keep it. I'm pretty sure the rebuild is top class and the engine is as good as new.

An engine problem in today's cars is a rare exception rather than the rule. You probably have a higher chance of being struck by lightning, over the engine giving a problem again.

Keep it, drive it, enjoy it.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 09:51   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep the car. Observe for excessive oil consumption, funny noises etc for around 10K kms. If all is good for 10K/1 Year then keep the car.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 12:07   #19
BHPian

Engine developing a fault is rare.
Bent Valves and piston falling on its own could be a manufacturing fault.
Perhaps you may feel the difference in overall engine characteristics but if you are going to use it less ,it would be wise choice to keep it.
If it develops same problem again, you can get it repaired and sell it off.
Old 31st January 2019, 14:10   #20
BANNED

Why not let a compression test be the judge?

If all is well keep the car, else dispose of it.
Old 31st January 2019, 14:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

The car is fine, with the possible exception of the engine. I shall assume that the engine was repaired under guidance from the Ford factory, in which case I would assume it is a pretty good job. If on the other hand, it was just a jugaad done by a roadside mechanic, there would be cause for worry. In my book, this vehicle is worth keeping. Definitely keep an eye on the engine for the next six months to a year and do some long drives with it. That should help guide you on its true health.
Old 31st January 2019, 15:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

If usage is within city limits it should be ok. However I wouldn't take it for long drives given it was opened up prematurely.
Old 31st January 2019, 17:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a tricky question. In my experience, each A.S.S. is entirely different in expertise and perfection of work carried out.

This is a major work done on the car. Assuming the engine part is OK, but - in a modern CRDe car, the number of wires, sensors and fitments that need to be removed to access the part where the work was done is BIG. However careful an A.S.S is, I don't think they can achieve the level of perfection that comes from the factory.

That said, the car may run perfectly, or you may face small niggling issues. I'd say that depends entirely on luck. As for me personally, if I can afford the bad luck, I'd sell off the car and get peace of mind. If I cannot afford it, well, I'd run it, but with my eye on the gauges all the time, and with heightened senses just to get the max out of it. Like I run my custom built Jeep. Not entirely, but I hope you get the gist.
dhanushs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 18:31   #24
Senior - BHPian

Root cause seems to be cam drive failure. Did they change the head, or just the valves? (Because it is so seldom encountered nowadays, mechanics often lack the skill necessary to lap the (very hard) exhaust valve seats of a modern diesel). If you do not get a satisfactory reply on these two points, expect future trouble.

Otherwise things should be OK. Use the car for a couple of months, then take a decision.

Generally agree with Dhanush above, but would expect ASS to have access to SOP, and so be competent. Their general level of work previously can act as a guide.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 10:17   #25
BHPian

Going through the thread what was the real issue with the car? is it a timing chain slip that made the engine faulty? or it was some other issue.

Another thing i noticed in this thread, few teambhpians has written about their experience with their cars once reaching 1.5 lakhs.
Does the modern car engine lifetime is 1.5 Lakhs KM ?
I have driven my car (linea) for 1.3 lacks and its engine is worn out now. white smoke and oil consumption like hell. I have replaced the turbo with a new one to rule out the issue of it. Now its confirmed that its only the engine that is worn out. so going to replace half engine.

Regarding your car if it was due to a timing chain issue and it damaged the valves and piston, then a replacement of all the damaged parts is enough for the car. Please make sure they check all the components of engine and it does not have any issue. I would keep the car than shelling out few more lacks for a new one. Use it for another year or two and sell it.
For my car i have replaced the timing chain every 60K.

Regards,

Hari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks